How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

What if it is just the geoclass region making it fail. Maybe it needs to know where we are from and it's not getting that info and defaulting to fail?!

Trying to get fully into a combat mission in the tutorial but it keeps freezing with the spinning spaceship.

Getting alot of this:

fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Info log received from GLSL shader #211:
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Vertex info
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log -----------
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[2]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[3]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[4]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[5]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[6]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[7]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[8]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[9]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[10]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[11]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[12]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[13]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[14]" might be used before being initialized
fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log 0(19) : warning C7050: "vs_out[15]" might be used before being initialized
^Cfixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process fc on event 0
fixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 35 on event 0
AL lib: (WW) ReleaseThreadCtx: 0xf7a0e810 current for thread being destroyed
AL lib: (WW) ReleaseThreadCtx: 0xf7a0e810 current for thread being destroyed

I also get this:
fixme:d3d9:d3d9_swapchain_Present Ignoring dirty_region 0x56f5e98.
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet

Edit: Is it possible to manually enter your region in one of those files to get it to not need to look for the georegion. I'm not sure how it works. I thought I saw a setting for it somehwere but i don't know how it works o what the input would need to be.

Found this: https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2016-March/148303.html Not sure if it will help.

My game has gone back to full screen again... If you open up the 32bit demo from the 64bit launcher it is more likely too open it up in windowed mode. But it will then try to potentially go fullscreen while it is in windowed mode. It is a bit odd..

Got into the trial demo again. This time on the 64 bit client. It finally didn't crash going into the mission.
64bitwine:
4ll1zSJ.png
32bit POL:
hUxjRRG.jpg
I think you can hit alt enter after a certain point in the loading to get out of fullscreen. But it keep restarting in full screen. I haven't figured out how to make it stay out of fullscreen like before.

Last edited:
This is one of the most exciting screenshots of Elite Dangerous I've seen!

Really looking forward to not have to muck about with dual booting.

Noobilite, please report all these screens to Wine bugzilla, because this is already next stage - to understand which shaders and textures crap out :D And nice persistence, thank you for all digging there! :)

Noobilite, please report all these screens to Wine bugzilla, because this is already next stage - to understand which shaders and textures crap out :D And nice persistence, thank you for all digging there! :)

I'm not quite sure how to accomplish that. All of the threads on it in the winehq are down because of lack of maintainers and the debug stuff is a bit confusing...

This isn't much use to me yet but I really appreciate the efforts you guys are putting into this. Hopefully this work will encourage FD to work on this officially.

In the meantime +1 op :)

Reproduced the red and white-black colors in the 32 bit POL version in wine 64bit.

New Wine 2.19-Staging 64bit: (Inside of the demo!)
AJMr5kA.jpg
This means the color scheme from my pol stuff is now reproducable in wine in a 64bit bottle. We can look now at two color sets.

The difference between the last pic and this is I added a few more winetricks to see if it helped:
d3dx9 (all)
wininet
winhttp
mshttp?

on top of the original:
dotnet452
quartz
corefonts
vcrun2012

Exact dlls in library:
atl110
d3dx9_24
d3dx9_25
d3dx9_26
d3dx9_27
d3dx9_28
d3dx9_29
d3dx9_30
d3dx9_31
d3dx9_32
d3dx9_33
d3dx9_34
d3dx9_35
d3dx9_36
d3dx9_37
d3dx9_38
d3dx9_39
d3dx9_40
d3dx9_41
d3dx9_42
d3dx9_43
mscoree
msvcp110
msvcr110
quartz
vcomp110
winhttp
wininet

Also:
Windows Version: Windows 7
Enable CSMT for better graphic performance
Wine 2.19-Staging

I'm unsure which one caused it atm. Requires further testing.

Last edited:
The regular wine install wasn't letting me install anything past the 2.19staging I have now.. I was trying to figure that out. Not sure if fedora 25 does not have access or not. Not quite sure yet how to do that properly yet.

NVM, I think I got it.

On 3.0-rc5. It fixed the problem with 2.19-staging not allowing you to see most of the elements on the launcher. Now they flicker in and out and I can move the mouse over them to see them like when I was in POL with version 2.21 and higher.

Let me switch to staging. How did you get 3.0rc4 staging?

Last edited:
Looks like ED on Wine is "Elite Dangerous - Onionhead Version" at the moment but this is very exciting.

I presume once you get the game running it's easier to work though the bugs.

I would through significant money, perhaps a few hundred a year, at someone with software that could easily and reliably run a good proportion of games on Linux without dual booting, and it seems like at this point the only major stumbling block is DirectX 11.

Have been playing with the idea to purchase this game, but the missing support for Linux has put me off several times, so every now and then I checked if something had happened in terms of Linux support. When I checked again this time I was pleasantly surprised that finally somebody got the demo version working under wine. This is great and I am enjoying the progress made in this topic.

So please keep up this great work and you might get FD another customer...maybe...

I wish you all the best and lots of success...

3.0r6 is out and I got into the demo, but there is a lot of lag now. I don't know if it's from settings or something else. Maybe it's trying to process something it wasn't before. It's also back to the green/black colors instead of the read/grey ones I think I left it as. This may indicate a change. Although I switched desktops so this may change things(I also may have edited the libraries in wine and forgot.).. Still getting the CRC error. I'm going to drop the settings to see if lower settings help with the stutter.

It still takes x amounts of restarts to get into the demo. That had felt a little snappier one r5 possibley. Could be my imagination.

It did startup and show the crc error alot better trying to get into horizons though after 3.0r6 installed. I haven't tried this again though.

Has anyone tried newer version of dotnet in wine?

BTW, I keep forgetting to say this. There is a missing dash in line 2. of the 64 bit instructions. It says: WINEPREFIX=~/edwine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012

It should say: WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012

This causes it to make a new folder if someone simply copy and pastes.

I forget this sometimes and copy and paste and it causes stuff to go in the wrong place.

Edit: I'm getting error with aspnet_regiis.exe when installing dotnet46 in wine. I was getting an error with 452 also but I didn't see what it was. I was not able to start the launcher with my last remake of teh bottle. Trying to resolve this now. Trying 46 to see if it helps. Haven't see if the error effects the launcher yet. Install seems to have finished. Trying to load winetricks and test the launcher again. I might just need to reinstall again and see if 452 works if this fails. may have been a one time problem.

I keep getting this:

mscoree(native)(disabled)
WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe"
0034:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe") not found
0034:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe" failed, status c0000135

This is the same message from 452 if I'm not mistaken. I'll test this later.

The previous times it was working I had the other packages from when I made the stuff go red/grey.. It stopped working after freshly reinstalling after upgrading to 3.0-rc6.

wine-3.0-rc6
dotnet46
corefonts
quartz
vcrun2012

I changed it to:

added:

wininet
winhttp
mshttp
d3dx9

That should be my previous install besides using dotnet46 now. I'll revert back to 452 and see if it changes anything. It was working on the fresh upgrade. I wonder what the difference is.

mscoree(builtin)(builtin, native)(native, builtin)
WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe"
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"configSections" in state 2
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"sectionGroup" in state 6
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"section" in state 6
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"enforceFIPSPolicy" in state 4
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"userSettings" in state 2
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"CobraBay.Properties.Settings" in state 6
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"setting" in state 6
0034:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"value" in state 6
0034:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed

deleted and restarted bottle with dotnet452 again. Got the same aspnet_regiis.exe error. Not sure if it finished installing afterwords. But it did the same as dotnet46 and went to the finish screen.

New errors:

0012:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
0012:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
0014:err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
0014:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
0014:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_64" failed to start: 1053
002f:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe") not found
002f:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe" failed, status c0000135

wine3.0-rc6
dotnet452
corefonts
quartz
vcrun2012
windows2003****

this is from windows 2003 instead of windows7. does it relate to the problem? It's looking for msvcr120 instead of 110 which it has. If you set it back to windows 7 it gets the same errors as dotnet46.

Reinstalled with 2.21staging: (similar errors plus some extras.)

fixme:kernelbase:QuirkIsEnabled3 (0x33ed58, 0xffffffff) stub!
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"EDLaunch.resources"

Last edited:
3.0r6 is out and I got into the demo, but there is a lot of lag now. I don't know if it's from settings or something else. Maybe it's trying to process something it wasn't before. It's also back to the green/black colors instead of the read/grey ones I think I left it as. This may indicate a change. Although I switched desktops so this may change things(I also may have edited the libraries in wine and forgot.).. Still getting the CRC error. I'm going to drop the settings to see if lower settings help with the stutter.

It still takes x amounts of restarts to get into the demo. That had felt a little snappier one r5 possibley. Could be my imagination.

It did startup and show the crc error alot better trying to get into horizons though after 3.0r6 installed. I haven't tried this again though.

Has anyone tried newer version of dotnet in wine?

BTW, I keep forgetting to say this. There is a missing dash in line 2. of the 64 bit instructions. It says: WINEPREFIX=~/edwine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012

It should say: WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine WINE=/usr/bin/wine64 ./winetricks dotnet452 corefonts quartz vcrun2012

This causes it to make a new folder if someone simply copy and pastes.

I forget this sometimes and copy and paste and it causes stuff to go in the wrong place.

Edit: I'm getting error with aspnet_regiis.exe when installing dotnet46 in wine. I was getting an error with 452 also but I didn't see what it was. I was not able to start the launcher with my last remake of teh bottle. Trying to resolve this now. Trying 46 to see if it helps. Haven't see if the error effects the launcher yet. Install seems to have finished. Trying to load winetricks and test the launcher again. I might just need to reinstall again and see if 452 works if this fails. may have been a one time problem.

It's really great to see your progress and perseverance. As I mentioned previously I cannot commit anytime to this until the end of the month at the earliest, but after having read your previous posts, you're a Trailblazer. You get Elite if you get it working ;)

Great work CMDR, hope to compare notes with the rest of you soon!

o7

Yeah, for some reason 3.0-rc5 could not find me a dlls too...It kept looking in other places expect c:\windows\syswow64. Something got broken for Wine64.

Edit: so I installed Dotnet 4.5.2 installer outside winetricks, it didn't me any good.

Also note - syswow64 is for win32 libs and system32 for win64 libs - On Windows 64. Yeah, go Microsoft.

Last edited:
I forgot you can start up the 32bit.exe in Elite Dangerous/Products/Combat_Tutorial_Demo/EliteDangerous32.exe

You can test the 64bit this way also for crc failure.(Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/EliteDangerous64.exe) But the launcher is borked. NVM, I seem to be having troubles there too. But not sure how much.

For some reason playonlinux and wine aren't playing nice. If you install playonlinux it reverts the 3.0rc6 back to 2.19 staging... And installing 3.0rc6 removesstuff for wineserver, which is needed for winetricks, which i installed by installing playonlinux?! Is anyone else having this problem?

It's getting wineserver not found when using 3.0rc6 because of this? This is because of the above problem with the installs. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Edit: Launcher is working again. Install with just dotnet4.5 and it starts normally. This may mean it will be working in playonlinux also.(Nvm, I forgot dotnet45 doesn't install on 64bit in POL.) Either way it works in wine again! 8D

I am getting an error when running the trial and stuff. Installing the other recommended items from this thread to see if it resolves it.

Edit: I believe I got into the demo with dotnet46 installed. It is 45 or 46. I forget which one I installed. Either way the visuals are slightly different this time. And I'm only using the dotnet version and I think it's in windows xp version atm. It also started up more seemlessly this time. I'm not sure if it's luck or stability.

wine 2.19 staging
dotnet45 or 46
windowsxp

I will change it to 7 and try the normal game. I didn't realize it was in xp mode and I was having issues with the normal game mode crashing. Although I did notice it did not produce the CRC failure or had not done so by time it crashed.... Testing to see if it is gone.

Pic:
EcWkALR.jpg
I keep playing this when I start it just in case it works:
[video=youtube;QwxYiVXYyVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxYiVXYyVs[/video]

I'm getting this now from upgrading to winehq-devel with version 3.0-rc6. It's messing up wineserver somehow. I'm going to try to manually install but I have no idea how to do that properly besides one place saying two folders to put it in. I'll have to find it again.

wine client error:0: version mismatch 544/547.
Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

I keep getting an error when opening the normal game. So, I haven't gotten to test the CRC failure yet. Edit: 2.19 staging?! CRC failed again.

Edit2: finally got 3.0-rc6 installed properly. Restarted the computer before reinstalling to make sure no extra process were hidden.

I think I tested it in all version and there were still crc errors.

Edit: John Rhys just posted this in one of the other linux threads. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...in-implementing-direct3d-11-over-vulkan/page3 How does this fair us getting support eventually? Also here is a link from that thread to the install instructions: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/blob/master/README.md I haven't tried it. So, I have no idea if it works.

Edit2: Does anyone know what this is?

<RenderVersion>2</RenderVersion>

It's in: ed-wine/drive_c/users/{user}/Local Setting/Application Data/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Startup/Settings.xml

There is also this: ed-wine/drive_c/users/{user}/Local Setting/Application Data/Frontier_Developments/specs.xml <- Different folder

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<DxDiag>
<SystemInformation>
<Time>1/24/2018, 03:38:49</Time>
<MachineName>localhost</MachineName>
<OperatingSystem>Windows XP Professional</OperatingSystem>
<Language>English (Regional Setting: English)</Language>
<SystemManufacturer />
<SystemModel />
<BIOS />
<Processor>AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor(0 CPUs), ~3300MHz</Processor>
<Memory>8042MB RAM</Memory>
<PageFile>6118MB used, 10116MB available</PageFile>
<WindowsDir>C:\windows</WindowsDir>
<DirectXVersion>= "DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)</DirectXVersion>
<DXSetupParameters>Not present</DXSetupParameters>
<DxDiagVersion />
<DxDiagUnicode>1</DxDiagUnicode>
<DxDiag64Bit>0</DxDiag64Bit>
</SystemInformation>
</DxDiag>

I assume it's not using this, but this is the same no matter what you change wine to. And thinking about it this may be where I saw the region setting... I wonder if there is another version in the other folder with settings for 64bit. If it's relevant to the geo region thing.

Edit99999: I noticed my client did not upgrade and was not trying to upgrade after the most recent patch. Is it possible the CRC has to do with the launcher not updating software even though it says it is up to date? I'm running validate files, but as the check game files option may be always giving a false positive I don't know if it's ever correct or up to date. Could there be other similar things wrong with the launchers update and check system that is causing the CRC failure currently in wine?!

NVM, there are option down farther in the menu next to play that says install 3.0 beta and what not. Installing now to test beta access.

Also if you have playonlinux and install winehq-stable or similar you may get a 4 line warning involving winserver and whatnot. If you restart, or possibly relog, and wine will fix it like normal and begin to run things normally afterwords.

Edit100000: Tried both betas. Got crc failure still.

Last edited:
So, I'm trying to get this to work, I hate dual booting to windows but I really would like to help try and get Wine to work with ED.

I'm using wine 3.0 from the debian sid repository directly and a fairly recent winetricks, nothing else.

You can use the steam edition if you wish. Here's what I did to create a new special area:
1. mkdir /media/games/elite
2. cd /media/games/elite
3. steamcmd +login <me!> +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformBitness 64 +force_install_dir ~+ +app_update 359320 validate +quit

This will download ED steam edition into the current directory (I used /media/games/elite) - you need the 64 bitness otherwise you get a 32 bit launcher and good luck getting a hybrid 32bit/64bit wine prefix working!

4. WINEARCH=win64 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~+/wine winetricks dotnet452
5. WINEARCH=win64 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~+/wine winecfg <- set to windows 7
6. WINEARCH=win64 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~+/wine winetricks corefonts quartz vcrun2012

And now you should have an elite directory containing the launcher (EDLauncher.exe) and a subdir containing all the wine stuffs.

to run the game I used
WINEARCH=win64 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=~+/wine wine explorer /desktop=BLAH,1920x1080 ./EDLaunch.exe

this runs the game on a virtual 1080p desktop, and seems to help with glitchiness in the launcher. I am able to get right into the combat demo. There seems to be no key bindings for some reason. The game is weirdly laggy and I probably need to do some things to help that. Also, it has all the graphical glitchiness you have screenshotted above.

But hey, it's WAY more than I really believed was possible. I think CSMT might help quite a bit, I'll probably play with that and other tweaks in a bit...

There was a version of wine, I think rc6, that got bad lag in game temporarily. All others versions were fine. I still don't know why. I think the lag stopped after reinstalling or changing version. Possibly even after going back to rc6. So, it might go away. Normally, for me, once you are in game(in the cockpit) the performance is great. It's the context menus, like adding the keybinds in options, that makes you likely to freeze and crash(This includes the screen when you win a scenario.). Besides that, once in game, I usually get oddly smooth performance. You just might need one of the red/while color combos so some of the interface is visible in your cockpit. It also likes to stall on the screen with the spinning ship while loading.

Not sure how visible this is in my cluttered post above:

Edit: John Rhys just posted this in one of the other linux threads. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...r-vulkan/page3 How does this fair us getting support eventually? Also here is a link from that thread to the install instructions: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/blob/master/README.md I haven't tried it. So, I have no idea if it works.

Anyone know how likely this is to help or has seen or tried this yet? Any chance this will get us in the game faster.

Out of curiosity how could you try to get the mac version working. I just realized I can dl it since I bought the collectors set on sale. Has anyone tried that on linux yet?

Last edited:
There was a version of wine, I think rc6, that got bad lag in game temporarily. All others versions were fine. I still don't know why. I think the lag stopped after reinstalling or changing version. Possibly even after going back to rc6. So, it might go away. Normally, for me, once you are in game(in the cockpit) the performance is great. It's the context menus, like adding the keybinds in options, that makes you likely to freeze and crash(This includes the screen when you win a scenario.). Besides that, once in game, I usually get oddly smooth performance. You just might need one of the red/while color combos so some of the interface is visible in your cockpit. It also likes to stall on the screen with the spinning ship while loading.

Not sure how visible this is in my cluttered post above:

Anyone know how likely this is to help or has seen or tried this yet? Any chance this will get us in the game faster.

Out of curiosity how could you try to get the mac version working. I just realized I can dl it since I bought the collectors set on sale. Has anyone tried that on linux yet?

Repped. You're at the font-line, cutting edge of all this. Nice finds there! Let's hope it helps...

o7

Keep them coming :) I am very busy at the moment, so no useful testing from me. But when Fedora pulls Wine 3.0 staging I will give a shot.

I did something that finally made the game auto generate a DisplaySettings.xml in: "/home/{user}/ed-wine/drive_c/{user}/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Development/Elite Dangerous/Option/Graphics"

Once this was auto generated by the game it relies on it for a reference for it's window settings and you can use it to adjust the resolution and if it's full screen. I've tried putting the file there manually in the past but it didn't work. I don't know why it started now. Possibly you need to let the 64bit client run until it loads all of those shaders and tells you it had a connection error. Possibly without freezing. Or you have to run the Demo and get into the settings and use it once or get in game or similar. Or possibly the install of the beta did something. I'm uncertain. But for now I can set it to the given resolution in that file and consistently get the resolution for starting up and testing. For now at least.

-------------------------

I'm also going to mess with the render version in Settings.xml located at: "/home/{user}/ed-wine/drive_c/{user}/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Development/Elite Dangerous/Option/Startup"
And see what happens. Anyone know if that is something I need to avoid doing?! 8)

Original value is, "2", btw.

Edit: I set it to a value of "1" and it seems to be going full screen again. That could be random coincidence though. It turned the, "play", button into an, "install", button after shutting down the main game window. It also seems to be setting itself back to "2"... That or I had an extra copy of the file open and it had the original value or something. I'm not sure on this one.

Changed to "3" also. But it keeps setting itself back to "2". So I guess it's not important.

------------------------

It did however as some point set the false in fullscreen back to "1".... I'll try to trick it again into, "false" and see if it sticks for normal versions. I think I use false because after saving in the demo it changes it to false instead of 0 or 2 even though the default fullscreen value is 1.

The fullscreen value is acting the same way and resetting to "1".

I'm going to try to get into the demo and change it legitimately and see if it sticks. Edit: Changed it in the demo and saved it and the new value was changed to "false" in the displaysettings.xml.

Edit2:
Demo just came up windowed.

Edit3: 64bit hoizons(non beta) came up windowed and changed the value back to "1".

The files in the game folder with appconfig.xml all have modified values for, "1280" and "720" and, "false" in fullscreen. It seems to be ignoring this. Not sure why it keeps temporarily staying windowed for a while. I have yet to figure out how to do this purposely.

I just changed it to false before starting up the launcher manually in DisplaySettings.xml and it started windowed when starting the Horizons 64bit beta. Maybe the beta has something to do with this last instance. It does not seem to be reverting the file back to fullscreen, "1". And now the normal Horizons 64bit is doing the same and keeping the modified settings and starting windowed... Maybe the trick is not to change the value while the launcher is up. Or to start the beta first before others. Even if one of these is correct, I'm not sure how it auto generated the files finally. It has the entire folder of stuff and did not have this before. Maybe it was the demo and I forgot.

BTW, I'm using Kwrite with the file open to see when it tells me it wants to reload to watch it's behavior. Not sure which programs do and don't have that feature.

Edit: I shut down the program and launcher and so far it is preserved at windowed, "false". Maybe it will stay this time.

EditX: I will shutdown my computer and restart and see if it still works. Results: Still windowed. Apparently you may need to set the fullscreen in the displaygraphics.xml before starting the launcher or something. It will then stop trying to revert the setting. Or at least I hope so. If not I haven't found the entirety of the behaviour yet. To get it to auto generate the files for this you may need to get it into the demo first and use the settings. Afterwords it may start using this file for settings in all other versions of the game. Although I haven't tested this from scratch to see if it works. There could be other reasons. You may also try setting it to full screen off in the settings menu in the demo.

If we're lucky the issue with fullscreen messing stuff up may be gone.

Edit: It changed back to fullscreen after changing hide wine from program in the wine settings under staging.. It may do this in other situations. It's basically reverting the file back to default settings, "1", when it detects any manual/significant change or similar. I repeated the above and manually changed the setting to, "false", in DisplaySettings.xml and it went back to windowed. But I think it must be done before opening the launcher. This seems to be describing the behavior at this point enough to avoid it. 8) Basically, beware any changes it might detect as it will reset the values in that xml back to default. And simply change those settings back to the desired ones after applying changes. You can check the file manually to see if it changed anything back before starting the launcher.

I was in the advanced combat scenario and got this:
EfJ06XZ.png
I would say it is the best color combination so far. It makes everything much easier to see. I have no idea why it changed to this though. The last scenario I was in was the red and grey color combination. Maybe it has to do with the surroundings in the game environment or something. Edit: This color is persistant when I got into the Advanced Combat scenario.(Which I just complete btw. 8D)

Tip: If your desktop has this, Ctrl+Alt+Esc is an easy way to shut down windows/process. I use this to close down the game when it misbehaves. It's also really good for quickening the restart time on attempts to get the game up. If mine doesn't look like it will work, I Ctrl+Alt+Esc and click the window to close it and then restart it from the launcher. Makes the 5-10 attempts get in successfully a lot quicker and less painful. Helps against the full screen one also potentially. It's the fastest way to get rid of troublesome processes when they are attached to a clickable window. This is particularly useful with this game as the X buttons to close the windows don't seem to respond to anything and it's quicker than opening the system monitor and finding the process. It helps streamline everything quite a bit. Using it on the game window will not make the launcher quit. So, you can close the game client and wait for the play button to pop back up on the launcher without having to restart the launcher.

EditX2: it just randomly reset it self back to "1" after having the computer off for a bit. Not sure what triggered it, but I closed down the launcher, then changed the file manually, and then restarted the launcher and it was back to windowed. So, it is still working but there may be random unknown reasons for it to revert back to default, "1". and fullscreen. So possibly leave this file open with Kwrite or another similar program to see changes or look before opening the launcher. And if you get fullscreen and don't want it randomly repeat the above steps.

I have a feeling in the past I was changing the value while the launcher was open and this was triggering the change back to, "1" and causing it to keep in fullscreen. This is why it never stopped going in fullscreen no matter how I set it. That or I was opening it before I made it auto generate the proper files using the demo.

Oddly it's also just repeated asking me for hardware check now in the demo for no apparent reason.. It may not be doing something correctly. It might be related to why it put the fullscreen setting back to default. Maybe it's related to why there are no default keybinds or similar too.

I just ran the launchers, Options/Display Hardware Survey and then restarted the beta client and it set the fullscreen setting to default, "1" again. So anything that changes any file before launching a client will revert it to fullscreen. That is also something to look out for. I assume because it makes a change to a base file. I'm testing changing it with the launcher open again to see if it works again.

Result: It caused the weird problem where you can't select the mode but have to use up and down arrows and the play button is inaccessible. You have to hit enter to activate the choice you want. I wonder if this is reproducible. It may have been caused by either changing the full screen to false manually while the launcher was up or the previous use of hardware survey causing it to detect a change and change it back to default. either way the visual anomalies related to the mouse in essence not being in the correct place and thinking it's in the window above with the game info and not on the play button is occurring now seemingly constantly. Maybe this will lead to some understanding of the bugs occurring?!

Edit: This is now causing a very slow or non existent start of the game client. This may be something to test to weed out more problems with the game client. Maybe it will fix other things if we figure it out. The good news is it did not revert the fullscreen to default, "1". But it's not poping up a client and there isn't a process to shut down and the launcher did not revert back to the play button being available after the second attempt to open a game client. Although EDLuanch.exe is still in process with no used CPU and basically inactive. I had to restart the launcher.

Edit: Restarting the launcher did not set back fullscreen to default, "1". It is still running windowed. Neither did running hardware survey this time... Changing the fullscreen setting manually back to, "1" while the launcher was up did however recreate this problem potentially. But it cut straight to where it did not open a client and the launcher is with no cpu and no play button. I once again had to use the enter button to try to start a client again. It's also making the default mouse action while trying to click where the play button used to be to be Move and grasps the window in a move action. Stopping the launcher process and restarting resolves this problem. Still not sure what caused the initial change overnight to fullscreen again?! (The problem with the mouse messing up is so far reproducable by manually changing fullscreen, and possibly other settings, while the launcher is up and then starting a client. I have yet to differentiate doing this while the client is running.)

Edit:
It may also be switching randomly between the red/grey and the new green/black colors after starting a new scenario. If so this could be a behavior to figure out. It could also be static and I'm remembering it wrong per scenario.

Edit: Nope, I was right. It is changing color schemes per start of a scenario. It was just red/grey and I restarted again after a freeze and it is green/black in the same scenario.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note. Does anyone know how to install DXVK correctly for trying that. If I can get it installed I can at least see how it works in the demo. I can test if it fixs textures and post some screenshots.

To simplify the fullscreen problem:

1. Succesfully get in the demo to the point of the options menu and use fullscreen option to off and possibly apply/save it. Or whatever makes it autogenerate all of the normal files in:
"/home/{user}/ed-wine/drive_c/{user}/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Development/Elite Dangerous/Option/Graphics". I haven't fully tested which is needed. Normal files should be: "Custom.fxcfg, DisplaySettings.xml, GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml, Settings.xml, StartPreset.start". Manual placement of theses files will not work from my testing. This step can potentially take up to 5-10(realistically 2-3) tries depending on how it chooses to act. It can freeze and crash at many points along the way. But you should only need to do this once per install. Use the above Tip about CTRL+ALT+ESC if your linux desktop supports it. It speeds this up considerably. Using X on the window usually doesn't close either windows.
2. Close the launcher and possibly the game client if needed.

3. Change the file, "DisplaySettings.xml" to the desired settings while the launcher is closed. Make sure fullscreen is set to "false" or it will not work. It's default is "1" to indicate fullscreen is active. No other settings work as far as I can tell. Also, default screen resolution is "1280" by "720". Unless that changes based on your desktop size or monitor hardware settings. Do not modify this file while the launcher is open.
4. Restart the launcher and restart the game.
5. All versions of the game should now use that files settings.
6. Check the, "
DisplaySetting.xml," every day or so as it tends to get reset somehow on it's own between uses. If reset repeat above from step 2. (Edit: The recent installer for the Launcher with 3.0 required me to start from step 1 again even though it already had the files in question. Afterwords it worked the same.)

*** To reiterate, make sure to make all changes while the launcher is closed or it will auto generate setting in this file back to default and cause all the wonky behavior we keep seeing.

Another tip before step 1 is to keep your display settings for you desktop up. Fullscreen has a tendency to change your desktop settings in a wonky way. You will literally be able to scroll around the deskto because it's your previous resolution in the background but the foreground is a shorter window. I'm assuming this may be from X11 as I use KDE which I don't think I'm using wayland yet. And I've experienced this with games in the past before wayland existed. You will notice the settings possibly display being in a lower resolution in the physical bar for the settings and be in the position for something like 1280x720, but will either say the correct lower resolution or your desktops previous full resolution when it shouldn't. It seems to change between them. I have no idea why or with what pattern.

On a successful load of the game, not requiring you to
CTRL+ALT+ESC, you will hear the sound start to play fairly fast. Although every time you hear the sound does not indicate it will be completely successful and may freeze or do various other things at various points along the way. If the game stops loading successfully after the 2nd or 3rd attempt, try restarting the client and the launcher. Likewise, if it freezes on loading a scenario and the ship stops spinning. It will likely not continue and load and you can exit the client. It does on occasion but it takes time for this to happen potentially. And from my experience it rarely will.

-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if it bugs anybody, I write long post because I add to it while I'm testing a lot of the time so I don't forget things afterwords. It also might help preserve the testing results. Although it's a bit wordy and probably hard to read. 8)

One thing I haven't gone over that might be a big QOL thing. Does anyone have the default settings file and or settings for the keybinds. It is the last thing needed to simplify this down to minimal hassle given the current state of wine and the game for trying this on linux. The keybinds are a pain to set. There are a lot of them and the options menu and similar things tend to crash and freeze the game easily. This mean you have to try to get in many more times to continue setting them if you managed to even save them. I'm not even certain which file they are or the location.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Extra side note: I just got a notice from KDE's gui installer program that 3.1.1 is available. But It installed and I can't find it.. Everything shows I'm still on 2.19 staging. Did anyone else get this. I can't seem to find it anywhere or how to install it where I want to. NVM, I saw it on their site. I'll assume it's not fully available yet for fedora.

Fun stuff. Something about line 20 in that file...
fixme:kernelbase:QuirkIsEnabled3 (0xe9fe518, 0xffffffff) stub!
fixme:kernelbase:QuirkIsEnabled3 (0xe9fe500, 0xffffffff) stub!
fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {af86e2e0-b12d-4c6a-9c5a-d7aa65101e90}
fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {ecc8691b-c1db-4dc0-855e-65f6c551af49}
fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {94ea2b94-e9cc-49e0-c0ff-ee64ca8f5b90}
fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {00000144-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:mshtml:HTMLWindow2_QueryInterface (0x5a6fa18)->(IID_IMarshal 0x33e000)
fixme:ieframe:get_location_url semi-stub
fixme:ieframe:get_location_url semi-stub
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_GetProxyURI (0x625eb80)->(0x33db6c)
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_GetProxyURI (0x625eb80)->(0x33d95c)
55[11680c30]: file resource://gre/modules/Webapps.jsm, line 20
NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unknown dwOption 10
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unknown dwOption 10
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_GetProxyURI (0x6279a60)->(0x33eeac)
fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_GetProxyURI (0x625eb80)->(0x33eeac)

Where is this webapps.jsm and what is it? I'm doing a file search now, but it's taking a while to complete.

Edit: I never found the file. The actual text had a link to it but it didn't actually bring up the file. It had some sort of an error saying it couldn't find it I think.

I need to get the error codes for when it freezes in game during battle. I keep closing the window and it gets flooded by launcher lines...

---------------------------------------

I closed down the launcher and was only getting client info and got this. I think: Edit: I can't remember but I think this happened when the spinny ship froze going into a tutorial. That or during initial client start going to the main menu or when the first sounds were trying to load at the logo screen. I think it was while the logo was loading and the sound initially starts up.

err:eek:le:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
WASAPI: device idx: 00
WASAPI: ---------------
WASAPI:0| name[Pulseaudio]
WASAPI:0| form-factor[4]
WASAPI:0| def.SR[48000] max.CH[2] latency{hi[0.010000] lo[0.003000]}
WASAPI: device idx: 01
WASAPI:1| name[Monitor of HDA NVidia Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)]
WASAPI:1| form-factor[2]
WASAPI:1| def.SR[48000] max.CH[2] latency{hi[0.010000] lo[0.003000]}
WASAPI: device idx: 02
WASAPI:2| name[HDA NVidia Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)]
WASAPI:2| form-factor[1]
WASAPI:2| def.SR[48000] max.CH[2] latency{hi[0.010000] lo[0.003000]}
WASAPI: device idx: 03
WASAPI:3| name[Pulseaudio]
WASAPI:3| form-factor[1]
WASAPI:3| def.SR[48000] max.CH[2] latency{hi[0.010000] lo[0.003000]}
WASAPI: initialized ok
after paHostApiInitializers[1].
fixme:d3d11:d3d11_immediate_context_Flush iface 0x1d5e44 stub!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Just ran into something odd making a full black screen in the tutorial mode in the actual scenario. The only thing I have done is change the setting from high to low. This did not effect anything while I was playing originally on high setting. But has changed something since I restarted on low setting. It may be a setting causing this. The game did not freeze in this setting. I could literally hit Esc and go to the menu to change the settings. And you could hear all the sounds of me and the enemy ship flying around live, even as I pressed buttons. BTW, this may have been on the incursion scenario. It may be specific to it.

Changed it to medium and restarted and it's back to normal. One of the default settings on low may cause a black screen in scenarios. It took a restart for this too take effect and correct. So, it may be one of the settings that requires a restart. It also seems to be one of the settings under Qaulity in the graphics settings.

I'm testing which settings it is now. I know medium and high presests don't cause this so I will assume they are not the culprit:

Presests:
(BTW, Mid presets seem to be the most stable for me.)
None
High
Mid
low

Colors represent either the preset(s) the settings is a part of or if it causes a problem in that preset.

Conclusion: (Testing in, "Incursion," scenario)
You must change these settings and restart the client to get theses effects. It will not change from applying settings.

Texture Quality High:No
Texture Quality Med:No
Shadow Qaulity High:No
Shadow Qaulity Med:No
Shadow Qaulity Low: YES
Shadow Qaulity Off: YES
Bloom High: NO
Bloom Low: NO
Bloom Off: NO

Blur On:NOO
Blur Off: YES
Anti-Aliasing SMAA: NO
Anti-Aliasing MLAAX4: NO
Anti-Aliasing MLAAX2: NO
Anti-Aliasing FXAA: NO
Anti-Aliasing Off: NO
Ambient Olcusion High: NO
Ambient Olcusion Off: NO
Environment Qaulity High: NO
Environment Qaulity Med: NO
Environment Qaulity Low: NO**may cause quicker freezing?!(A few setting seem like they may do this.) I may be imagining this though.
FX Qaulity High: NO
FX Qaulity Med:
NO
FX Qaulity Low: YES
FX Qaulity Off: NO
Reflections Quality High: NO
Reflections Quality Low:NO
Material Quality Ultra: NO
Material Quality High: NO
Material Quality Med: NO
Material Quality Low: NO
Galaxy Map Qaulity High: NO
Galaxy Map Qaulity Med: NO
Galaxy Map Qaulity Low: NO

...Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

For Once shadow quality may be the solution and not the problem.. I wonder if all of the texture we are seeing are just shadows. So, what is it about the medium and high shadow setting that could be making a difference? Or what about the Low and off setting could be doing the same?

And now I found Blur Off also does this... And FX Qaulity Low.

You'll also notice all but one of those problematic settings are orange and not part of any presets. I wonder if that is a coincidence...

****These create a different smokey effect where you can see things but everything is very greyed over:
Pic:
w1NTFNS.png

I just noticed something else. The game my not close from the X button in the corner because it tried to carry out a fade away while closing. This may not be working correctly all of the time and causing it not to respond and close correctly. I just closed it and it did this successfully. I know other times it does not.

Winehq-devel: wine 3.2.1: (is any of this useful? I'm seeing new errors I think in general. More than just the ones below.)
012c:fixme:d3d11:wined3d_access_from_d3d11 Ignoring CPU access flags 0x10000.
0138:err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x58b20cd0: "GL_INVALID_VALUE error generated. The y-dimension of the subregion fails to meet the alignment constraints of the compressed format.".
0138:err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x58b20cd0: "GL_INVALID_VALUE error generated. The y-dimension of the subregion fails to meet the alignment constraints of the compressed format.".
0038:fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetResponseTimeoutEnabled (0x6e24a90)->(0)
0038:fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetBlockAuthPrompt (0x6e24a90)->(0)
0038:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_AsyncOpen2 (0x6e24a90)->(0x1a47d858)
0038:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
0117:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
0117:fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
0157:fixme:eek:le:CoGetApartmentType (0x112ff6c8, 0x112ff6c4): semi-stub
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({319dc449-ada5-50f7-428e-957db6791668}, 0x10021925, 0x1006dbd0, 0x1006dbe8) stub.
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x10002f3d, 28) stub
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({319dc449-ada5-50f7-428e-957db6791668}, 0x8375a8, 0xcb6470, 0xcb6488) stub.
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x7a8861, 28) stub
0155:fixme:kernelbase:QuirkIsEnabled3 (0x33f4a0, 0xffffffff) stub!
0155:fixme:process:GetNumaHighestNodeNumber (0x33fbd8): semi-stub
0155:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x33fbbc): stub
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({e13c0d23-ccbc-4e12-931b-d9cc2eee27e4}, 0x936b5a, 0xcb5370, 0xcbee60) stub.
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({763fd754-7086-4dfe-95eb-c01a46faf4ca}, 0x936b5a, 0xcb57b8, 0xcb6278) stub.
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({a669021c-c450-4609-a035-5af59af4df18}, 0x936b5a, 0xcbdb88, 0xcbee70) stub.
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({cc2bcbba-16b6-4cf3-8990-d74c2e8af500}, 0x936b5a, 0xcb5458, 0xcb54c8) stub.
0155:fixme:wer:WerRegisterRuntimeExceptionModule (L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscordacwks.dll", 0x670000) stub!
0159:err:eek:le:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 4 0x166c4c 0x33d06c 0x33d6d8 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x166f10 0x33d25c 0x33d8c8 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x166f10 0x33d25c 0x33d8c8 (nil)
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"ClientSupport"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"LocalResources"
0155:fixme:nls:LocaleNameToLCID unsupported flags 8000000
0155:fixme:nls:LCIDToLocaleName unsupported flags 8000000
0155:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x8 0x33e868 (nil) 0x33e864) returning a dummy value (current locale)
0155:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x8 0x33e868 0x16fb20 0x33e864) returning a dummy value (current locale)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x16e43c 0x33caec 0x33d158 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x16e43c 0x33ccdc 0x33d348 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x16e43c 0x33ccdc 0x33d348 (nil)
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Accessibility"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x179aa8 0x33c8ec 0x33cf58 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x179aa8 0x33cadc 0x33d148 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x179aa8 0x33cadc 0x33d148 (nil)
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 0x42e034e, (nil), 0x1159dc0) stub.
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"CrashReporter.resources"
0155:fixme:nls:LCIDToLocaleName unsupported flags 8000000
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"CrashReporter.resources"
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1773c0 0x33c8fc 0x33cf68 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1773c0 0x33caec 0x33d158 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1773c0 0x33caec 0x33d158 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 4 0x17563c 0x33ce7c 0x33d4e8 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x179228 0x33d06c 0x33d6d8 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x175660 0x33d06c 0x33d6d8 (nil)
0155:fixme:gdiplus:GdipGetFamilyName No support for handling of multiple languages!
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x184ef4 0x33cd5c 0x33d3c8 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x184ef4 0x33cf4c 0x33d5b8 (nil)
0155:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x184ef4 0x33cf4c 0x33d5b8 (nil)
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"LocalResources.resources"
0155:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"LocalResources.resources"
0155:fixme:gdiplus:GdipCreateHalftonePalette stub
0038:fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {af86e2e0-b12d-4c6a-9c5a-d7aa65101e90}
0038:fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {ecc8691b-c1db-4dc0-855e-65f6c551af49}
0038:fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {94ea2b94-e9cc-49e0-c0ff-ee64ca8f5b90}
0038:fixme:mshtml:HTMLDocumentObj_QueryInterface Unimplemented interface {00000144-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
0038:fixme:mshtml:HTMLWindow2_QueryInterface (0x68823d0)->(IID_IMarshal 0x33e0a0)
0038:fixme:ieframe:get_location_url semi-stub
0038:fixme:ieframe:get_location_url semi-stub
0155:fixme:eek:le:CoGetApartmentType (0x33fcb8, 0x33fcb4): semi-stub
0159:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
015b:fixme:process:FlushProcessWriteBuffers : stub
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
0155:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
0157:fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet
015a:fixme:eek:le:CoGetApartmentType (0xf9ef628, 0xf9ef624): semi-stub
0038:fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetResponseTimeoutEnabled (0x6e48870)->(0)
0038:fixme:mshtml:nsHttpChannelInternal_SetBlockAuthPrompt (0x6e48870)->(0)
0038:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_AsyncOpen2 (0x6e48870)->(0x1d8b05b8)
0038:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
Wine 3.2.1 is still giving me crc failures. I also haven't managed to get into a tutorial mission succesfully in the demo yet. it seems to be struggling more at the tutorial loading screen.

Wine 3.2.2 official release pic (non wineHQ version.): (Still getting CRC Failure)
cwKXDDR.png

The visuals are improving slightly. Still have to test the new winehq releases. Once in the demo it is overall more stable now. The interface and menues no longer seem to make you crash. Or I haven't experience one yet. In combat you are more likely to have a crash from enemy ships blowing up. So, basically, I can enter and switch between scenarios easily, but have a tendency to crash when killing enemies in actual combat. This already was a bit of a problem before and some scenarios crashed more or less and others basically didn't. It would require more testing to find out how constant this is.

And all scenarios look like the above pic as far as I can tell. No more white and red or pur white. This means much more visible interface in cockpit!! Overall an improvement. The stability with the menus is a very pleasent surprise. This may make changing settings a much easier task. Although I haven't played in them enough to see it's limits. I did go between secenarios rather quickly and it was very stable feeling. This was basically not possible before. Off to test the new WineHQ stuff.

NVM, The official release is wine 3.2.2 and the winhq devel is only 3.2.1... It must not be being used atm.

I also haven't tested the above graphics settings for 3.2.2. So, they may or may not be an issue now. Either way, it will be a lot easier to test them 8)

Wine 3.4

Following the normal install instruction from the OP.

I'm getting this. The launcher isn't starting up, but I think I'm missing something stupid. Is anyone else getting this or know what is needed to get it to launch the launcher again?

Code:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe"
wine: cannot find 'c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe'
[arugela@localhost ~]$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe"
0012:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
0012:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
0014:err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
0014:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
0014:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
000f:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_64" failed to start: 1053
0009:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe" failed, status c0000017

Also I get this from opening the wine settings:

Code:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 winecfg
0012:err:module:import_dll  Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by  L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not  found
0012:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for  L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe"  failed, status c0000135
0014:err:module:import_dll  Library MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll (which is needed by  L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe")  not found
0014:err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is  needed by  L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe")  not found
0014:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for  L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe"  failed, status c0000135

I can add the msvcr120 and it reduced it down to a single line of warning and still doesn't open.

Code:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe"
0032:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe" failed, status c0000017

But not for winecfg.

Code:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 winecfg

Winecfg starts up in these cases, but the game launcher won't.

Wine 3.5

Same thing as 3.4. Does anyone know a way past this?! Edit: Dum De Dum dum dum! I'm updating via steam in playonlinux... It might not be working because the game it out of date and needs an update in the other way to get caught up to something. Crosses fingers.

The 4.5.2 isntaller says it may not work because windows service updater is not available. I wonder if that is part of the issue.

There was also something where you could mess with the registry and add a line to make it use a different version of something. I can't find it now.

And a 32bit version of the launcher just worked for me in my old installs in POL... So it may be temporarily testable from there. I have no idea what modification are in it though. Nope, it keeps crashing on me. I have the wrong cridentials because it's old and typing in the password causes and error. But I did just get a 64bit client without the launcher to start in POL. But it's not doing much so far. It's using wine 3.5 also.

Using direct command it geting clients to start, but they are crashing. I'm going to test more versions and see if any will work.
Examples: (I have a link to a base folder in both program files and program files x86)
WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files/Elite Dangerous/Products/COMBAT_TUTORIAL_DEMO/EliteDangerous32.exe"
WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/Products/COMBAT_TUTORIAL_DEMO/EliteDangerous32.exe"

WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/EliteDangerous64.exe" <- This one seems to be trying. It is at least not crashing immediately. Seems to stay as a black screen though. I'll let it sit for a while to see if it does anything. Then I'll try with dotnet45 or 46. Edit: I left it on for a while and it didn't do anything.

code with default installation from OP:
Code:
WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/EliteDangerous64.exe"
0009:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0x180001124, 0x1800894d0, 0x1800894f0) stub.
0009:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x18007fa70, 43) stub
0009:fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
0009:fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7f3abf0a40d0, 0x659a0, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
0009:fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7f3abf0a40d0
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x23f110,0x00000000), stub!
0032:fixme:nls:GetUserGeoID GEOCLASS_REGION not handled yet
0032:fixme:winsock:convert_aiflag_w2u Unhandled windows AI_xxx flags 0x100
0032:fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
0032:fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
0046:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x5630f500,0x00000000), stub!
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDisplayModeList iface 0x74b10, format DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM, flags 0x1, mode_count 0x5630f9e0, desc (nil) partial stub!
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDisplayModeList iface 0x74b10, format DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM, flags 0x1, mode_count 0x5630f9e0, desc 0x1f5bcb0 partial stub!
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_check_feature_level_support Ignoring adapter type.
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_device_init Ignoring adapter type.
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFeatureSupport Unhandled feature 0x5.
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 0, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 2, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 3, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 4, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 0, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 6, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 7, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 8, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 16, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 17, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 18, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 41, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 42, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 43, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 26, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 24, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 28, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 31, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 29, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 10, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 12, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 14, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 11, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 13, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 34, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 36, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 38, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 35, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 37, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 54, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 57, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 59, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 56, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 58, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 50, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 52, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 49, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 51, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 30, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 32, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 28, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 31, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 29, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 50, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 52, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 49, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 51, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 62, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 64, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 61, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 63, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 87, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 91, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 88, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 87, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 91, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 88, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 85, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 86, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 86, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 40, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 45, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 45, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 55, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 56, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 61, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 65, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 71, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 72, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 74, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 75, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 77, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 78, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 69, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 80, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 81, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 83, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 84, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 95, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 96, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 98, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 99, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d11_device_CheckFormatSupport iface 0x11c670, format 20, format_support 0x5630fa8c partial-stub!
0046:fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_factory_MakeWindowAssociation iface 0x58b24a10, window 0x20056, flags 0x3 stub!
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_device_SetMaximumFrameLatency iface 0x58b2ba00, max_latency 1 stub!
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d_blend_state_create Per-rendertarget blend not implemented.
0046:fixme:d3d11:shdr_handler Unhandled chunk "RDEF".
0046:fixme:d3d11:shdr_handler Unhandled chunk "STAT".
0046:fixme:dxgi:dxgi_swapchain_ResizeBuffers Ignoring flags 0x2.
0046:fixme:wbemprox:client_security_SetBlanket 0x7f3abf0a40d0, 0x58ba7db0, 10, 0, (null), 3, 3, (nil), 0x00000000
0046:fixme:wbemprox:client_security_Release 0x7f3abf0a40d0
0046:fixme:wbemprox:wbem_services_CreateInstanceEnum unsupported flags 0x00000020
0046:fixme:wbemprox:enum_class_object_Next timeout not supported
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d_blend_state_create Color mask 0 not supported for render target 4.
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d_blend_state_create Color mask 0 not supported for render target 5.
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d_blend_state_create Color mask 0 not supported for render target 6.
0046:fixme:d3d11:d3d_blend_state_create Color mask 0 not supported for render target 7.
0051:fixme:kernelbase:AppPolicyGetThreadInitializationType 0xfffffffffffffffa, 0x67a2fdc0
0046:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
0046:fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
0046:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
0046:fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
0046:fixme:file:ReplaceFileW Ignoring flags 2

Is it possible they changed/upgraded any of the programs that need to be used like vcrun2012 to different versions or similar?

Installing with 2.19 staging to get things working again then installing the new wine version for testing. Maybe it will help.
I'm testing with 2.19(Just dotnet452 and vcrun2012 atm) and the full screen is acting better and allowing me to alt tab out. But it's still producing a black screen in the window. Maybe I need to bypass the initial movies or something odd. But it does allow the launcher to start.

Got in the tutorial again. WineHQ-Staging-2.19 with dotnet452,vcrun2012,quartz. I haven't tested adding mscorefonts yet. Messing around for a bit to see the difference. Then I'll change to 3.5 to see if it still works.

TQWXata.png

whatever made this change passed it backwards to 2.19staging. Could it be the game or video drivers changing?! Or did they update the staging version?

Installed 3.5 after 2.19staging and it acts the same as it did previously. Won't even start the launcher. Hopefully it comes back in a future version.

Wine 3.6

Acting like 3.5 and previous still.

I did change mscoree to builtin from native and it got rid of the error mesgs for winecfg and:

Code:
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]$ WINEPREFIX=~/ed-wine wine64 "c:/Program Files (x86)/Elite Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe"
003a:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Elite Dangerous\\EDLaunch.exe" failed, status c0000017[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Only has the one error now. In fact changing it back to native after this also gets rid of the errors along with any other option you change it too after... I'm not sure what is going on there.

And there is the post in the other linux thread where someone showed wine with DXVK and it has perfect graphics now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom