How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

Try deleting the .wine prefix in your home folder and starting with a fresh prefix with WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg

I assume your using latest versions of wine/winetricks? If not older versions can cause issues when installing .Net.

I'd noticed that one of your posts mentioned that the game works in proton so I'm going to try that.

elite is already installed in steam in linux - ( updating atm ) how do I use winetricks to install dotnet and vcrun2015

That is..w hat is the prefix I should feed to winetricks to make it play ball?

And how do I then run the game?

I'd noticed that one of your posts mentioned that the game works in proton so I'm going to try that.

elite is already installed in steam in linux - ( updating atm ) how do I use winetricks to install dotnet and vcrun2015

STEAMAPPS=~/.steam/steam/steamapps # see comment below about this value
export WINEPREFIX=$STEAMAPPS/compatdata/359320/pfx
rm -rf $WINEPREFIX
winetricks -q dotnet40 vcrun2015 win7

Tutorial: https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki

As above the instructions on the wiki are correct, with regards to choosing the right Proton make sure you select Proton 4.2-3 in the game properties.

Internal error creating window

Add value to collection of type
"System.Windows.Cotnrols.UIElemenCollection" threw an exception

This is closer than I've ever got in steam play before.

I have installed proton tricks and installed dotnet40 and vcrun2015

** Edit the vcrun2015 install failed as it said there was another version installed.

Last edited:
Grrr.. I deleted ~/.wine and rebuilt it

vcrun2015 will install but dotnet40 won't

go figure - proton installed dotnet40 but refused vcrun2015

Still failed with the --force just says another version is installed but I'm feeling hopeful

--force should work but if not you might need to uninstall current versions via wine uninstaller.

WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx wine uninstaller

In the box that pops up uninstall all previous Microsoft Visual C++ stuff (both x86 & x64). (Leave.Net stuff though).

Then run again.

You can also try running vcrun2017 instead of vcrun2015, shouldn't really be needed however if for some weird reason you got some weird conflict going on it might help.

Top Bottom