How to Solo a Thargoid Interceptor [Video]

I'm not saying in general the Chief worst than the FAS, just for that build I used is not good choice. On the FAS I used 2x Gauss and 2x Shard, but on the Chief 3x Shard, and that's a big difference. After that I put back the 6c Bi-wave and switched to 3 Gauss and I ended with ~80% hull after a fight. It's a good ship but for face-hull tanking a Cyclops the FAS was better, +1 guardian weapon is a big difference. That's all.

I might not consider different weapon choices as i go straightforward for most efficient , grinding othere weapons is too time consuming for my taste .

But on chief i would really love to see 2x meds instead 1 med and 3 small , but i bet someone in Fdev said "omg it will be just copy of FAS"

I was in Irandan soloing a Cyclops on my Corvette and almost got the final heart down to 3 percent. When I was almost in position to fire my gauss cannons again to finish it off, I saw my fighter pilot just swoop in and snipe the heart. [big grin]

I didn't think the fighter pilots would do that but I guess most of the videos I saw of fighters being used against Cyclops were with lower ranking pilots you can buy right then and there and who can't aim worth a damn. Glad I was worked on leveling up my fighter pilot and kept her around. :)

It was just pure luck , fighter pilots don't aim at hearts , he was just shooting in general direction of that cyclops and hit the heart by accident . Fighter is a distraction not main source of firepower

It was just pure luck , fighter pilots don't aim at hearts , he was just shooting in general direction of that cyclops and hit the heart by accident . Fighter is a distraction not main source of firepower

Yeah, I figured that but it's still nice to see that the fighter pilot is capable of hitting the heart occasionally. Though I do notice that my fighter pilot lasts longer than a lower level pilot for sure.

Today I tried to solo a cyclops with my python.

Fast forward in the battle narration: 4th heart destroyed, my python down to 25% hull and shields up again. I received a caustic missile, so forced to use two shield banks to increase temperature and get rid of the corrosion. Hull down to 18%, swarm goes out.

Flak cannon ready: Malfunctioning. "CRAP CRAP CRAP!!". Shot the flak at almost point blank shot and drove the swarm down to 10 thargons. My hull dropped to like 12%, I could still do it!!

Then the Thargoid comboed me.

1) Thargons become living missiles.
2) Thargoid launches yellow ray of death
3) My shield goes "pop"
4) "Well, so that's how I die..."

NEXT TIME, THARGOID! NEXT TIME I´LL GET YOU!!

A guide for anyone trying Basilisk:

[video=youtube;CkmAIuU58cw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkmAIuU58cw[/video]

Info in the description. gl&hf

Medusa tutorial inc as soon I get time to upload. Big video :D

Last edited:
Here is the Medusa Solo guide. Info in the description.

[video=youtube;pboNOlnnzRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pboNOlnnzRk[/video]

Hope it helps!

o7

Thanks for this, I'm still struggling with the Basils. I got one to 17% before I ran out of ammo, which was pretty annoying since I was still at 80% hull...

r,
j,

Thanks for this, I'm still struggling with the Basils. I got one to 17% before I ran out of ammo, which was pretty annoying since I was still at 80% hull...

r,
j,

Heh that was a close one. You will get it next time ;)

Conserve few shots when dealing with the shields for example if ammo is a issue. Let the fighter wear it down. Or add 2 small lasers but be careful so you dont get lightning. Basilisk fast.
No need for synthesis and wasting materials especially since Basic Gauss synth requires Guardian stuff.

Last edited:
Heh that was a close one. You will get it next time ;)

Conserve few shots when dealing with the shields for example if ammo is a issue. Let the fighter wear it down. Or add 2 small lasers but be careful so you dont get lightning. Basilisk fast.
No need for synthesis and wasting materials especially since Basic Gauss synth requires Guardian stuff.

For me, usually when I finished off the thargon swarm after killing a heart, the shield of the interceptor is usually mostly naturally degraded by then. I can usually finish it off in a shot volley or two before resuming my fight against the interceptor in trying to exert a heart.

Last edited:
Gauss vs shields is very very bad , AX fighter that miss half of its shots do more damage to shields than 4x Gauss :p no point wasting precious ammo imo

For me, usually when I finished off the thargon swarm after killing a heart, the shield of the interceptor is usually mostly naturally degraded by then. I can usually finish it off in a shot volley or two before resuming my fight against the interceptor in trying to exert a heart.

That may be the case with Cyclops. But with Basilisk and especially Medusa is not. They have much stronger shields and unless it takes you few mins to kill the swarm you will need to deal with the shields. But generally swarm is dead within 2min and they have quite the Shield value left.

Anyway, in my video I did just few potshots on the shields and just waited for them to drop. SLF helped too.

Here is a recent clip where after several thargoids in a row, went out of ammo on last Basilisk hull :) - https://youtu.be/zlVAiyDmddk

Last edited:
I just noticed that +30% damage bonus synthesis is cheaper and easier to do than even basic synthesis as it don't require any guardian tech only basic raw materials and some grade 2 manufactured . Is it working as intended or it is some bug that will be fixed?

Uh oh. GluttonyFang, Painbeaver is showing you up so you better up your game. :D

Still, excellent kill there Painbeaver. I never expected a Medusa to be killed by a smaller ship like that yet with what anti-thargoid tech we got available right now.

Last edited:
Uh oh. GluttonyFang, Painbeaver is showing you up so you better up your game. :D

Still, excellent kill there Painbeaver. I never expected a Medusa to be killed by a smaller ship like that yet with what anti-thargoid tech we got available right now.

I know, I'm ashamed of myself for slacking off @_@

*Spent way too much time gathering footage for the cinematic video*

I may finally have to cave and buy and engineer a second Anaconda specifically for bug hunting.

My T-10 can kill scouts and Cyclopses, but it’d probably be wiped out by anything tougher. Those shields are just too thin.

By my math (and Coriolis), I need another 200 mil ontop of what I have already to pull it off. Guess it’s back to the bubble for more grinding. Too bad I missed the last three gold-rushes.

Top Bottom