HP Reverb Pro: Ask Me Anything!

No definitely a drop in colour saturation coming from 2x OLEDs HMD's (CV1 & Vive Pro) to an LED. Blacks can be somewhat increased by reducing Gamma, as i had my gamma high when using the CV1 and Pro, but the colours are definitely poorer in this Reverb, but OMG the clarity is to die for. I have just played ED for 3 hours (Took a sicky) and was mining LTD's and Painite, and i must say after the first hour i stopped noticing the the colour loss and was just drooling at the clarity and definition of the droids.

PS. I have a water-cooled 1080Ti overclocked heavily. Temp never goes above 66c
I am using a RTX2070 per chance that could be the difference in colors. I dunno but if you are happy so am I . The clarity is truly amazing I must admit.

Last edited:
OpenVR is the interface that defines the virtual methods that Elite supports to send messages to a WMR HMD.

WMR is effectively the device driver that transfers and renders the rasterized frame buffers presented by the OpenVR implementation (SteamVR) as the final part of the v-sync.

The frame render pipeline schedule is therefore controlled by SteamVR.

It is good at movement latency translation but poor for future frame extrapolation. Motion Smoothing is pretty rubbish - certainly nowhere near as good as Oculus ASW.

Bottom line, you really need a 2080Ti to run the Reverb close to its native resolution for Elite. You can run it at lower resolutions just fine and it still looks good but it largely defeats the purpose of having high res panels. You can run at 60hz to mitigate but im not a big fan.

With a 2080Ti you can hit 4 megapixel per eye buffers @90Hz pre distortion (2k x 2k) and avoid reprojection for the most part.

Heavy supersampling is not fundamentally required because the native physical pixel density of the Reverb is over 2.5x that of the Original Rift.

That said when you hit 3k x 3k eye buffers on the Reverb its like magic fairy dust...

Thanks for the info. So you hit 45 FPS = x2 with ASW with a 2080 TI at native res. Also most of the settings on ULTRA?
Mind you, I run Elite at ULTRA settings HMD 2.0 and hit 45 fps with ASW meaning cheating 90 HZ FPS.
And I have no artifacts what so ever with ASW, so its silky smooth in the rift for me.
Is it silky smooth in the reverb?

So why all the super secrecy around this product? You would think it's a military secret.

Agreed - the issue is the guy I'm working with at HP has told me a lot of stuff "off the record", even from his private email account as he just can't help himself. I'

https://www.reddit.com/user/Voodooimaxx/ Head of QC for the Verb. Ask nicely :]

Yep, that's "my guy at HP" BTW. Really great guy.

I'm the crazy person with a 2080ti.

You and me both - it was crazy expensive but crazy fast too.

The graphical fidelity is insane. It really does feel like the same level of detail as on a 1080p monitor.

This really can't be understated can it? Simply put it's incredible.

The downside to all of that beauty is that it takes a toll on your PC. I have an i7-8700k cpu, 32 gb of ram, and an 2080ti.

Very similar setup, I have everything OC'ed and delid'ed my 8086k, running at 5.3G locked all cores (delid for the win!) - have you tried running the headset at 60Hz? I know that sounds crazy to some but for me I can't "feel" the difference here (where I can on my 144Hz monitor). Running at 60 means on my (and likely your) setup I never drop below 60 even at ultra with HMD at 1.5 - the difference is awesome and the reprojection tech in WinMR sucks, so you never want it to drop below that 60 (or 90). Personally I'll pick slower prettier pixels over less-pretty faster. Going from my

Exigeous told us from the git go this was a sim head set.

Yep, IMHO it 100% is

Is it really Worth the jerkyness that you get when frames get lower. If my Rift goes below 90 Everything stutters, dont know if it is Worth it? Did you try with space warp on. I have it Always on in the rift and its butter smooth with hmd at 2.0 and ultra settings.

No, IMHO you CAN NOT let it drop below either 90 or 60, whatever it's set to. I thought that on my CV1 that when it dropped to 45 I could barely tell - but on this holy crap is it awful.

...The clarity is streets ahead of the Vive pro even with Lens Mod, and a whole generation above the CV1.

This is great to hear, have a friend with the Vive Pro and lens mod who keeps saying "but I already don't have screen door effect" - I keep telling him "I don't mean to be a but you don't know what you're talking about" as he hasn't used the Reverb yet.

The only downside is the colour saturation is poor and seemed washed out a bit. The blacks don’t bother me but the depth of colour is something I am going to have to get used to. Is there any setting I can tweak to make it better?

Interesting, I haven't noticed any color issues at all, at least to my eyes. I know this is highly subjective so could easily just be that.

To be honest Kiario, i am not an 'FPS' watcher. Never have in any of my HMD's. If it stutters i reduce, if it don't stutter i increase until i reach a happy medium. I will say the Vive Pro seems to take more to run it, as i have generally increased my settings to get to the point of stutter/no stutter.

While I agree for the most part getting a tool like fpsVR so you can just make sure you're not dropping below either 60 or 90 to work out your settings is pretty key to WinMR since the reprojection - to my eyes - is so bad.

So you hit 45 FPS = x2 with ASW with a 2080 TI at native res. Also most of the settings on ULTRA?
Mind you, I run Elite at ULTRA settings HMD 2.0 and hit 45 fps with ASW meaning cheating 90 HZ FPS.

To me the only way I can get it "silky smooth" is to make sure I never reproject. For me that means either running at Ultra with HMD at 1.5 (and Steam at 100%) at 60Hz/fps or High'ish settings, HMD 1.0 (steam at 125%) to get 90Hz/fps. As I'm lucky and can't "feel" the difference in 60/90 I run at 60 so I get silky smooth AND beautiful eye candy.

Personally I'd suggest everyone try 60Hz for at least a full day to see if you can feel the difference - as cutting the load by 30% is huge and gives you either a smoother or much prettier experience.

Agreed - the issue is the guy I'm working with at HP has told me a lot of stuff "off the record", even from his private email account as he just can't help himself. I'

Yep, that's "my guy at HP" BTW. Really great guy.

You and me both - it was crazy expensive but crazy fast too.

This really can't be understated can it? Simply put it's incredible.

Very similar setup, I have everything OC'ed and delid'ed my 8086k, running at 5.3G locked all cores (delid for the win!) - have you tried running the headset at 60Hz? I know that sounds crazy to some but for me I can't "feel" the difference here (where I can on my 144Hz monitor). Running at 60 means on my (and likely your) setup I never drop below 60 even at ultra with HMD at 1.5 - the difference is awesome and the reprojection tech in WinMR sucks, so you never want it to drop below that 60 (or 90). Personally I'll pick slower prettier pixels over less-pretty faster. Going from my

Yep, IMHO it 100% is

No, IMHO you CAN NOT let it drop below either 90 or 60, whatever it's set to. I thought that on my CV1 that when it dropped to 45 I could barely tell - but on this holy crap is it awful.

This is great to hear, have a friend with the Vive Pro and lens mod who keeps saying "but I already don't have screen door effect" - I keep telling him "I don't mean to be a but you don't know what you're talking about" as he hasn't used the Reverb yet.

Interesting, I haven't noticed any color issues at all, at least to my eyes. I know this is highly subjective so could easily just be that.

While I agree for the most part getting a tool like fpsVR so you can just make sure you're not dropping below either 60 or 90 to work out your settings is pretty key to WinMR since the reprojection - to my eyes - is so bad.

To me the only way I can get it "silky smooth" is to make sure I never reproject. For me that means either running at Ultra with HMD at 1.5 (and Steam at 100%) at 60Hz/fps or High'ish settings, HMD 1.0 (steam at 125%) to get 90Hz/fps. As I'm lucky and can't "feel" the difference in 60/90 I run at 60 so I get silky smooth AND beautiful eye candy.

Personally I'd suggest everyone try 60Hz for at least a full day to see if you can feel the difference - as cutting the load by 30% is huge and gives you either a smoother or much prettier experience.

Doesn't 60 give a lot of smear in the moving graphics?

Is anyone having issues with the IPD? I just got my Reverb yesterday (have been using Samsung Odyssey+ and CV1 before that) and I'm experiencing a lot of eye strain. My IPD is a very average 64 and have never had any issues with other headsets - so there's no reason I should be an outlier. Also, from what I can tell the IPD adjustment tool in WMR doesn't do much, if anything.

I've also noticed a fair amount of blur when looking toward the outer edges of the screens/lenses which can be indicative of not being in the sweet spot; however, there doesn't seem to be a physical way to change that with this headset. I'm almost thinking the lenses in this unit are actually angled more inward than they should, but I have no way to validate that.

Just figured I'd float this out there since after a quick google I appear to be the only person in the world having this issue, or at least the only one complaining about it.

The adjustment for this is in the Windows settings on the Virtual page. It's towards the bottom of the page from memory. This is obviously a software adjust ment and not physical switch on other HMD's.

If purdy is you gig by all means try the Exigeous graphics formula. 60 FPS limit, very high instead of ultra and 1.5 super sampling . OMG it's beautiful.

I'm hovering over the buy now button... just how much better than an Odyssey+ is it?

how black is space in Elite? is it black or is it grey?

Subjectively - In terms of resolution/clarity/sharpness it destroys everything in my experience (owned a modded Vive Pro in the past and have a Reverb, 5k+, Index and Rift S
on the bench currently)

Objectively - some numbers.

The Odyssey+ uses the same Samsung Pentile OLEDS as the Vive Pro.

They have a pixel density of 404 PPI.

The Reverb has a Pixel density of 1057 PPI.

So the Reverb has nearly 3x the pixel density of the O+/Vive Pro legacy HMDs....

It has its drawbacks, the colours arent great, the mura is visible in scenes that have dynamics up near the white point but overall it simply wrecks everything else when it comes to straight up fidelity of the game world.

Space is black, of all my RGB stripe HMDs its got the best blacks.

Space is black,
It be very black

It arrived. You lied.

Quick comparison to the Odyssey+ with a 2080ti.

Resolution: Blows the Odyssey+ out of the water. Feels like moving from a 480p screen to a 1080p screen. Space stations which looked like a mishmash of pixels are now crisp as hell.

Colours: Washed out god awful. Gone are the beautiful glows of your cockpit, Stars and lights with the Odyssey+. Hello to drab washed out and flat experience.

Black levels: Murky dark grey at best. Reminds me of my Lenovo Explorer. The darker the overall image is the greyer the perceived black levels becomes. Immersion killer. absolute e.

3D effect: Feels like I'm playing on my old 3D projector with brightness levels too high and contrast too low rather than in a VR headset. Sense of immersion, scale and 3D effect greatly reduced due to the lack of infinite depth with the blacks and diminished pop of colours.

Screen door. Very very small. Not an issue.

FOV: Didn't notice much difference over the Odyssey+

Sound quality. Muffled poor quality headphones. Think those £5 ebay over ear headsets and you're on the same track. No sparkle, no bass.

Comfort: No issues in my 30mins play so far. Cable too heavy and pulls the headset from the sweet spot all the time.

Overall: A higher resolution Lenovo Explorer. Should be sold at about £300 rather than £600. I really don't know if I can enjoy using this headset and so I'm debating if I should run it to the post office and return it today or not. So close and yet so far.

For those on the fence, here's what the blacks are like my Reverb vs Odyssey+

XCj0FTD

Attachments

• black levels comparison.jpg
    black levels comparison.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
It arrived. You lied.

Quick comparison to the Odyssey+ with a 2080ti.

Resolution: Blows the Odyssey+ out of the water. Feels like moving from a 480p screen to a 1080p screen. Space stations which looked like a mishmash of pixels are now crisp as hell.

Colours: Washed out god awful. Gone are the beautiful glows of your cockpit, Stars and lights with the Odyssey+. Hello to drab washed out and flat experience.

Black levels: Murky dark grey at best. Reminds me of my Lenovo Explorer. The darker the overall image is the greyer the perceived black levels becomes. Immersion killer. absolute poopooe.

3D effect: Feels like I'm playing on my old 3D projector with brightness levels too high and contrast too low rather than in a VR headset. Sense of immersion, scale and 3D effect greatly reduced due to the lack of infinite depth with the blacks and diminished pop of colours.

Screen door. Very very small. Not an issue.

FOV: Didn't notice much difference over the Odyssey+

Sound quality. Muffled poor quality headphones. Think those £5 ebay over ear headsets and you're on the same track. No sparkle, no bass.

Comfort: No issues in my 30mins play so far. Cable too heavy and pulls the headset from the sweet spot all the time.

Overall: A higher resolution Lenovo Explorer. Should be sold at about £300 rather than £600. I really don't know if I can enjoy using this headset and so I'm debating if I should run it to the post office and return it today or not. So close and yet so far.

For those on the fence, here's what the blacks are like my Reverb vs Odyssey+

XCj0FTD
Either the head set or your computer has problems. If you don't have very black blacks something is very wrong somewhere. I did not lie.

Either the head set or your computer has problems. If you don't have very black blacks something is very wrong somewhere. I did not lie.
OK. I doubt it's my PC with issues and I've briefly owned an Explorer LCD headset before and know that was the same with black levels, that was on an entirely different PC so it's not the PC at fault. I'll do a full reset of all WMR drivers/steamvr etc to see if that solves it. I really doubt it though.

Top Bottom