HP Reverb Pro: Ask Me Anything!

I am curious about the length of the cable. Could you post the exact length please?
I have never tried to extend a display port cable, but there are extension cables out there so hopefully these will work with the Reverb.

Is the video review out yet? If so have a link as cant find it.
Cheers

EDIT: Just saw your previous post about cant post for a bit.

Last edited:
Appreciate taking the time to post this thread.

What's the FOV like compared to the CV1? Looking at the device I assume not much difference? And would you say the tracking is more likely a software issue rather than hardware limitations?

Thanks for the answers Exigeous. Look forward to the full review.
(and thanks Heavygrooves too for asking the technical questions I don't know enough to ask o7)

Re: the the halo vs ski mask, imo it's a bit of design and a bit of preference there. If the headset is light and well balanced weight wise front to back a halo design works really well. The Lenovo Explorer feels so comfortable to me I barely notice I have it on, and it's a lot cooler than a face mask design.

I am curious about the length of the cable. Could you post the exact length please?
I have never tried to extend a display port cable, but there are extension cables out there so hopefully these will work with the Reverb.

4 meters - they apparently did a lot of testing and anything longer than that hurt the signal so badly it wouldn't work. I asked about powered extenders and my contact didn't know but said they were looking into them. You would certainly need an active one as remember you're pushing a higher than 4k amount of pixels over that connection.

....the the halo vs ski mask, imo it's a bit of design and a bit of preference there. If the headset is light and well balanced weight wise front to back a halo design works really well. The Lenovo Explorer feels so comfortable to me I barely notice I have it on, and it's a lot cooler than a face mask design.

Absolutely it's a subjective personal opinion - that said if you haven't used a Rift long term, and you can, I'd give it a try as I really do think somewhat objectively the ski-mask style is far more comfortable, it's certainly far less bulky and much easier to deal with as it's just so much smaller in general. But hey, if a headset is comfortable for you then you win, right?

Thanks to Exigious and others here for the input, great reading.

A question (not specifically to the Reverb, but ya know..) - I own a tired CV1 and am certainly in the market for a new HMD, my ageing PC (i5 3570k and 1080) have stood me well enough with my CV1 and ED, but budget being limited, i may struggle to be able to upgrade my PC and get a new HMD - what would this newer generation, and I refer to the Reverb and Index here really, demand on my current rig? Is it worth sticking with the CV1 and upgrading the PC in the short/medium term or going for it with a new headset?

I'm not thrilled with the Rift S halo design or the speaker option they offer, although I've not tried it, it just looks bulky. I play seated VR predominantly and the CV1 'baseball' cap design just seems so elegant in comparison.

Cheers :)

Are the points of contact for the headset covered by fabric with infill padding, or plastic/foam/vinyl in direct contact with the skin?

Do you find with extended use you end up with a sweaty contact between your face and the rig?

For the top head contact points, the same questions. Many of us shave our heads and having direct skin contact with plastic/vinyl/foam becomes problematic.

You disconnected the sound system. Are you wearing headphones, earbuds or using external speakers while wearing the headset?

4 meters - they apparently did a lot of testing and anything longer than that hurt the signal so badly it wouldn't work. I asked about powered extenders and my contact didn't know but said they were looking into them. You would certainly need an active one as remember you're pushing a higher than 4k amount of pixels over that connection.
...snip...

Definitely interested in the answer to this. I am very interested in the Reverb (in the Index too) But I want to be able to do both roomscale moving around gaming as well as seated gaming. If powered extenders/booster don't work well with it that would be kind of a deal breaker for me.

ugh the tracking sounds like a dealbreaker, like you said, microstutters when moving head rapidly e.g. when in combat, that just ruins it for me.
From your comment it sounded like maybe tracking could be improved down the line, is that true or am I just hearing (reading) what I want to?

I have zero experience with VR. Are you required to use the controllers, or can you still use your HOTAS and keyboard? I use voice attack and am a decent touch typist.

Are the points of contact for the headset covered by fabric with infill padding, or plastic/foam/vinyl in direct contact with the skin?

Do you find with extended use you end up with a sweaty contact between your face and the rig?

For the top head contact points, the same questions. Many of us shave our heads and having direct skin contact with plastic/vinyl/foam becomes problematic.

You disconnected the sound system. Are you wearing headphones, earbuds or using external speakers while wearing the headset?
If you are new to VR I would recommend getting the Oculus Rift S to start with. It is much cheaper and pretty much guaranteed to work very well with ED straight out of the box. The HP Reverb is probably not for beginners.

Use your usual controls eg HOTAS. Keyboard is a problem because you cannot see it without removing the VR facemask. Oculus software provides a VR keyboard. Needs Windows 10 and is a bit fiddly to set up in-game but good otherwise. Accessed and operated using the right hand Oculus hand controller (which are far better than those provided with the HP Reverb).

You can buy washable cloth covers for the face mask. The head contact points get a bit greasy after a while. Be prepared to wipe down regularly. I use tissue and isopropyl alcohol.

You need headphones or earbuds. External speakers = useless as you won't get the 3D soundscape.

....s it worth sticking with the CV1 and upgrading the PC in the short/medium term or going for it with a new headset?

As I've owned many of the headset available right now I very strongly feel the CV1 is by far the best all around choice, that was until I put my head in the Reverb. A VR headset is so much more than it's screens and really is a sum of it's parts - and when everything is factored in from comfort, usability, software, performance, quality, etc. the CV1 is by far the clear leader IMHO. By so wide a margin I've gone back to it after time in every headset and even in the case of the Vive Pro and Odyssey+ immediately I was happy to be back - even though I missed the image clarity. That's because the clarity bump between those on the CV1 just isn't worth the compromises in comfort, bulkiness, etc. Again until the Reverb as it's 90% of that comfort and is an aftermarket faceplate away from matching it.

So I'd say stick with the CV1 until you can afford the upgrade for the Reverb, or possibly Index as it looks second most interesting to me. Your 1080 is technically supported but even with my 2080Ti I'm still dropping to a consistent 45fps when I run with high quality settings and am in a RES, etc. That lower rate has never bothered me but it will some.

The pro version I have is leather with a foam infill. Leather is my personal favorite as it doesn't get as hot as foam/cloth.

For me yes, but I sweat if I think about getting hot :D - for most I think comfort due to temperature isn't going to be an issue until you've been in it for hours

Hmm, for a bald head I'm not sure it would be that comfortable as it's a rough'ish fabric. It doesn't move around or put much pressure so I don't think it would be terrible, I imagine it would depend largely on the sensitivity of your scalp. I have a pretty good thinning patch on the crown of my head but don't notice a thing (but not fully bald)

Yes, both earbuds (most of the time) and a 5.1 speaker system (if I'm not in Discord). And to be clear the speaker included with the Reverb sound really good, especially bass considering they are on-ear. They would actually be better if they offered a little more pressure holding them tighter to your head, but they are surprisingly very good.

If powered extenders/booster don't work well with it that would be kind of a deal breaker for me.
Being blunt this isn't the headset for you then - as even with extenders the cable is big and bulky and uncomfortable to move around with. They are designing around their backpack PCs for full roomscale - and yes, I think that's a mistake. It's not really their fault - it's just where the technology is right now, they had to go with such a thick cable to even get 4 meters out of it - we'll just have to wait and see how extenders work.

ugh the tracking sounds like a dealbreaker, like you said, microstutters when moving head rapidly e.g. when in combat, that just ruins it for me.
From your comment it sounded like maybe tracking could be improved down the line, is that true or am I just hearing (reading) what I want to?
Let me be a bit clearer - it's not deal breaker territory for me, but it isn't as good as the Rift that's for sure. I did turn on all the lights in my room, as that does help (usually just play in the dark). And no, I see no way it could be improved in the future but wish there was an option to add external tracking cameras ala Rift. While it's not as smooth as the Rift it's playable for sure - just one of the drawbacks. Sorta like a 60hz vs. 144hz monitor - would you take a 55" 4k 60hz display or a 27" 1080p 144hz? It's sorta that kinda question - some would take the 144, some the 55" 4K.

And seriously, thanks to everyone for the questions and input - I'll be sure to cover all this when I can put up my review. I'll say this - I have fallen in love with Elite all over again in many ways. About 6 months ago I got the Samsung 49" 32:9 144hz gaming monitor - and in short it's absolutely amazing. As such I haven't played in VR a ton since - and since I can't film for my channel in VR my time in my Rift dropped significantly. I'm back in love with VR and am, and think I will be, in it much more going forward than before. I really can't understate the clarity difference - it really is game changing, hence I can put up with some of the other annoyances.

~X

I'll say this - I have fallen in love with Elite all over again in many ways.
Could you do one of your top-notch vids about your recent VR experiences? The more people that start using VR the better the chances for VR development of ED in the future I reckon.

I'm back in love with VR and am, and think I will be, in it much more going forward than before. I really can't understate the clarity difference - it really is game changing, hence I can put up with some of the other annoyances.

Dammit! I'm really trying to resist pre-ordering this, and you're not helping!!! Main thing holding me back is my RTX 2070, which will probably be out of breath trying to drive this thing.

Could you do one of your top-notch vids about your recent VR experiences?

Pretty sure he's just waiting on permission from HP to post his video review.

Could you do one of your top-notch vids about your recent VR experiences? The more people that start using VR the better the chances for VR development of ED in the future I reckon.

Do you mean "The Best VR Headset for Elite Dangerous?", the one I just finished scripting?? Not sure it'll be done today but likely by tomorrow.

....sneak peak: Budget: Rift CV1 Non-Budget: HP Reverb Pro

~X

...snip...

Being blunt this isn't the headset for you then - as even with extenders the cable is big and bulky and uncomfortable to move around with. They are designing around their backpack PCs for full roomscale - and yes, I think that's a mistake. It's not really their fault - it's just where the technology is right now, they had to go with such a thick cable to even get 4 meters out of it - we'll just have to wait and see how extenders work.

...snip..

That's a shame. I was thinking to do like at the local VR place I get to try out the VivePro and was hoping that with extenders I could play standing up with the wires hanging down from the ceiling. I mean I know you can extend the VivePro cables a good 10 feet with no issues but sounds like you think the cable is just too bulky on the reverb. Might be great to get a nice close up of the cable in your video for those us wanting to see how big they are etc.

That's a shame. I was thinking to do like at the local VR place I get to try out the VivePro and was hoping that with extenders I could play standing up with the wires hanging down from the ceiling. I mean I know you can extend the VivePro cables a good 10 feet with no issues but sounds like you think the cable is just too bulky on the reverb. Might be great to get a nice close up of the cable in your video for those us wanting to see how big they are etc.

I'll definitely show the cable and I'm not going to say it's impossible but it would be suboptimal for sure. The issue would be you'd absolutely have to have a powered extension, which is going to be expensive and bulky on it's own. I'll definitely include a closeup of the cable for ya.

Top Bottom