HP Reverb Pro: Ask Me Anything!

Clarity issues are a thing of the past - I would describe it as looking at a 4k projector - so not as crisp as a 4k monitor but damn close. You see a bit of banding due to the fresnel lenses, but it's rather minor and you have to look for it - and only see it on a pure white background (not much of that in Elite). As for your 1080 driving it - you're not getting full ultra 4k60 either so that comparison isn't relevant - in short it's a HUGE leap above the Odyssey+ - oh and there is ZERO light leakage. ZERO. It's also significantly more comfortable and far less bulky/lighter than the Odyssey+ (which to my head was far and away the least comfortable I've ever worn - it was a total deal breaker for me it was so bad compared to others). Maybe not comparing it to the Rift you just don't know what you're missing - or my head is just very oddly shaped ;-)
~X

That's really good to hear, I can get 60 fps most of the time in space, but definitely not near stations/etc with everything set to the max. After some more reading, I've been trying to up the quality/clarity with my O+ and have found the SS to be the best way forward along with dropping the quality levels of everything else quite a bit. Previously I was leaving the SS and HMD quality at 1 to 1.25 and just hated the jagged/flickering lines everywhere. After some more testing, I'm quite pleased to see that while the textures are lower quality, the overall clarity is far better. I've still got some experimenting to do, but at least I feel like I'm on the right track.

I've been tempted to upgrade my card, but I think I'll be waiting for the next gen past the 2080, and depending on the headsets see what else is available.

I also ended up buying a VR cover pad for the O+ and it definitely helped with the light leakage, but it's still nowhere near enough. I've got pretty narrow IPD like you and could benefit from having a headset going lower than 63, so hearing that is also a plus.

Anyways, thanks again for posting up about this and the reply. If I find myself in rare situation of having money to spend on more computer stuff, I've definitely got something to think about.

Cheers!

Cmdr Exigeous, may i ask when you are comparing this with the Vive Pro, is this with the Pro Lens change mod ? or the out of the box Vive pro?

I'd be interested to know as i owned a Rift for 2 years and just recently updated to a Vive pro, and it was awful, just awful......BUT, on changing the lens it is streets above the Rift.

Cmdr Exigeous, may i ask when you are comparing this with the Vive Pro, is this with the Pro Lens change mod ? or the out of the box Vive pro?

I'd be interested to know as i owned a Rift for 2 years and just recently updated to a Vive pro, and it was awful, just awful......BUT, on changing the lens it is streets above the Rift.

Check out post 15 on page one the answer is there.

Oculus needs to send Exigeous a Rift S and Valve needs to send him an Index to compare. The OG Rift was an easy decision for me at the time. This time around I cannot decide.

...I can get 60 fps most of the time in space, but definitely not near stations/etc with everything set to the max.... .....while the textures are lower quality, the overall clarity is far better.

Personally I find that people run with their settings WAY too high for their given card with the drop in framerate hurting the experience far more than they realize. Can you run you Odyssey+ at 60 Hz? Go into the settings in MR Portal, on the headset tab and click "Advanced" (I think, that's from memory) and look for a setting that you can change from Automatic or 90hz to 60hz and restart everything. Also check and see what level of supersampling are you using in SteamVR? Mine set to 150% automatically for the Reverb, I think the Odyssey+ would be a bit lower if it does it properly. Personally I can't see the difference in 60 and 90 when seated and I'll take the extra visual quality over those frames - but found it's REALLY important to get a constant framerate as the skips I was thinking were due to tracking are NOT - they are due to framerate issues (tracking is damn near perfect now)

I've been tempted to upgrade my card, but I think I'll be waiting for the next gen past the 2080, and depending on the headsets see what else is available.

What GPU are you running now? I'd think anything less than a 1080Ti to get 90hz you should be running a "VR Medium" settings at the highest. If you're running anywhere near "everything set to max" - I can't do that on my 2080Ti

I also ended up buying a VR cover pad for the O+ and it definitely helped with the light leakage, but it's still nowhere near enough. I've got pretty narrow IPD like you and could benefit from having a headset going lower than 63, so hearing that is also a plus.

If light leakage bothers you there is NONE with the Reverb - I even pulled out the nose guard so I COULD get some (to see Discord without taking it off)

are comparing this with the Vive Pro, is this with the Pro Lens change mod ? or the out of the box Vive pro?

As I said already yes/no - when I had the Vive Pro I didn't have the upgraded lenses, but the friend I sold it to does have them so I'm very familiar. I'd have to say god rays are slightly better with those lenses but the clarity can't even be compared - they are in different classes without a doubt.

Until the Reverb I maintained the Rift CV1 was the best all around choice when everything is factored in, given the absurd cost of the Vive & Vive Pro and how terribly bulky, heavy and uncomfortable they are. I know next to no one that's owned/used both (CV1 and Vive) that picks the Vive.

Oculus needs to send Exigeous a Rift S and Valve needs to send him an Index to compare. The OG Rift was an easy decision for me at the time. This time around I cannot decide.

I AGREE! How about you get on that for me?!! Right now I have zero interest in the Rift S personally, if I could get one I'd certainly do a review on it and will be mentioning it in my shortly forthcoming VR Roundup video but I don't see me putting down my own cash for one (maybe if I can return to Amazon without restocking fees). As for the Index I'm REALLY interested in it but as I was waiting for the Reverb I didn't pre-order one, so it'll be tough to get one near launch. The extra FOV is interesting but now that I've used the Reverb I'll never give up it's resolution - I can't understate how crucial it is and how it's changed VR for me. I've been playing Elite, War Thunder and DCS constantly - and in War Thunder and DCS being able to read everything in the cockpit without leaning in AND getting super smooth framerates is just amazing. It really does feel like looking at a monitor and is what VR should have been for the past 3 years.

Hoping I can post a video about all this very soon - so please keep the questions coming.

It has a 60hz mode ?

That is going to make a massive difference to frametime and I've found that lower refresh is fine for sim racing (my primary use case for it).

Okay I want one now, hurry up HP.

It has a 60hz mode ?

That is going to make a massive difference to frametime and I've found that lower refresh is fine for sim racing (my primary use case for it).

Okay I want one now, hurry up HP.

Yep, it does - it's something you set in the Windows MR Portal app and it works great - if you're super sensitive to framerate you might not like it but for me it's great. Even with my 2080Ti I can only run with high+ settings (a few things are turned down a notch) and get a stable 60fps - save for in really intense combat where I just turn off shadows.

Thanks for very informative posts on HP Reverb. May I ask how your video review is progressing? I can't wait to see it :)

Second that... also keen to see your review, especially if it comes from an ED focused position. :)

I'm narrating it right now, script done. Barring something unforeseen I'll be posing it later today, probably about 4-5 hours from now. It's long for me, I try to stay under 5 minutes with 10 minutes on the extreme and this will be close to 15. It usually takes me about 2 hours per 1 minute of video - so you do the math ;-)

Here is one for ya, when am I actually going to be able to buy this thing, either version? Still waiting

Last edited:
Thanks for all this Exi mate.

I am a complete VR virgin aside from seeing ED on a mates PC when he bought a Oculus dev kit years ago.

I'm not sure if my system would cope with this. I have a top end i5 (9...k something) with a 1070ti, 32g ram, ssd etc.

I really couldn't afford 600 quid plus a major jump in CPU and GPU at the moment sadly.

Thanks for all this Exi mate.

I am a complete VR virgin aside from seeing ED on a mates PC when he bought a Oculus dev kit years ago.

I'm not sure if my system would cope with this. I have a top end i5 (9...k something) with a 1070ti, 32g ram, ssd etc.

I really couldn't afford 600 quid plus a major jump in CPU and GPU at the moment sadly.

For 400 quid you can get yourself a Rift S.

It's an awesome HMD - I use mine for experiences that are simply not optimised well enough to handle high resolution render workloads like that of the Verb.

Oculus have the best frame voodoo in asynchronous timewarp and spacewarp so your 1070Ti and i5 combo will still be enough to deliver a smooth experience.

If you dont want all the extras get a WMR. I have the lenovo which I run with a 1060 6G (well used to have upgraded to get a reverb.)
Great for ED and many other games simple to set up and very comfortable.

Here is one for ya, when am I actually going to be able to buy this thing, either version? Still waiting

Phoned HP this morning, 3 times to see if i got the same answer every time....

Basically the 2 different sales guys i spoke too and the 1 tech Support guy, all said they have no idea, but hopefully it won't be to long. One even suggested 'July'!!

If HP don't know or won't say, i am not holding my breath for anytime soon!

My replacement ships 12th July so I would hope there will be revised units with the sorted cable available around about that date.

Top Bottom