HP Reverb Pro: Ask Me Anything!

I received my Reverb about noon today. And a little tweaking that usually goes with equipment switches like this, let me say that Mr. Exigeous did not overstate anything about this head set, if anything he did not brag enough on it. It's beautiful wipes tear from eye. I am amazed at the leap in one generation of these things. If you have the money by all means buy one of these. You won't be sorry.

I received my Reverb about noon today. And a little tweaking that usually goes with equipment switches like this, let me say that Mr. Exigeous did not overstate anything about this head set, if anything he did not brag enough on it. It's beautiful wipes tear from eye. I am amazed at the leap in one generation of these things. If you have the money by all means buy one of these. You won't be sorry.

Writing this with huge amount of jealousy ;)

Great news that yours have arrived. I suppose a little more patience from us this side of the pond is needed. Was it easy to set up? What is the audio like (Vive Pro is dreadful enough for me to remove the headphone and use some in ear phones) ? Have you had other VR sets? if so just how much better is the reverb over these? What is ED tracking like? How do you find the IPD adjustments?

Thanks epoch5, and if you could drag yourself away from your superb Verb just to answer a few questions :):)

PS. I have owned a Rift CV1 and currently own a Vive Pro with the Lens Mod.

Last edited:
I was previously on the oculus rift. The difference is night and day. You can read the tiniest text crystal clear. This web page will help you with setup https://www.windowscentral.com/how-play-oculus-rift-games-windows-mixed-reality this covers setup for oculus and steam both. IPD was great it was automatic, worked so well I forgot all about it. Everything had crisp clear edges and vibrant colors. The audio was different than the oculus but very good none the less. These are my opinions. Others may vary but I am very happy with it, money well spent.

I was previously on the oculus rift. The difference is night and day. You can read the tiniest text crystal clear. This web page will help you with setup https://www.windowscentral.com/how-play-oculus-rift-games-windows-mixed-reality this covers setup for oculus and steam both. IPD was great it was automatic, worked so well I forgot all about it. Everything had crisp clear edges and vibrant colors. The audio was different than the oculus but very good none the less. These are my opinions. Others may vary but I am very happy with it, money well spent.

Really appreciate your responses epoch5, they have been helpful now get back to ED ;)

I assume HP will get these to Europe as soon as they can get production ramped up. Hopefully that will be ASAP.

I just got my Reverb. I only had a few minutes to try it out today, but it was an incredible experience. I'm coming from a Rift CV1, and this is an upgrade in just about every way.
Stars and distant ships are so crisp. It really feels like the way it's meant to be played.
I was worried since I have a lower IPD at around 59, but the software adjustments work great.
I'll have more time to play around with it tomorrow.

WOW no need to do that.
Oh don't get me wrong, I've played loads of it since switching to PC last month and getting my Rift S. I'm already a Baron with an iClipper, and my Asp Explorer can get 60ly jump range after some relatively simple engineering (I'm a PS4 veteran, so no what I'm doing). But I felt like I needed a break from the game, and waiting for the HP Reverb until going back sounds good to me. There are other games to play, such as No Man's Sky, and Control is out next week. :)

I just got my Reverb. I only had a few minutes to try it out today, but it was an incredible experience. I'm coming from a Rift CV1, and this is an upgrade in just about every way.
Stars and distant ships are so crisp. It really feels like the way it's meant to be played.
I was worried since I have a lower IPD at around 59, but the software adjustments work great.
I'll have more time to play around with it tomorrow.
Great to hear, I just ordered my own, after Oculus C1. What GPU are you using? I am on a Palit GTX 1070 right now. Working great with my Oculus. Do I need an upgrade? I wonder.

Regards

Great to hear, I just ordered my own, after Oculus C1. What GPU are you using? I am on a Palit GTX 1070 right now. Working great with my Oculus. Do I need an upgrade? I wonder.

Regards
The minimum is supposed to be GTX 1080. I would try the 1070 you can always upgrade LATER.

Some more thoughts after playing a bit more today:

• The connecting wire is heavy. In a seated position this is fine, but it can get annoying if you move around too much. On the flip side, the headset itself is surprisingly light.
  • The controllers feel cheap and the buttons for them are in non-ergonomic spots. I have to constantly reach farther than I would think for some of them. However, after setup, if you only want to play Sim games, this is a moot point.
  • The facemask is awesome and blocks out just about all light and lets me breath and doesn't constantly tickle my nose like the Rift does. I did not get VR-face marks after a few hours. This is a big surprising bonus for me.
  • It fits comfortably on my head and hasn't caused any pressure point issues as of a few hours testing.
  • Going from Oculus to WMR is a little step down. The software isn't as well made, and some settings that should be obvious are either hidden or nonexistant. The "home" area is more like a grad school project than a professional environment like Oculus has. Obviously, WMR is a few years behind development for Oculus, so that makes sense.
  • It doesn't need sensors so you can free up a few USB spots on your PC.
  • It can either be set for "seated" or a free-walking experience. I opted for seated to just jump in, and in that mode it keeps your head centered in one spot, with of course 360 range of vision. In Elite, that keeps your head always where it is supposed to be, which is kind of cool. If you want to walk your invisible head around your ship, you'll need to set up the free-walking mode.
  • The graphical fidelity is insane. It really does feel like the same level of detail as on a 1080p monitor. This is absolutely what every VR headset needs to strive for. Stars and nebulae look just as beautiful and full of detail as they do in flatmode. I got into a quick pvp match while testing things out and I could see the Courier's details all the way out to a few km. Up close, every detail is shown in full. The text is crisp- even the settings menus and engineers page with it's tiny text was comfortable to scroll through. The cockpit text and UI is beautiful. I used an Eagle so that I could be up close to it and see just how perfect it is.
  • The downside to all of that beauty is that it takes a toll on your PC. I have an i7-8700k cpu, 32 gb of ram, and an 2080ti. While the majority of the game was smooth as butter, asteroid belts brought down my frame rate to sub 60. Jameson Memorial was a flurry of activity, but frames stayed over 90. I will have to tweak my settings to keep up with the extra hardware that the Reverb offers. I do currently have all settings set to high or ultra.

To sum up for now: This is the VR headset made for Sim enthusiasts. I cannot imagine downgrading back to the Oculus CV1.

If anyone has specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Top Bottom