Hud colors , sry the about the devs

i legit feel bad for people that cant see the game colors right, its inconceivable that the devs cant do anything to fix that. They lost some respect points . They can easily help these people by doing there (nope) job . im also somewhat colorblind, but only with certain colors of yellowish -green . Seriously its unacceptable and if i was them , after hearing from the devs from this recent interview id uninstall and go play something else . im sorry (nope)

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes me want to try playing the game in grayscale to see if I'd notice a significant difference in function.

I wonder though, are some people actually color blind to the point where they don't see certain wavelengths of light at all, like how we can't see infrared?

i legit feel bad for people that cant see the game colors right, its inconceivable that the devs cant do anything to fix that. They lost some respect points . They can easily help these people by doing there F'n job . im also somewhat colorblind, but only with certain colors of yellowish -green . Seriously its unacceptable and if i was them , after hearing from the devs from this recent interview id uninstall and go play something else . im sorry the devs screwed u over.
The BBC micro had 8 colours in mode 2 and 4 in mode 1. Original elite used a split mode approach . Electron was just in black and white with no sun. Whats there excuse?

This makes me want to try playing the game in grayscale to see if I'd notice a significant difference in function.

I wonder though, are some people actually color blind to the point where they don't see certain wavelengths of light at all, like how we can't see infrared?

1. Tritanopia - A person with tritanopia is missing the short wavelength cones and would be considered blue/yellow colorblind. This is the rarest form of colorblindness which usually only results from damage on chromosome 7.

2. Deuteranopia - A person with this type is missing the middle wavelength cone and would be considered red/green colorblind.

3. Protonopia - Someone with this type of colorblindness is missing the long wavelength cone and would also be considered red/green colorblind.

theres always that 1 guy who thinks hes funny but really wants just wants attention.

If you follow this forum at all, you know that @Bottom Hat is in no way, shape or form mean-spirited. For the love of God, can we please please PLEASE STOP being offended by everything? Sometimes a joke is just a joke. My son is color-blind and I assure you I am not offended.

FWIW, if you are colorblind or know someone who is, these are the real deal: www.enchroma.com . We bought a pair for my son and he teared up when he first wore them. "I cannot BELIEVE the sky is that color".

What's the deal with colorblind people and Elite ? I don't see what is bothering them in the game, please educate me.
I'm somewhat lightly colorblind red/green but I usually remember only when I cross a colorblind specific test, otherwise it never bother me.

If you follow this forum at all, you know that @Bottom Hat is in no way, shape or form mean-spirited. For the love of God, can we please please PLEASE STOP being offended by everything? Sometimes a joke is just a joke. My son is color-blind and I assure you I am not offended.

FWIW, if you are colorblind or know someone who is, these are the real deal: www.enchroma.com . We bought a pair for my son and he teared up when he first wore them. "I cannot BELIEVE the sky is that color".

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I was a little surprised by the response to a repeated forum joke, but I think you summed it up nicely - cheers mate :)

I think that's a no...

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm going to go back to the naughty step from where I came!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I was a little surprised by the response to a repeated forum joke, but I think you summed it up nicely - cheers mate :)

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm going to go back to the naughty step from where I came!
Yea I've seen joke before...
I know colour blind people. They got enough stuff deal with as a result of being like that.
It's the timing and place that was issue.

1. Tritanopia - A person with tritanopia is missing the short wavelength cones and would be considered blue/yellow colorblind. This is the rarest form of colorblindness which usually only results from damage on chromosome 7.

2. Deuteranopia - A person with this type is missing the middle wavelength cone and would be considered red/green colorblind.

3. Protonopia - Someone with this type of colorblindness is missing the long wavelength cone and would also be considered red/green colorblind.

For CMDRs on PC I’m happy to make some coloured HUDs specifically designed to assist with the three types of colour blindness. All you would need to do is tell me the colour hex code for each HUD element.

It’s something I always wanted to do with EDHM but ran out of time at the end of last year.

If anyone has colour blindness and wants to chat about this confidentially then you’re welcome to PM me.

Otherwise just let me know here if you’d like to help put some colour blindness HUDs together, and we also have a discord for chatting about this sort of thing

o7

Last edited:
I'm not colour blind but I do suffer from hypersensitivity to light (aka Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome).
Bright lights and extreme colour contrasts are physically painful for me to look at, so much so that I have to wear sunglasses (or at least bring them with me just incase) whenever I go outside just to be able to see properly (don't even get me started on fluorescent lights!).

The only issue I have with EDs colour scheme is the extreme difference between the blackness of space and that bloody bright orange colour.
Luckily (sort of) there's a HUD brightness setting, which I have turned almost all the way down.
The blue they use for Analysis Mode isn't too bad as it's quite a deep shade, so I often switch to that when I'm not in combat, but being mostly a combat pilot it gets quite irritating staring at that orange HUD for long periods of time.
It would be so much better if there was an option to change the colours to something less painful to look at as the lowest setting still gives me headaches after a while.
I'm a console player so unfortunately all the fantastic custom colour schemes I've seen the PC players using are unavailable to me and actually make me quite jealous.

So I completely sympathise with any CMDRs with visual impairment issues and always chime in on any suggestion to allow HUD colour configuration.

o7

For CMDRs on PC I’m happy to make some coloured HUDs specifically designed to assist with the three types of colour blindness. All you would need to do is tell me the colour hex code for each HUD element.

It’s something I always wanted to do with EDHM but ran out of time at the end of last year.

If anyone has colour blindness and wants to chat about this confidentially then you’re welcome to PM me.

Otherwise just let me know here if you’d like to help put some colour blindness HUDs together, and we also have a discord for chatting about this sort of thing

o7

Your mod is a true game-changer! I've been using it a while with only minor tweaks to the presets. After much back and forth about whether to have a unique preset for each ship/ship type/manufacturer, I ultimately decided my comfort level is a preset for each manufacturer. I've been using the red/yellow preset #2 for Faulcon/Zorgon ships, green preset #3 - I think - for Lakon and the Saud Kruger brown preset for Saud Kruger (which sounds boring on the surface but in-game the mellow bronze color is really very elegant and classy-looking, perfect for my Beluga). I don't own any Core Dynamics or Gutamaya ships as I have other ships to fill the smaller ship roles and don't yet have the rep for either the Corvette or Cutter). I know you're waiting until Odyssey before any major updates, but I'd encourage you to consider making more manufacturer-specific presets by-name. Either way, this is fantastic work!

To be honest, I really don't think the default orange HUD is a problem for color-blind users and don't understand the silly politically-correct rhetoric being thrown around this thread. "They got enough stuff (to) deal with as a result of being like that." Seriously? Lighten up, Francis. You act like they're having to defeat cancer. My son and step-son are both color-blind and doing just fine in life. It's never once been a barrier in any way to their success (and neither has any trouble whatsoever with Elite's default orange HUD).

I think some people misunderstand what color-blindness is, perhaps thinking it means seeing in black and white or something. It's not at all like that. Color-blind people still see in color, just not quite the same as you and me. There are some photos that perfectly illustrate the differences here: https://www.boredpanda.com/differen...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic . In general, most color-blind users don't perceive bright colors, especially bright red and green, as vibrant as others. They often see reds and greens as similar shades of brown, making them difficult to distinguish from one another. The color-blind glasses I linked to in an earlier post work by entirely filtering out the most problematic overlapping wavelengths of light in between red and green, making them much easier to separate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom