Hug the ground to avoid radar detection when doing scan missions

I took a planetary scan mission. As I approached the outpost I decided to try to make this boring mission feel more exciting. I pretended that there was some kind of radar so I had to fly low as I approached the outpost to avoid being detected.

Wouldn't these missions be a lot cooler if you had to fly low and go silent running as you approached the station?

This game could be so great if they made an effort to flesh out the gameplay and missions.

This, plus the ability to be hidden from other ships' sensors (ie, no unresolved contact blip) when flying low, depending on surface temperature. You've seen how hot some of these HMCWs and MRWs can get, right? You'd figure my ship's heat sig would blend in more, especially when silent running on cooler worlds.

As in, the cooler the planet, the more likely you'll need to go silent running to stay hidden. But on hotter worlds, you'll have to keep your heat within a certain threshold to maintain stealth.

At one time, we had outpost attack missions that were more involving - they pulled those in 3.3 (I think). - You could attack from a distance within 2.5Km of that target with your ship. - Planetary outposts and stations, orbital outposts and solar system stations were also included in these types of missions. - Some chained missions included this aspect.

At one time, we had outpost attack missions that were more involving - they pulled those in 3.3 (I think). - You could attack from a distance within 2.5Km of that target with your ship. - Planetary outposts and stations, orbital outposts and solar system stations were also included in these types of missions. - Some chained missions included this aspect.
Would like to see something like that popped back too.
Could make weapon loadouts more interesting, go and fix up a planetary bomb ship to attack outposts while fighting and/or avoiding defenses.

It’s funny how many people are aligned in wanting good, interesting mechanics that make everything about this game more exciting and immersive, that frontier just doesn’t seem to be interested in applying, only good old fight or flight basics.

I do not think it is that FDev not wanting to do it, but I think it much more complex than what many can imagine to actually implement.

I did one the other day and flew very low to the ground, once the station defenses were triggered they couldn't hit me at all. I lost my shields only from bumping into things not from enemy fire. It was lots of fun to fly at SRV level and have the light-show above me. Still got hit with all the bounties. :(

You can still do most of that now. It's just not required - there's more than one way to complete those missions.

Planetary outpost attack - e.g. "disable settlement power grid" - the mission description tells you to use an SRV, but far quicker to complete using ship weapons. The lazy way is with dumbfire missiles, but it's more fun to fly a high-speed multicannon strafing run, or play the sniper and railgun the generator from outside the NFZ.

Moreover, with this year's update we got megaship and installation scenarios, including attack missions - e.g. "disable megaship turrets" - that you obviously have to complete using ship weapons. I think the only thing you won't ever get a mission to attack (because it would be suicide) is actual stations.

Technically planetary scan missions are supposed to be done with SRVs, there's your "undetected" sequence. But people get lazy and do these missions on ships. Being mauled by orbitals is pretty fair tradeoff if you ask me, but still poor one...

call me picky (idea is cool though) but radar by this time (1000 years in the future) would be a very ancient way of tracking. In an era with FTL communications I would imagine some sort of Si-Fi voodoo that would allow them to detect a fly within range if needed....actually I am surprised the theme of micro-surveillance has not been touched on, but that's another thing :D

call me picky (idea is cool though) but radar by this time (1000 years in the future) would be a very ancient way of tracking. In an era with FTL communications I would imagine some sort of Si-Fi voodoo that would allow them to detect a fly within range if needed....actually I am surprised the theme of micro-surveillance has not been touched on, but that's another thing :D

True, but that could be said of most things in the game: lack of autopilots, visual range combat, even human spaceflight. Almost everything we do could be perfectly automated today, never mind a thousand years hence.

I think for sanity's sake we've gotta just throw our hands up and accept it's a weird low-high-tech fantasy future like Fallout or a Buck Rogers-lite, where some technology is astonishingly far advanced, and some technology got stuck in time or somehow regressed.

I feel like everybody who is interested in games where they fly something should understand the concept of staying below the radar and it's a shame that you had to tell people about this

True, but that could be said of most things in the game: lack of autopilots, visual range combat, even human spaceflight. Almost everything we do could be perfectly automated today, never mind a thousand years hence.

I think for sanity's sake we've gotta just throw our hands up and accept it's a weird low-high-tech fantasy future like Fallout or a Buck Rogers-lite, where some technology is astonishingly far advanced, and some technology got stuck in time or somehow regressed.

Yeah, I was just joking around, there are SOOOO many examples of this ancient but futuristic tech it is not funny. like Multi-cannons that fire like 2 bullets per second (meanwhile today we have Vulcan cannons that 'Vrrrrt' at 100-110 rounds per second) :D :D

I am pretty sure this was supposed to be the SRV game play

Anti Ship Guns and a Patrol made it dangerous for a ship to approach a surface base so the SRV was dropping off out of range and made its way in using terrain to avoid the smaller anti surface defences and being under the radar of the patrolling ships

But at some point NPC ships were able to snipe SRVs, and you could never shake them as they would follow you for hundreds of kms over hours, rendering the surface SRV attack undetected impossible

They could even use the completely unused since horizons launched "blue detection circle" which was meant to be for finding things on the surface, but was total trash, to show radar detection ranges.

Who didn't use that?

Never seen it used after an update or so after horizons.

Guessing you use it all the time. I guess some people use it, haven't heard of its use being very popularised, maybe I am wrong. Seems slightly redundant after the DSS probe system.

Still, it'd be useful for this kind of thing.

Top Bottom