PvP Hull Reinforcements vs. Module Reinforcements

well, i'd rather have medium sized mrp instead of smallest ones.

I mean a size 1 mrp offers puny protection. 70 modules armor.
While a size 1 hrp g5 heavy/duty with deep plating gives 200 hull and 14% resists.
So usually on my combat ships, size one slots are reserved for hrp
If you have a medium MRP, a C1 slot is a good place to put a second MRP. The amount of integrity it provides is irrelevant, it's all about boosting the internal module protection your larger MRP provides up to 84% and your external module protection up to 51%.

The other aspect is: what are you fitting MRPs and HRPS for? HRPs make sense to boost your hull to prevent phase spanking, but unless you intend to be in combat with shields down you might want to see MRPs and HRPs as buying time in an escape. Being beefcake is great until you want to move.

The other aspect is: what are you fitting MRPs and HRPS for? HRPs make sense to boost your hull to prevent phase spanking, but unless you intend to be in combat with shields down you might want to see MRPs and HRPs as buying time in an escape. Being beefcake is great until you want to move.
Bingo. My courier packs MRPs because I had my thrusters malfunction after I accidentally tagged a cop in a hi-res back when I was starting out. Hull lasted long enough to get them back and wake out, which told me I had more hull than necessary and not enough module protection.

If a person snipes your modules do they do general hull damage?

There is a penetration chance, that has to succeed before any damage makes it to an internal module. If it fails, it all goes to the hull.

If the penetration chance succeeds, then the penetration damage of the weapon is dealt to the module (minus resistances from hull and MRPs) or modules (in the case of those with internal splash damage or penetrator rails which hit everything in a line), with any left over dealt to the hull.

Also what Scree said. More then 2 HRPs are not necessary imho, on shieldtanks or PvE vessels one should be sufficient, or you can even go with 0.

I always recommend at least one, but rarely more than two.

Even well shielded vessels can find themselves shieldless, or under attack by flechettes.

Smaller HRPs have excellent protection to mass ratios and a few of them aren't a burden to most ships.

Even my multipurpose mission runner/explorer Courier has both an MRP and HRP.

You could have a Googolplex of absolute shield. But I've watched skilled CMDRS on youtube flechette powerplants to dust. Either the plant drops down below shield allocation and turns off, or the plant hits 0 and they go boom. There's also phasing and reverbs.

So yeah it pays to have 1 or 2 MRPs.

Warg, as a friend I tell you: you neither need HRPs nor MRPs at all.
And always go for D rated shields, they are the best.
You may or may not follow this advice.

Also what Scree said. More then 2 HRPs are not necessary imho, on shieldtanks or PvE vessels one should be sufficient, or you can even go with 0.

When you say "more than 2 HRPs are not necessary...", you mean MRPs right? (sarcastic advice from your quote aside)

I have to admit that my functional survivability (against NPCs) has been improved with the MRP.
I can take more hull damage without losing modules.
Very nice.

Coriolis lists the protection from 3 MRPs as 94%.
So my understanding of all of the above is that you stack the bottom two Class 1 slots with MRPs and one upper Large Class Size slot with another MRP.
That way 94% of damage that should have gone through to a module will be soaked up by the Biggest MRP.
By the time the Big MRP is gone, you should be just about waked out of there with a couple of percent of Hull left. You never want to be relying on those tiny MRPs so if you get any module failures you need to be watching that FSD charging bar.

I run a shieldless frag Krait and it rocks my box.
Reactive Armour with G5 Thermal Resist and Deep Plating
5 HRPs all G5 Heavy Duty with Deep Plating.
3 MRPs

All internals and Utilities Engineered either for cold or for integrity. Sometimes even B rated for more base integrity.
Idles at 22% thermal. And has like a kabillion hit points. Handles like a brick and hits you like one.

The sheildless thing makes CMDRs think I'm easy prey.
My favorite thing is when we've been jousting a while and they can see I'm kinda slow, my opponent is on about 40% hull and I'm on about 32% and they try their first ram.
Suddenly they're 24% and I'm 29% and they're sitting still within easy reach of my Frags, with seconds to go until their next boost is available. Because of shieldless I can keep 4 pips to engines and perma boost, only swinging pips to weaps if they're coming in slow enough that I can get a second round of frags off with the fast reload from the Double Shot Screening Shell.
In a long fight I do a lot of toggling the silent running, but my PAs also have Target Lock Breakers so I'm kinda super annoying to fight. "Where'd he go?"
And then I have so many hit points that if I feel like I'm going to die, I have time to wake out.

I was in a CZ with a buddy the other day and he said I was entertaining because I barge around smashing into things. Going nose to nose with a vette pips to weaps spray spray spray.

And yeah - when you hull tank - your hull is your ammo.
PvP - wake out for repairs at 17% remaining.
PvE - As long as there's no Spec Ops around you can run it down to 3% before looking for your exit. But I have taken a few rebuys from thinking I'm bulletproof.

Last edited:
Top Bottom