Federal Dropship
Federal Assault Ship
Federal Gunship
Hauler
Adder
Fer De Lance
Eagle
Imperial Eagle...

The list goes on, half of the ships have at least some form of control surface that would make sense in atmosphere. Convince me otherwise, please

It doesn't matter if they're aerodynamic anyway. Their thrust is powerful enough and presumable responsive enough to keep them stable and moving around without relying on aerodynamics.

Some might be more efficient than others, capable of higher speeds in atmospheres, etc., but all are capable enough, even as flying bricks.

Last edited:
You also forget that this takes place in 3304, so I'm confident that aeronautical science and engineering has far surpassed anything we can dare to imagine today.

Fluid dynamics is pretty well understood today. However, we do have matter-blocking shields in 3304, so in theory one could have a dedicated, specialized low power shield that puts an aerodynamic bubble around a starship so it can fly well no matter what its shape is.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3

Deleted member 38366

D
Dolphin
Orca
Beluga
Federal Dropship
Federal Assault Ship
Federal Gunship
Hauler
Adder
Fer De Lance
Eagle
Imperial Eagle...

The list goes on, half of the ships have at least some form of control surface that would make sense in atmosphere. Convince me otherwise, please

Surface/Shape of a Ship and "external surfaces" (let's assume they can move) are one thing.
But Cg and required AOA with resulting minimum speeds to handle in a standard atmosphere or max. AOA would likely be the biggest issue.

However, for Gameplay purposes, I clearly wouldn't expect Frontier to start toying around with Weight & Balance calculations :D
(I guess the maneuvering Thrusters would still remain primary means of Flight Control, which would make sense)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluid dynamics is pretty well understood today. However, we do have matter-blocking shields in 3304, so in theory one could have a dedicated, specialized low power shield that puts an aerodynamic bubble around a starship so it can fly well no matter what its shape is.

It's a moot point anyway. Our ships don't rely on winged powered flight. It's like arguing that hot air balloons wouldn't make good aerodynamic aircraft or something equally silly. It's missing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
PAM-AM bring the continents closer to you. Sponsored in association with Gutemala Airways - Luxury at every altitude.

Nice vid though.

V2k.

It doesn't matter if they're aerodynamic anyway. Their thrust is powerful enough and presumable responsive enough to keep them stable and moving around without relying on aerodynamics.

Some might be more efficient than others, capable of higher speeds in atmospheres, etc., but all are capable enough, even as flying bricks.
They have a hard time in mid G worlds just keeping straight while landing. That's without atmosphere. I cannot imagine trying to fight 1G plus the windspeeds against a T10 hull.

Deleted member 115407

D

See, there ya go - science.

Nice video. It looks like maybe FSX in the background with addon textures or satellite/altitude scenery, along with active-sky weather. I wonder if that's an edited video, or someone did custom ED ship modeling for fsx. There have been plenty of fan-modeling where you can make any kind of flyable(or drivable roughly) structure. Turn off the realism for air-friction damage and these things can be equipped to go faster > mach 2. https://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-58-59

Flight in atmospherics should already be trival in ED and Elite lore where FFE&FE2 already had it. Besides the shield, there could also be a protective effect from the FSD in "cruise" mode at 2500m/s.

They have a hard time in mid G worlds just keeping straight while landing. That's without atmosphere. I cannot imagine trying to fight 1G plus the windspeeds against a T10 hull.

Yeah, mate, but what're we talking here, like 10x thrust to weight ratio? To be fair, I mostly only use the small ships in the game.

I type with an accent and it’s not role play or a joke...it’s just a habit that I’ve had fer a very long time and it doesn’t bother me enough to change now.

And I’m from Belfast in Northern Ireland so close enough ^

I'll stick my neb in here to add some background for SkyB
In the UK there are still places that use older forms of the English language. I have worked with people who used “Thee and thou” in their everyday speech. People whose accent is the one that Hollywood used for pirates. (Oo ar! The West Country.) ;)
In local forums we often write in dialect especially if we are proud of it. It can be a bit political. :eek:

I am not a native English speaker and need to know why people on this forum sometimes say "Ye" instead of "You".

To me it invokes a feeling of cringe due to them trying to role play a 17th century sailor.

Is my assumption correct or do I miss the joke.

"Ye" is a fairly standard way of addressing someone here in Ireland

It should be easier. In a non-atmospheric planet there is no terminal velocity until you hit the ground. In an atmospheric planet it theoretically should be easier. Yes you will get movement and turbulence, but it will be easier. Planes these days can virtually fly themselves and that includes landing and takeoff.

With flight assist on and using shields to make yourself as aerodynamic as possible, there really shouldn't be huge issues.

I don't know if Mat posts on the forum but I hope he won't mind if I alert everyone to the fact that he's done another one!

[video=youtube_share;H8xnWcCm54w]https://youtu.be/H8xnWcCm54w[/video]

Top Bottom