PvP Hunting miners in Borann

To fix this, make stolen goods worth 10x the market value?

Why would they be worth more because they are stolen? That's even more of a contrivance and an easily abused on at that.

The problem is the time and effort it takes to acquire cargo legitimately vs. the time and risk of stealing it. Since we can't really make theft any faster or easier without removing gameplay, the supply side would need to feature lower quantities for the same work.

There are obviously other fundamental issues (ease of bypassing gameplay via legitimate and illegitimate means, as well as useless C&P) that pose further issue for privacy, but if those are ever ironed out it's going to come down to making sure that it takes more time and effort to mine something than it does to take it, but with the latter being the more risky option.

At black markets only or something. Even if it bends how commerce works, it is at least a nice game change.

If the act of stealing something increases it's value, it will just add a 'jettison without abandon' step to people's trade. It won't incentivize actual piracy, rather it will make swapping cargo with someone best practice.

Stolen goods being worth more is also completely backwards from a rational perspective. Stuff that is of dubious origin, or known to be stolen, is harder to unload and commands lesser prices because you either have to take measures (an expense) to make it appear legitimate, or sell it to someone who doesn't care (which narrows the potential market).

... making sure that it takes more time and effort to mine something than it does to take it, but with the latter being the more risky option.

Ah, the popular nerf mining solution. What are your plans for the FC, Morbad?

Ah, the popular nerf mining solution.

I suppose that's what it amounts to, but it's not the value of a unit of cargo that would need adjustment to incentivize piracy. It's how quickly that ton of whatever can be created/obtained. Simply reducing value wouldn't change the mine/theft reward dynamic.

What are your plans for the FC, Morbad?

I doubt I'll have my CMDR get his own, at least not any time soon.

I suppose that's what it amounts to, but it's not the value of a unit of cargo that would need adjustment to incentivize piracy. It's how quickly that ton of whatever can be created/obtained. Simply reducing value wouldn't change the mine/theft reward dynamic.

I doubt I'll have my CMDR get his own, at least not any time soon.
If it takes twice as long to mine 100t, CMDRs like me will go back to doing what I was doing before, and now pirates have less targets. What you say is logical and correct. A lot of whiners want other activities to be at the same profit level as mining. The most logical solution is to reduce mining to be as profitable as everything else. The attraction of Borann is how many miners congregate there. As it stands now and is unlikely to change is piracy roleplay is fun and its not done for the earning potential.

As it stands now and is unlikely to change is piracy roleplay is fun and its not done for the earning potential.

I agree that it's unlikely to change, but this is my single biggest problem with piracy.

To be a pirate, one has to roleplay a thief that doesn't really care about profit. While I can think of some examples of this, they are a tiny minority, and piracy will never feel right in a game where it only exists as entertainment from an in-character perspective.

Just one of those things I don't think they really thought through when designing the game.

Would owning a FC break your roleplay construct?

No, but the sort of gameplay that would allow my CMDR to afford a FC in short order has all sorts of things attached to it that strain my suspension of disbelief.

Just as importantly, the actual FC gameplay doesn't appeal to me personally. My CMDR o alsdoesn't need his own fleet carrier to hitch a ride to the places only an FC can take him.

Why would they be worth more because they are stolen? That's even more of a contrivance and an easily abused on at that.

The problem is the time and effort it takes to acquire cargo legitimately vs. the time and risk of stealing it. Since we can't really make theft any faster or easier without removing gameplay, the supply side would need to feature lower quantities for the same work.

There are obviously other fundamental issues (ease of bypassing gameplay via legitimate and illegitimate means, as well as useless C&P) that pose further issue for privacy, but if those are ever ironed out it's going to come down to making sure that it takes more time and effort to mine something than it does to take it, but with the latter being the more risky option.

If the act of stealing something increases it's value, it will just add a 'jettison without abandon' step to people's trade. It won't incentivize actual piracy, rather it will make swapping cargo with someone best practice.

Stolen goods being worth more is also completely backwards from a rational perspective. Stuff that is of dubious origin, or known to be stolen, is harder to unload and commands lesser prices because you either have to take measures (an expense) to make it appear legitimate, or sell it to someone who doesn't care (which narrows the potential market).

It is backwards. But Elite doesn't make much sense in many many areas. Simply removing combat logging when being detained by a pirate and making PKing in secure jurisdictions meaningful in a consequential way - and increasing prices stations will pay in non-secure areas to compensate - would help quite a bit for this issue.

When a person carries 512 tons and is asked to give only 9, it's more like begging for mercy than a pirate.
A pirate must take all 512 and if he's noble, don't kill the one he took from.

Mercy? I don't know about that. It's not like his children will go hungry tonight, if he doesn't get all 512 tons. Besides, I run into so few players in open, I'm just happy to have a conversation once in awhile. ;)

I remember a pirate CMDR that posted a really good vid 2-3 years ago. The music was awesome. This CMDR used an iEagle with RGs. IIRC, this particular CMDR was only asking for no more than 2-4 tons. He or she, didn't kill unless the target flatly refused to cooperate. I always admired that pirate, mostly for using an iEagle skillfully enough, to make the targets stand and deliver. Granted, the targets weren't major shield tanks, or battle wagons. Still, I felt it was imaginative and showed a bit of chutzpah. I wish I could remember who that was...

SR o7

I guess there's something I don't understand.

What's wrong with..:
1. Got a half-armed Cutter.
2. Flew to the mining site.
3. Intercepted the T9(NPC), knocked out his power and overloaded him with 400 tons of diamonds.

What's wrong with that?

That's one slippery Dolphin, eh @Old Duck ?
old duck.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom