Hybridization Breeding

So, I've come to learn a bit about PZ mechanics in the short 4 months I've had it. I also love the animal choices they have (I'd prefer other species, but it's nice to see some obscure, unknown animals in the game [Formosan Black Bear, anyone?]). Anyway, I've also come to learn that in the wild, when 2 animals of the same genus but different species breed, we have a hybrid. A famous example is the red wolf/coyote hybrids, which I saw once up in Northeast Texas (it was far bigger than a coyote).

So, what if PZ added animal hybrids to the game. But they have a different format to obtaining/eliminating. You cannot release them to the wild, but you can sell them. Also, maybe they can be even more popular than basic animals. How you get them? Breeding them or buying them from other players. (Maybe the devs can add a special breeding compound for specialized breeding).

Anyway, only animals of the same genus can crossbreed. Examples include all species from the Panthera genus (lion, tiger, jaguar), the Ursus genus (polar bear, black bear, brown bear, grizzly), and the Canis genus (artic wolf, timber wolf, dingo [yes, they're all technically the same species, but until they add other members of Canis, that's all we got)

What are y'all thoughts? Would it interest y'all or not? The more important question: would it work with how the game works?

Of course, they'd have to be hybrids that people have realistically bred and that have lived a long time. And not all hybrids can breed, while others can. But I can't remember all the hybrids that can/can't

Almost all Hybrids are infertile, so I don't see the point to be honest.
I'd rather have the devs focus on existing animals.

And Zoo's also don't crossbreed to create hybrid's, so I don't see this as a welcome feature IMO.

Last edited:
That's not necessarily true. The red wolf and coyote hybrids have been breeding and have taken over parts where the wolf originally lived. 2 distinct species, 1 breeding hybrid

Given the game is conservation focused (or so they say), I don't see the mechanics of having hybrid animals really fitting into the conservation theme. Which isn't to say they can't do it, I just suspect they won't.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Hybrids would be interesting
But:
-It would be a lot of Work that could be invested in purebred Species and because we only got a Maximum of 5 Animals per DLC so far of which one is a Exhibit Animal, I would prefer it if they wouldn't work on Hybrids (at least for now)

-We should need to pay a large Amount of Money and maybe also Conservation Credits as a Punishment for some Hybrids that we breed. Not only because it's absolutely worthless for Conservation (without considering that they might bring more Guests into the Zoo which would lead to more Money that could be invested to make the Conservation better) but also because some Hybrids can cause Problems for the Mother when they are born (Liger for Example) but I think Camel Hybrids would be ok (because they are domesticated anyways and I think they won't have such big Problems during Birth)

A Idea I've already had in the Past regarding Hybrids in the Game and has nothing to do with why we shouldn't have them/which Disadvantages we should get for the intended Breeding of most Hybrids, is that every Animal should have a Place to live, so I've had the Idea that we could get some kind of small random Event where we can get the Assignment to care for a Liger or another Hybrid that we'll get from a Circus, Private Owner or something similar for which the Player wouldn't need to pay a Punishment because it would be to help a Animal (same of course if a Player would buy a Hybrid from another Player)

Leaving aside the conservation and ethical issues, each hybrid would need a new rig etc.... I'd prefer more actual species be added instead.

I wouldn’t mind red wolves as a reskin after we get a lot of unique animals, but as for hybridization, I’m more against it from a game dev time allocation standpoint. Naturally occurring hybridization Is interesting but conservation of pure species is important especially in this climate.

Ok, I was just curious. I see y'alls points. Although I agree with the earlier comment that the only thing they'll truly be good for is as a guest magnet. Natural hybridization has interested me, and i was curious of how the devs could add it if it ever came to that. I prefer actual species, to be honest, but I thought that a zoo with a liger or a zonkey would be fun

Top Bottom