Hyperspace Jump within system?

........... Also, SC is a bit hard to figure since I can Never over-take other ships, they always accelerate far ahead of me even if I think my ship is faster than their Sidewinder. But NPC can always easily catch up to me in SC... I think overall FD make NPC follow the same rules as players but in case of SC I have a pretty big doubt about that.

That shows a misunderstanding then. All vessel's supercruise performance is the same. Your acceleration and deceleration (for set throttle) is determined purely by gravity. You can always catch-up at the end of a journey, which is what NPC pirates do.

That shows a misunderstanding then. All vessel's supercruise performance is the same. Your acceleration and deceleration (for set throttle) is determined purely by gravity. You can always catch-up at the end of a journey, which is what NPC pirates do.
Well, they routinely interdict me (often while invisible on the sensor disc... but that's another story), while I am at full throttle and not ending the journey.

But it's possible I've not paid quite close enough attention to gravity well depart and approach so I'll do some experimenting.

Thanks for some insight/idea.

Well, they routinely interdict me (often while invisible on the sensor disc... but that's another story), while I am at full throttle and not ending the journey.

One thing that used to annoy me was the apparent ability of NPC to see me when I couldn't see them, when they do the initial trash-talk (... "Good job I found you" ... etc). So then I started using my "Target Next" and "Target Previous" buttons and sure enough, there on the sensor screen would show a selected icon and the target panel would show the name of the NPC that had messaged with their ship picture - even before that ship had been scanned by me. So they are actually there on the sensor after all - I have never not seen one since I started doing this.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
I made the trip to Hutton twice. It was a curiousity the first trip and after that it was pointless. There is not meaningful game-play that comes up on those long flights. If FD could do something more meaningful and add some features to SC then maybe it would be a thing more folks would see as a positive. Also, SC is a bit hard to figure since I can Never over-take other ships, they always accelerate far ahead of me even if I think my ship is faster than their Sidewinder. But NPC can always easily catch up to me in SC... I think overall FD make NPC follow the same rules as players but in case of SC I have a pretty big doubt about that.
What made you decide to go to Hutton? See if you use common sense instead of asking for a short cut. You can avoid the 10% of the systems with long travel time. You also have the option to drop the missions. If they are too far. Just like I have the option to drop the missions that has combat ships that are too hard.

How about a new "SC technology breakthrough" that just allows faster acceleration and doesn't limit out at 2001C? No major changes/coding necessary! Just adjust the max speed limit and acceleration rate. even TJ could to it.

Lestat

Banned
How about a new "SC technology breakthrough" that just allows faster acceleration and doesn't limit out at 2001C? No major changes/coding necessary! Just adjust the max speed limit and acceleration rate. even TJ could to it.
Or stop accepting all missions with out any research and Start using Galaxy map and system map before accepting the missions.

Or stop accepting all missions with out any research and Start using Galaxy map and system map before accepting the missions.

its not out of ignorance...I KNOW where those systems are, and I rarely run missions. I just still want to go there. especially when exploring and I want to map an ELW 600k LS away. waiting for 40 minutes in SC isn't exactly compelling gameplay.

It doesn't affect YOUR gameplay at all. YOU can choose to slow down and spend hours in SC if you want to.

There is simply no reason for a game to waste my time like that. When I'm working I bill out at $600/hr. Wasting an hour of my time in SC is just insulting.

Last edited:
What made you decide to go to Hutton? See if you use common sense instead of asking for a short cut. You can avoid the 10% of the systems with long travel time. You also have the option to drop the missions. If they are too far. Just like I have the option to drop the missions that has combat ships that are too hard.
True enough. But yeah, I don't have to justify to anyone why I decided to go to Hutton and I will ask for short-cuts for all non-value-added total wastes of my time whenever I like. Or maybe I am outside the bubble and there isn't any station around at all.

Multi-crew "instant teleport" came about and got the same complaints as micro-jumps to in-system stars and ship xfer. Why don't FD force players to be in the same station before they can multi-crew? Because it wouldn't be fun or even have a point that is why- and notice they didn't survey the forums about it either.

I'm all for SC and travel times but seriously, when is watching a timer for 20 minutes and nothing happening considered cool gameplay? If this was required in every video-game I think I might just sell off all my gaming gear and give it up.

I sure hope when we get Elite Feet/ EVA that FD puts super-fast trains/tube transport in stations, because if I am forced to walk 20 minutes to a mission giver or infirmary, I will just get missions from my cockpit like today and skip the time waste. Again, if they can put a lot of fun stuff in there, or if I choose to do it as my own option, then it may be different.

The great thing is that ED can easily offer the player the choice and let the player choose the long walk or the fast travel route as they wish. It isn't a binary/ either-or choice.

Similarly, IMHO the in-ship delivery system is stupid and preferred FD's original version of basically instant. I rarely see other commanders in open unless I'm at the starter systems or a super-hot community goal site. Because of the nature of the game, arguments about emergent play, PvP unfairness, blockades, and someone else's enjoyment of watching Netflix while the ED countdown timer runs, could never even occur in my play-time 99.5% of the time.

Most games with big maps have "fast travel" mechanics even if they have to be unlocked by an initial visit - the devs realize spending 20 minutes real time just to walk back to a base camp is silly.

I think in this case we have two viewpoints and the folks on either side just can't really understand the other at all, and this impasse may never be breached based on the long history of proposals similar to this.

Lestat

Banned
its not out of ignorance...I KNOW where those systems are, and I rarely run missions. I just still want to go there. especially when exploring and I want to map an ELW 600k LS away. waiting for 40 minutes in SC isn't exactly compelling gameplay.
Well stop using super cruise assist. And throttle up to max. And move away from the gravity wall. Start using common Sense when you look at distance and ask yourself this is the payoff worth the distance. Instead of asking for a easy button

There is simply no reason for a game to waste my time like that. When I'm working I bill out at $600/hr. Wasting an hour of my time in SC is just insulting.
Then stop insulting yourself by not using some common sense. See If I see a planet 600k LS. The first thing I do is look to see if anyone else been to that system or not then ask my self is the credits worth the reward. If not you still have 399,999,999,999 systems I can explore.

Lestat

Banned
True enough. But yeah, I don't have to justify to anyone why I decided to go to Hutton and I will ask for short-cuts for all non-value-added total wastes of my time whenever I like. Or maybe I am outside the bubble and there isn't any station around at all.
If it waste your time. Then there 65,000 stations to suit your needs.

Multi-crew "instant teleport" came about and got the same complaints as micro-jumps to in-system stars and ship xfer. Why don't FD force players to be in the same station before they can multi-crew? Because it wouldn't be fun or even have a point that is why- and notice they didn't survey the forums about it either.
Muli crew had Nothing to do with the short cuts you are talking about.

I'm all for SC and travel times but seriously, when is watching a timer for 20 minutes and nothing happening considered cool gameplay? If this was required in every video-game I think I might just sell off all my gaming gear and give it up.
Easy fix If it too far then discard. If I was in combat that I could not win I have the same choice. If it's too hard then I will discard.

I am going to talk about something that not in the game yet

Most games with big maps have "fast travel" mechanics even if they have to be unlocked by an initial visit - the devs realize spending 20 minutes real time just to walk back to a base camp is silly.
Ya and this is the reason I hate those games with instant teleportation.

I think in this case we have two viewpoints and the folks on either side just can't really understand the other at all, and this impasse may never be breached based on the long history of proposals similar to this.
Yes the group that avoid using other parts of the game. Or complains if they are forced to make a choice. While the other group research or look at a mission or system and decide distance worth the credits or not and keeps playing.

Well stop using super cruise assist. And throttle up to max. And move away from the gravity wall. Start using common Sense when you look at distance and ask yourself this is the payoff worth the distance. Instead of asking for a easy button

I've NEVER used SC assist. Even at 2001C some of those secondary solar systems are WAY to far away

Then stop insulting yourself by not using some common sense. See If I see a planet 600k LS. The first thing I do is look to see if anyone else been to that system or not then ask my self is the credits worth the reward. If not you still have 399,999,999,999 systems I can explore.

why don't you stop trying to insult me? I have more in game money than I'll ever need. If I started asking "is the credit reward worth the effort?" I'd have stopped playin the game ages ago. That said, it doesn't mean I want to have my time wasted. SC is not gameplay. I don't care how you justify it. sitting at your computer staring at pixel trails for an hour isn't gameplay. The fact that most people watch Netflix or find other things to do while waiting for long SC trips PROVES it's not gameplay, or at the very least it's not good, interesting or desired gameplay. I shouldn't have to find ways to entertain myself while playing a video game. If I have to do something else while the game is deliberately wasting my time, that's bad game design. There is simply no technical reason to have such long SC times. It is by definition a time sink. A totally unnecessary waste of time that serves no purpose but to delay my arrival at the destination. The computer doesn't need that time to calculate/load anything. It's not pre-rendering anything. It's simply an arbitrary count-down timer with no purpose other than to waste my time.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
I've NEVER used SC assist. Even at 2001C some of those secondary solar systems are WAY to far away
Like combat missions you can't beat you have a choice. If it too far then discards. Just like you do with hard combat mission or trade missions you found could take 30 runs to finish. You have a choice. Is it worth it or not. We are not asking for an easy button.

why don't you stop trying to insult me? I have more in game money than I'll ever need. If I started asking "is the credit reward worth the effort?" I'd have stopped playin the game ages ago. That said, it doesn't mean I want to have my time wasted. SC is not gameplay. I don't care how you justify it. sitting at your computer staring at pixel trails for an hour isn't gameplay. The fact that most people watch Netflix or find other things to do while waiting for long SC trips PROVES it's not gameplay, or at the very least it's not good, interesting or desired gameplay. I shouldn't have to find ways to entertain myself while playing a video game. If I have to do something else while the game is deliberately wasting my time, that's bad game design.
Ok if you have all the game money then you ever need. Then looking at a system or station that 600k should be easy to discard. If I can do it in combat you can do it with long-distance stations or planets. Then you can stop complaining about how much you have to watch Netflix. If you start using common sense you would not be watching Netflix. For me I read the mission instead of Click accepts all then whine. I read the mission and view the galaxy map and system map and pick the one suited for me.

Like combat missions you can't beat you have a choice. If it too far then discards. Just like you do with hard combat mission or trade missions you found could take 30 runs to finish. You have a choice. Is it worth it or not. We are not asking for an easy button.

Ok if you have all the game money then you ever need. Then looking at a system or station that 600k should be easy to discard. If I can do it in combat you can do it with long-distance stations or planets. Then you can stop complaining about how much you have to watch Netflix. If you start using common sense you would not be watching Netflix. For me I read the mission instead of Click accepts all then whine. I read the mission and view the galaxy map and system map and pick the one suited for me.

and what would be the point of locking out all this gameplay? How does the game benefit from having far-out planets that get ignored an undiscovered because they're a waste of time?

Don't you get it? there shouldn't be anything in this game that's a "discard". That serves nobody. Gameplay should be entertaining and engaging. There shouldn't be places players ignore because they're not worth it. Frankly, this game can't afford to lose any gameplay to "too boring" it's already pretty thin on content.

............. Wasting an hour of my time in SC is just insulting.

No that is not true. What is insulting is, knowing how the game works, deciding you want to do something that will take time 'cos space is big and F D want to keep some of that sense of vastness - then complaining about it. - Move on.

No that is not true. What is insulting is, knowing how the game works, deciding you want to do something that will take time 'cos space is big and F D want to keep some of that sense of vastness - then complaining about it. - Move on.

ah but you're totally willing to accept it when it comes to jumping between systems? Shouldn't that take WEEKS just to give you that sense of "vastness"? MU-IMMERZHUN!!11!.....but only when I say so! I don't need my time wasted to have a sense of vastness. I guess my brain is a pretty nifty thing and can comprehend these concepts (which are all arbitrary anyway because we're STILL traveling at over 2000x the speed of light which is impossible so what about TEH IMMERZHUN??) without having to have hours of my time needlessly wasted to impress upon me the vastness of a solar system.

Why is it important on a solar system scale, but not on the galactic scale? Why shouldn't it take 10 lifetimes to travel to Alpha Centauri from Earth to get a "sense of vastness"??? why is it only necessary to impress that sense of vastness AFTER I get there and want to travel to Hutton?

Your argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design.

Lestat

Banned
and what would be the point of locking out all this gameplay? How does the game benefit from having far-out planets that get ignored an undiscovered because they're a waste of time?
See not everyone ignores the fact space is BIG.

Don't you get it?[ there shouldn't be anything in this game that's a "discard". That serves nobody.
This game is about choices. Not an I win button. Space is Vast and if you feel something too far that when you discard.

Gameplay should be entertaining and engaging. There shouldn't be places players ignore because they're not worth it. Frankly, this game can't afford to lose any gameplay to "too boring" it's already pretty thin on content.
Then start using common sense instead of complaining. There days I want system close because I don't have that much time. Other days I like the long distance. But for me it comes down to using your brain instead of asking for an I win button.
ah but you're totally willing to accept it when it comes to jumping between systems? Shouldn't that take WEEKS just to give you that sense of "vastness"? MU-IMMERZHUN!!11!.....but only when I say so! I don't need my time wasted to have a sense of vastness. I guess my brain is a pretty nifty thing and can comprehend these concepts (which are all arbitrary anyway because we're STILL traveling at over 2000x the speed of light which is impossible so what about TEH IMMERZHUN??) without having to have hours of my time needlessly wasted to impress upon me the vastness of a solar system.
Then we have you asking for an easy button or teleportation to a location just because you will not use common sense when deciding to go to a location or not. Let not forget you said you have all the credit you need. So that a non-issue. So why can't you visit the other systems?

Why is it important on a solar system scale, but not on the galactic scale? Why shouldn't it take 10 lifetimes to travel to Alpha Centauri from Earth to get a "sense of vastness"??? why is it only necessary to impress that sense of vastness AFTER I get there and want to travel to Hutton?
Let talk about this vastness of space. We have 400,000,000,000 as In Billion of Stars. Some large some small which caters to Both our needs. The skilled players tend to scan the systems and determine if the distance too far or not or if it has what they want or not. If there nothing worth going to or they don't feel like watching Netflix. They jump to the other 399,999,999,999 systems. See this is about choices. Not an I win feature.

Your argument is completely without consistency or logic. You're simply trying to excuse and rationalize bad game design.
Your argument is completely failed. All because you are ignoring other features of the game.

So, 'Suggestions' are not welcome in the 'Suggestions' forum then?

See not everyone ignores the fact space is BIG.
Except those who lack the self-awareness to realise how dumb it is to want space to be big, while at the same time celebrating how quickly they can get to Colonia in 107 jumps in their own signature, right Lestat?

This game is about choices. Not an I win button. Space is Vast and if you feel something too far that when you discard.
Yes, we already know that. It doesn't invalidate the OP's suggestion in any way.

Also, what do we win when we press that button?

But for me it comes down to using your brain instead of asking for an I win button.
What do we win when we press that button?

Then we have you asking for an easy button or teleportation to a location just because you will not use common sense when deciding to go to a location or not.
The OP didn't ask for teleportation to a location any more than hyperspace jumps are teleportation devices to other locations.

Let not forget you said you have all the credit you need. So that a non-issue. So why can't you visit the other systems?
Why should he have to? This game is about choices, remember?

Let talk about this vastness of space. We have 400,000,000,000 as In Billion of Stars. Some large some small which caters to Both our needs. The skilled players tend to scan the systems and determine if the distance too far or not or if it has what they want or not. If there nothing worth going to or they don't feel like watching Netflix. They jump to the other 399,999,999,999 systems. See this is about choices. Not an I win feature.
Yes, we already know that. It doesn't invalidate the OP's suggestion in any way.

Your argument is completely failed. All because you are ignoring other features of the game.
But you wanted him to ignore features of the game, so what's your point here?

Top Bottom