Hyponia Horizon Mission

Was out there for a while Feb/ March, but didn't really see anything. Is cool trying to navigate around the surface of a sphere though!
Seems to have gone quiet, don't think I've seen any friend markers that way recently...

Hello and thanks for the reply :). It is good to hear from someone that went out there. I am glad to hear that you are alive and I hope you are well.

Any idea of what might have happened to the original expedition members?

---

Update:

I am currently in the middle of The Fallows between the Anthor Patch and Hyponia, roughly 3.5 KLy from the eastern-most edge of Hyponia on the Galactic Plane, which will be the starting point of my investigations in this area.

Having heard no response until now from the original mission members I herewith enroll myself on the Hyponia Horizon Mission.

My main role in this mission will be to map the systems in the border region.

Since my exploration trip started in Colonia, investigation of the Hyponia sector will start on the east of that sector.

SystemCharacteristic
HYPONIA ZD-L B24-51Easternmost Hyponia system that is nearest to the Galactic Plane.
HYPONIA ZD-L B24-11So far the easternmost Hyponia system that I could find.
PHA FLAAE JY-F B38-26System that is both closest to the (currently known) easternmost Hyponia system as to the easternmost Hyponia system nearest to the Galactic Plane.
This system will also be the starting point (and the end point) of the Hyponia circumnavigation on the Galactic Plane.

Fly safe,
CMDR Jermus Karlsen

28428x2575.jpg

I have started the circumnavigation of the Hyponia Permit Locked Zone on the Galactic Plane. I am now almost halve-way; I am pleased with the progress I made.

I encountered right after the start today a system of which my Universal Cartographic module reported that it had been First Discovered by one of the original mission members. This seems to indicate that the original mission has been aborted (or finished without further reporting on its progress).

The border systems I have visited so far were all rather unremarkable. Just two things are worth mentioning:

I found a system containing a Gas Giant with (among others) a ternary moon (I don't know how rare they are, I haven't seen one - consciously - before). And I found a ringed ammonia world :).
All three moons from the ternary moon:
28468x1159.jpg

Leaving the third moon:
28469x3183.jpg

Ringed Ammonia World (with in the background its binary Gas Giant companion):
28470x4202.jpg

28471x1629.jpg

Thanks for the update - just discovered this thread earlier today and was much disappointed that the survey posts just fizzled out.

And that picture one post up, in front of the star... maximum awesomeness!

Thanks for the update - just discovered this thread earlier today and was much disappointed that the survey posts just fizzled out.

And that picture one post up, in front of the star... maximum awesomeness!
Thanks!

And I hope to keep the updates coming until the mapping of the border systems of Hyponia has been finished (well not all of them, but at least that you can get a good impression of what the borders of Hyponia are ;)).

- - - Updated - - -

The first circumnavigation is complete. This means that the border of the Hyponia Permit locked sector at the Galactic Plane has now been mapped. Circumnavigation at the +150 Ly level has commenced.

With the data gathered so far it is possible to update the systems furthest north, east, south and west of Hyponia:
SystemCharacteristicEstimated Coordinates
HYPONIA YV-S B47-16Northernmost system of Hyponia-23017.6, -10.3, 24591.8
HYPONIA ZO-F C12-215Easternmost system of Hyponia-22508.1, -15.2, 24081.9
HYPONIA CU-E B12Southernmost system of Hyponia-23011.1, -5.3, 23568.8
HYPONIA CX-K B24-19Westernmost system of Hyponia-23531.7, -7.6, 24090.7

Since my (self-assigned) role in this mission is to map the border systems of Hyponia I do not actively seek to find tourist attractions or remarkable systems, but to break the monotony of mapping these systems I do occasionally try to find distraction on a planet surfaces. Below some pictures of my travels.
I was hoping I could look at the ring of the gas giant, but this view isn't bad either :)
28628x1433.jpg

Taking off again to continue mapping the border systems of Hyponia
28629x1176.jpg

Another Ammonia world
28631x1259.jpg

And here you can actually look at the rings! (picture taken from the moon of the ringed HMC).
28632x3389.jpg

28630x1096.jpg

The expedition is picking up pace. Commander TwoFingers has joined the expedition, and he is literally racing around the lower half of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector, mapping the borders. Not that my progress is bad (the circumnavigation at 150 Ly above the Galactic Plane is complete, circumnavigation at 300 Ly above the Galactic Plane is now 1/4 complete), but TwoFingers' pace is incredible: he has already completed circumnavigation at 150 and 300 Ly below the Galactic Plane in just two days!

I haven't merged the flight logs of the two of us yet, but with the data we gathered so far it is safe to conclude that the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector is a(n almost perfect) sphere.

I had one find that was really interesting (a quite large and bright T-Tauri, the like of which I haven't seen before) and I found another Earth Like World, which isn't bad either :)

Ammonia World
29015x1299.jpg

Another Ammonia World
29016x2044.jpg

Both stars are T-Tauri, the top one (along with his more L-type look-a-like brothers) is quite a common one, the bottom one is the one that got my attention.
29017x1514.jpg

To get a sense of scale (admitted, it's not an O-type super giant, but personally I think this already rather impressive; especially for a T-Tauri):
29018x1015.jpg

29020x1225.jpg

And finally, as stated before, I sometimes just have to drive around to not go crazy:
29022x1504.jpg

29019x1663.jpg

Thank you for continuing this mission CMDR Jermus.
In the Mercury 7 Expedition, we passed close to the Hyponia permit locked sector, but sadly didn't have enough time to really explore that area. You're doing good work, and I wish you every sucess with the continuing expedition.

o7
Yanick

Mission progress is still above expectation :)! Thanks to CMDR TwoFingers the borders of the lower half the of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector have been mapped and I am currently running my two-but-last circle (450 Ly above the Galactic Plane). CMDR TwoFingers is already back home (I guess; the speed at which this commander flies!) and I hope to finish the mission in the coming week.

The original members stated that when "on top" of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector one could see a cluster of stars withing the sector. The same cluster can also be seen when flying along the upper half of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector. The picture I took from the cluster (see below) is taken on the east side of the sphere and 300 Ly above the Galactic Plane.

Below the finds of the last week (in order of finding):
Ammonia World
29428x1609.jpg

Earth Like World
29429x1706.jpg

Ringed ammonia world...
29430x1926.jpg

... as seen from its moon
29434x4149.jpg

Clustered stars in the upper half of he Hyponia Permit Locked Sector
29431x9551.jpg

Lots of Rings...
29435x1141.jpg

... of which one is a Ringed Water World
29433x6167.jpg

Lots of .... rings ... stars ...
29436x1106.jpg

I have started the last circumnavigation!

Boy, did I underestimate this mission! I thought I would have finished the mission by now...

On the south side of the sphere that is the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector I found evidence of the first mission to this sector by the Daedalus Wing. I think this one of the few times when I was really enjoyed to find a system that had already a first discovered by tag; you do not fly every day into a system that has "FIRST DISCOVERED BY ERIMUS" in it :). You have no idea how happy I was to find this evidence. In the first days I found evidence of the original members of the Hyponia Horizon mission. Having found this evidence just completes the picture (and adds spice to my part of the mission).

This week I finished the circumnavigation in the X-Z plane (perpendicular to the galactic plane) and I can now update the table with outermost Hyponia systems:

SystemCharacteristicEstimated Coordinates
HYPONIA YV-S B47-16Northernmost system of Hyponia-23017.6, -10.3, 24591.8
HYPONIA ZO-F C12-215Easternmost system of Hyponia-22508.1, -15.2, 24081.9
HYPONIA CU-E B12Southernmost system of Hyponia-23011.1, -5.3, 23568.8
HYPONIA CX-K B24-19Westernmost system of Hyponia-23531.7, -7.6, 24090.7
HYPONIA DW-P B24-3Highest system of Hyponia-22999.3, 501.4, 24084.3
HYPONIA RI-B C13-53Lowest system of Hyponia-23021.2,-521.3,24103.5

I am now completing the circumnavigation in the Y-Z plane (also perpendicular to the galactic plane).

For the coming week I do think it is safe to say that I will have finished this mission in the coming week.

Nice looking HMC with big oceans, and despite of that still not a TFC
29793x4768.jpg

Evidence of the first mission to Hyponia: The Daedalus Wing (flown by CMDRs Erimus and Zenika):
29794x4861.jpg

And look: another well-known explorer has visited the area too:
29795x5049.jpg
29792x1150.jpg

Mission Accomplished!!!

Well ..., as they say ..., it ain't over till the fat lady sings.... And the fat lady only sings for a wad of cash, which is what I will have if I manage to hand in the data before being shot out of space :). This means that the next thing I will be doing is buckyballing back to Colonia to sell my exploration data.

But for now I will be able to share the basic result of this mission: the outline of the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector!

7NmzJVk.png

Boy! Am I glad that this is over :) And did I underestimate the effort it requires to be able to make such a (seemingly) simple picture! I am really grateful to CMDR TwoFingers for the assistance, it safes me the trouble of having to circumnavigate the lower half of the sphere. I sure do hope the Elite Dangerous Mapping Project is happy with the results...

I did found in the last week one really interesting system, which I probably will propose as a minor POI for EDSM once I managed to hand in the data. It is a system in which all planets are ringed, and where one ringed gas giant has a landfall moon with an orbital inclination of 76.98 degrees, giving a very nice view on the rings!

And a special mention should go to CMDR DOCRAISE. He has explored a large amount of systems around the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector. The blob on the top of the sphere that is the Hyponia Permit Locked Sector is completely discovered by this commander!

Honorary Mention
29966x1361.jpg

Ringed System
29968x1512.jpg

Viewing the Rings (1)
29969x1927.jpg

Viewing the Rings (2)
29970x2013.jpg

Ammonia World
29971x2813.jpg

Ammonia World
29972x1595.jpg

29973x2327.jpg

Nice job, Jermus!
We are constantly watching what happens next in Hyponia. Like you, our attempt to find anything unusual did not succeed. I think all this will be in the future.
But now we can only watch. We do the same thing with the Froadik region. Also nothing unusual.

Thank you! To hear that from one of the original mission members means a lot to me :). Glad to hear that you are still alive and well and still "on it". I wonder when these regions will open up and even more what will come out of it!

Thank you! To hear that from one of the original mission members means a lot to me :). Glad to hear that you are still alive and well and still "on it". I wonder when these regions will open up and even more what will come out of it!

Of course, we're here. Just now we are doing other things.

I made roughly 200 million credits on the Hyponia Horizon Mission :)

Now what to do next...

There is not much going on around here. Although, ... I met this guy over at Colonia Dream... Brian he was called I think..? Seemed like a nice guy to me.

Found a nice earth like with a moon on the way back

30590x2043.jpg

Top Bottom