I am Ordering my Carrier Decomissioned.

Why go through the trouble of decommissioning your carrier if you're not playing anyway? Just let the "timer" run out on its own, and in the meantime it can remain in game as a monument to you. Fleet carriers are the tombstones of many an Elite player these days I think.

Hey, that just gave me an idea! All of us who are taking a break (for however long) should move our carriers to Tionisla! If Frontier won't give us a proper graveyard, we'll make our own :D

What do you think, @drew ?

UPDATE - My memorial is now in Tionisla!
It's the only way the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard will get created I suspect!

Cheers,

Drew.

Well. That is way more Response than I Expected.

It's very much possible to limit the grind and still have fun playing the game.

I dont think so.
Because dont get me wrong. I played alot of Grindy Games.
But they had something Fun to Grind for.
In ED its Grind for more Grind. There just is nothing else but Grind.

Thank you for your heads-up mate. Me wonders if the OP ground himself into the floor, by grinding for a carrier...? Seems like a shoot yourself in the foot move, but gives more stuphz opportunity so I can't complain really!

So, Mr OP, duz you have any stuphz worf hazzing please?

Nah. Grinding for the Carrier was actually pretty easy.
I Still remember how I grinded for the Anaconda when the Game just came out.
That was way more work than Grinding for the Carrier last Year.

To begin with. Its not so much the Grind itself that bothers me.
Its that there is nothing else.

I usually Play Games where you have Fun Playing the Game with your Friends. And in between Grind to raise your Level/Equipment and gain Money and Ressources.
But in ED that "have Fun Playing the Game with your Friends" part is missing.
You only Grind. There is only very little to do but Grind.
Worse. In other Games you can Grind to then spare yourself Grinding in the Future.
But even that isnt the case here. Because anytime something new comes around. The Next Grind is a different entirely unrelated thing....

Dude, your carrier doesn’t pay for itself? Lol, just manage it better; it can pay for itself.

Carriers do not Pay for themselves.
For them to Pay for themselves you need to actually Log in and do something with them.
Which means you have to actually Play for them to Earn Money.

Thats basicly what I did for the last 6 Months.
I logged in once every 1-2 Months. Quickly made a few hundred Million with the Carrier and then Logged off again.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine why I would write 808 words if I stopped playing.

Its called Venting.
Instead of just Silently taking that Frustration along with me on my way out. I want to complain about it here and leave that Frustration here on FDs Forum so I feel better.

Technically, every game loop is a grind, it just all depends on how fun and engaging it is.

look at a simple game as minecraft.
You want good gear? Diamonds and Netherite? You have to go mining deep down. All you do is mine in a straight line for some time, then repeat again and again until you got the stuff you wanted.
Simple game loop. Are people enjoying it? Apparently so.

Mats gathering in Elite? find site, collect, log off, log on, collect, repeat. Not very engaging or fun.

I'm playing Valheim, checking mountains for Golems because I need some crystals. Is it a game loop? Sort of. Find golem, kill, loot, repeat. Is it fun? Yep. Do I mind doing it? Nope, because it's not driving me insane.

I love mining in Elite, it's mind numbing as Foxtrott, no skill required, and I usually just watch movies. The game wouldn't even need good graphics for this, let alone "emergent gameplay". Let's face it, things are talked up and polished so it sells. Nothing emergent here.
Want to make mining interesting? Have rocks disintegrate after getting mined empty. not broken up, grind to dust (easy to implement), respawn in 2 hours or whatever, or at the weekly maintenance.
But hey, we can't tell Fdev how to design the game. We all have great ideas, sadly not many (read none) can or will ever be taken on board.

No.

There is Games that have almost no Grind at all to be honest.
Pirates of the Brunign Sea for example. Could be leveled to Max level without any Grind. Because you could follow the Main Quest Line which went all the Way through.
And that Questline constantly gave you some Story and Entertainment as well as also making sure your Activities actually changed between the Quests etc.

The same is True for Dark Souls for example.
You actually dont need to Grind there.
You can Grind to get higher Level etc. But its not a Requirement and its not Part of the Game Loop :)

Grind can be Part of the Game Loop of course.
Many Games have a certain Interchange between Grind and Progress.
So they have some Lore Quests and Interesting New Gameplay where they keep you Entertained.
And then follow it with a Block of Grinding to Unlock the Next Part.

But ED doesnt have that.
ED has only Grind.
There is nearly nothing else.

Wow. It's a loss FD can't keep you. The sun is bright outside - stay cool and enjoy the free air !

I dislike the Sun despite my Name.
So I.ll just go for a different Game.

Frustration, rage, anger, and nobody to share/vent it with.

OP has been parts of the community for a very long time. While this self-obsessed attention seeking drama is regrettable, it is still sad to see people feel that way.

Frankly I dont care so much about the Attention. Just wanted to Vent my Frustration.
I actually didnt Expect this much response anyways.
I expected there to be maybe 1 at best 2 pages of people saying "Good Luck on your Way" or "Yeah there is the Door we wont Miss ya Bye" ^^
So getting 6 Pages of People Arguing about it is way more than I Expected to happen lol

My Reasoning for this Topic is quite Simple really.

My Frustration is caused by FDs Incompetence in actually using the Potential I saw in this Game.
So I decided to Vent my Frustration on their Forums.

ED has only Grind.
I can assure you that this is untrue. There certainly is grind if you choose to do it. But I never grind in any game I play, and I enjoy playing ED.
It's a niche game though; I don't expect everyone to enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it, it's best not to waste your time on it.

I can assure you that this is untrue. There certainly is grind if you choose to do it. But I never grind in any game I play, and I enjoy playing ED.
It's a niche game though; I don't expect everyone to enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it, it's best not to waste your time on it.
There is grind in many games. Often it is tied to overreliance on RNG.
Example: After restarting 5 worlds in Valheim I've jinda had it with the mission critical requirements. First the iron just dint spawn enough. Now I'm having pain finding a proper mountain biome.
ED is overreliant on RNG too. Procgen easily is.

There is grind in many games. Often it is tied to overreliance on RNG.
Example: After restarting 5 worlds in Valheim I've jinda had it with the mission critical requirements. First the iron just dint spawn enough. Now I'm having pain finding a proper mountain biome.
ED is overreliant on RNG too. Procgen easily is.
I don't know... Exploration is a compelling part of the game-play of Valheim for me. ED:HBO doesn't have that much exploration in it once you get the Elite rank and can buy most everything you want. Don't get me wrong; I like wandering around the galaxy and visiting different places in this game, but I wouldn't really call it exploration so much, with some rare exceptions here and there.

For me, if the player meta is contextually apt and compelling in a game, I don't see it so much as "grind" as "game-play," if that makes sense. But anyway, yes, both games do have elements of grind in them by design.

Disclaimer: I haven't done much Engineering at all, but I suppose that has an element of exploration as well (assuming you don't use third party sites and the like), finding the things you need to grind... :p

Cheers.

Last edited:
I blame the forum
We got what the forum wanted, personal carriers which cost loads to keep.

If they had remained a squardon asset, and all members could contribute money and transfer n store stuff to it..... of course performed a squardon role while boosting inf for bgs when in a system........ they could be cool.
But no, we got personal things which don't generate money with npcs

I don't know... Exploration is a compelling part of the game-play of Valheim for me. ED:HBO doesn't have that much exploration in it once you get the Elite rank and can buy most everything you want. Don't get me wrong; I like wandering around the galaxy and visiting different places in this game, but I wouldn't really call it exploration so much, with some rare exceptions here and there.

For me, if the player meta is contextually apt and compelling in a game, I don't see it so much as "grind" as "game-play," if that makes sense. But anyway, yes, both games do have elements of grind in them by design.

Disclaimer: I haven't done much Engineering at all, but I suppose that has an element of exploration as well (assuming you don't use third party sites and the like), finding the things you need to grind... :p

Cheers.
I rather play Valheim. At least I can tell where I potentially find things since there are tells. Is just if the Biomes generate too small there isn't enough room for them to spawn.

There is Games that have almost no Grind at all to be honest.
Pirates of the Brunign Sea for example. Could be leveled to Max level without any Grind. Because you could follow the Main Quest Line which went all the Way through.
And that Questline constantly gave you some Story and Entertainment as well as also making sure your Activities actually changed between the Quests etc.

The same is True for Dark Souls for example.
You actually dont need to Grind there.
You can Grind to get higher Level etc. But its not a Requirement and its not Part of the Game Loop :)

Grind can be Part of the Game Loop of course.
Many Games have a certain Interchange between Grind and Progress.
So they have some Lore Quests and Interesting New Gameplay where they keep you Entertained.
And then follow it with a Block of Grinding to Unlock the Next Part.

But ED doesnt have that.
ED has only Grind.
There is nearly nothing else.
Never played any of those games, so I can't tell.
But a quest line that leads you somewhere, gets you started in the game, even as part of a tutorial is always a nice thing.
I recently started an account for my son. Fresh pilot, I got him out of the starter zone to my carrier so he can come and fly with me.
Starting zone gave one data mission with lots of text wall, plus 10k Credits.
Personally, nothing to be enthused about, especially not when starting a new game, the LAST thing I want to do is to read 2 pages of blah blah, that doesn't really tell me anything useful or important.

The activities that vary are the game loops, like in any MMO, Kill 20 of this, loot 10 of that (Still hate the raptor head quest in the barrens, if you played WoW! What raptor has no head?), fetch this, talk to that. Game loops.
one obviously progresses as one gains XP, get higher levels, better spells/attacks, does more damage, etc.

And yes, I agree with the unlocking next bits after some gameplay, which might be grind or not.
I know it's blaze your own trail etc, but that's just saying "we have no idea what's a good mission, make up your own stuff!".
That's what results in the grind.

I think a nice amount of creativity would go a long way to break this vicious mark of the grind. But one can ask only for so much.
I mean, the community has posted hundreds and thousands of ideas. Not like one would be short on supply.

But as long as the logon/off is a dev approved game loop, I guess it's fine?

Well. That is way more Response than I Expected.

I dont think so.
Because dont get me wrong. I played alot of Grindy Games.
But they had something Fun to Grind for.
In ED its Grind for more Grind. There just is nothing else but Grind.

You're right, the grind is rather boring, but only if you allow it to.
Bored with collecting materials? Go do some bounty hunting, or exploring. There's no need to rush, the game will be there tomorrow.

Just sounds like you're burnt out, take a break, play something else. No shame in it, if you ever get the urge to play again, come back, if not, the world won't end.

Currently I am Ordering my Carrier to be Scrapped.
In the End. All it does is costing Money.

And mine has paid itself off already and then some, and it's using that money to keep itself a float while I'm taking a break off elite.
IDK why you bought yours, mine was for a group of players and we usually go do stuff together with it (until all of em stopped playing due to odyssey).
They'd refill it and "donate" cargo to it as well as use it as their mobile home, only drawback was not being able to give admin powers to some of them so they can move it around without me being present.

As for grind, pre-odyssey engineer mats only issue imo is the mat trader having very bad trade rates. Ship engineering is an entry level to other activities (eg. thargoids, pvp, more distant systems to explore, etc.) so it makes sense somewhat.
Odyssey engineering however, I can't argue, it's pointless. Because, at the moment, it's useless. Grind for stronger rifle to have an easier time grinding. It's not an entry level to anything, it doesn't contribute to anything, it doesn't change much in your day to day game play. Maaaaybe just for ground pvp, but I mean with fdev instancing, you're really better off playing literally any other pvp focused game.

The only reason why majority of our group stopped playing at odyssey was instancing issues, no matter what we did, we couldn't get all of us in the same instance on ground, which caused a lot of frustration and one by one just started playing other stuff.

Top Bottom