I are a Noob - welcome meh!

There's about just as many ways to do Engineers as there are folks around. If you want to grind him, you'll have to grind materials (don't know which ones, as he doesn't sound like an Engineer I've met) and let him do modifications on your ship. And since I don't like grinding, at least not for long (one reason why I have two accounts, and have to forcibly restrain myself from buying a third), that's not the way I'd do it.

I have met Blaster Pants McGavin! I gave him some bounties! Now I think I have to buy a vehicle hangar for my Viper, go to a planet and pew myself some sulphur! Gonna try a quick courier run just to see what the benefits are like, but should I stick with BlasterPants McGavin for now? Just use his system as a base for a few missions and grind him? Is that how folks do engineers?
Well I usually collect over the time whatever materials I happen to see, and come around. Then I check out what I need for certain module, visit material trader to do some trading, if I then have enough, I go to engineer. Sometimes I do some grinding if I want stuff badly enough.

Cool - I'll maybe just ignore the engineers for a while. If they were closer together I might make a crib card of what they each want, but they're so far apart right now it's like I'd just be playing the Engineer Space Sim!

I have met Blaster Pants McGavin! I gave him some bounties! Now I think I have to buy a vehicle hangar for my Viper, go to a planet and pew myself some sulphur! Gonna try a quick courier run just to see what the benefits are like, but should I stick with BlasterPants McGavin for now? Just use his system as a base for a few missions and grind him? Is that how folks do engineers?
Not really. Engineering stations have limited facilities and all you can do there is repair your ship, refuel and maybe restock. They don’t offer missions.* What you need to pay for the upgrades are Materials (both types raw like sulphur and manufactured like Heat Vanes). You sometimes need data scans. All these components are found by exploring moons, picking up manufactured components from missions or scavenging them from ships you have shot at in combat. You get the data scans by scanning some ships. All of the materials can be traded between themselves at a Material trader. Yes there are three different types of trader so check before you travel.

As for the Viper I can’t help as it is so long since I flew one I’ve forgotten their loadout. One thing though, the Viper is great for low level flying in canyons. It is fast and it bounces well. ;)

* You will find a fully operational station close by to buy the things you can’t get at the Engineer.

Cool - I'll maybe just ignore the engineers for a while. If they were closer together I might make a crib card of what they each want, but they're so far apart right now it's like I'd just be playing the Engineer Space Sim!
Engineer you FSD to get a much improved jump distance.

Top Bottom