I are a Noob - welcome meh!

I just did the "flying and docking" training mission. After zooming past the station I'm supposed to be docking with, then manually dropping out of FSD (wasn't checking distance and speed bars were in the blue) I realised that I'd accidentally locked a completely different body in the system...

Looking forward to getting to grips with this then seeing what kind of exploration fun I can have. It looks very pretty!

Great resource for new pilots here :

Nice! Thanks! I am reminded of the Eve line - don't fly what you can't afford to lose...

Even the noob ship?

Not applicable to the tutorials, once you go live if you explode you need "rebuy" to get your ship plus equipment back. The starter sidewinder is free, but you'll replace that and the bits in it soon.

If you look in the internal panel (button 4 on pc) it shows you your ships stats and internals under your pilot details it'll say rebuy and give a number. That number is how much space-money you need to get the ship back.

Always keep a few rebuys in your account so you don't lose progress, there is a loan you can get but its limited so don't rely on it.

Not applicable to the tutorials, once you go live if you explode you need "rebuy" to get your ship plus equipment back. The starter sidewinder is free, but you'll replace that and the bits in it soon.

If you look in the internal panel (button 4 on pc) it shows you your ships stats and internals under your pilot details it'll say rebuy and give a number. That number is how much space-money you need to get the ship back.

Always keep a few rebuys in your account so you don't lose progress, there is a loan you can get but its limited so don't rely on it.
Legend sir, thanks for the pointers! Also, loving the Space 1999 Alan Carter piccy! (y)

I just started playing a few days ago. Tried to explore a little and got overwhelmed by a few empty systems. I've been searching for a squadron to join that's n00b friendly or some new players to learn along with me.
How long did you spend doing the basics before heading off into the big black? Have you pimped your ship for exploration?

Ha! I did the in game basic training, then turned around and tried to target and scan the station i'd just left, accidentally opened fire and they blew me up. So...i started over. I then did some of the advanced training and got frustrated with the 1v3 dog fight and gave up. I've upgraded fuel capacity and added a fuel scoop and cargo scoop. I'm still in the sidewinder exploring a little, got pretty far out, found a system with a few stations. what about you?

I just grabbed my first ever couple of bounties, but then I warped out of the system I was in so can't figure out where I was or where I need to go to cash them in!

I just grabbed my first ever couple of bounties, but then I warped out of the system I was in so can't figure out where I was or where I need to go to cash them in!
Open the Galaxy Map, it shows your last few hyperspace jumps with a dotted line. Unless you have logged out in the meantime.

Oo! Thanks! Wolfsegen here I come!

EDIT: That was a terrible idea, all it had was a prison! Got me looking in the right place though and now I'm looking at a Viper mark III...

Try following the space police around at a nav beacon, wait until they've almost killed a pirate then land the last few shots and steal the kill. Easy money for the early game.

Be careful of the cops with friendly fire they'll turn on you if you hit them.

I just started playing a few days ago. Tried to explore a little and got overwhelmed by a few empty systems. I've been searching for a squadron to join that's n00b friendly or some new players to learn along with me.
There is very very much of big empty black to explore, mind boggling amount. Get a proper explorer ship and there is lifetimes worth of exploring waiting. Though most of it is just well chaff of galaxy, M class dwarf and some pebbles of ice....

Welcome all.

Do use the tutorials - especially the docking/undocking ones - use them to learn about what happens in a "no fire zone" if you do!
One skill that's going to be useful is to practice docking from 10km away from the entrance - at full speed, just killing the thrusters at the entrance. That lets you avoid a system vessel scan - smuggling prohibited goods or passengers who don't want to be scanned.
If you get the chance, fuel scoop and planet landings are good too.
At least you get a free debug in the tutorials.

I'd suggest you start your piloting in Solo mode, or join a group where PvP isn't encouraged - there's a number of experienced pilot's who hang around popular destination and seal-club.

Before you head out exploring, take a little time to be familiar with jump ranges of different letter grades of fsd. It's frustrating when your plotted route to a nearby star turns out to have 15 jumps (range decreases with the mass of the ship's equipment & cargo.

Top Bottom