I are a Noob - welcome meh!

There's about just as many ways to do Engineers as there are folks around. If you want to grind him, you'll have to grind materials (don't know which ones, as he doesn't sound like an Engineer I've met) and let him do modifications on your ship. And since I don't like grinding, at least not for long (one reason why I have two accounts, and have to forcibly restrain myself from buying a third), that's not the way I'd do it.

I have met Blaster Pants McGavin! I gave him some bounties! Now I think I have to buy a vehicle hangar for my Viper, go to a planet and pew myself some sulphur! Gonna try a quick courier run just to see what the benefits are like, but should I stick with BlasterPants McGavin for now? Just use his system as a base for a few missions and grind him? Is that how folks do engineers?
Well I usually collect over the time whatever materials I happen to see, and come around. Then I check out what I need for certain module, visit material trader to do some trading, if I then have enough, I go to engineer. Sometimes I do some grinding if I want stuff badly enough.

Cool - I'll maybe just ignore the engineers for a while. If they were closer together I might make a crib card of what they each want, but they're so far apart right now it's like I'd just be playing the Engineer Space Sim!

I have met Blaster Pants McGavin! I gave him some bounties! Now I think I have to buy a vehicle hangar for my Viper, go to a planet and pew myself some sulphur! Gonna try a quick courier run just to see what the benefits are like, but should I stick with BlasterPants McGavin for now? Just use his system as a base for a few missions and grind him? Is that how folks do engineers?
Not really. Engineering stations have limited facilities and all you can do there is repair your ship, refuel and maybe restock. They don’t offer missions.* What you need to pay for the upgrades are Materials (both types raw like sulphur and manufactured like Heat Vanes). You sometimes need data scans. All these components are found by exploring moons, picking up manufactured components from missions or scavenging them from ships you have shot at in combat. You get the data scans by scanning some ships. All of the materials can be traded between themselves at a Material trader. Yes there are three different types of trader so check before you travel.

As for the Viper I can’t help as it is so long since I flew one I’ve forgotten their loadout. One thing though, the Viper is great for low level flying in canyons. It is fast and it bounces well. ;)

* You will find a fully operational station close by to buy the things you can’t get at the Engineer.

Cool - I'll maybe just ignore the engineers for a while. If they were closer together I might make a crib card of what they each want, but they're so far apart right now it's like I'd just be playing the Engineer Space Sim!

Engineer you FSD to get a much improved jump distance.

EDIT: Got it - blue lines around it on the system map says yes I can land (y)

Think I'm getting there with the basics now CMDR's, thanks for the support. Quick query though - can you land on every planet? Wanted to land on a high metal planet and grab some bits for Engineer work but the ship refuses to enter orbital, just drops out of FSD (Dropping Too Close every time) and sits there. I've logged out and back in to make sure I haven't pressed play on vanilla Elite and I'm definitely on Horizons...

Last edited:
At this point only planets without any atmosphere are landable. Other hint, better check what is local gravity, you CAN land on high gravity planets, trying soft landing is kind of tricky. And some 9g monster can truly ruin your day if you are not carefull.

EDIT: Got it - blue lines around it on the system map says yes I can land (y)

Think I'm getting there with the basics now CMDR's, thanks for the support. Quick query though - can you land on every planet? Wanted to land on a high metal planet and grab some bits for Engineer work but the ship refuses to enter orbital, just drops out of FSD (Dropping Too Close every time) and sits there. I've logged out and back in to make sure I haven't pressed play on vanilla Elite and I'm definitely on Horizons...

In the system map the land-able planets have a blue circle around them. 👨‍🚀

To add to the confusion - there is a class of planets ("yellow peas") with a 0.00 atmospheres Sulfur Dioxide atmosphere. Pressureless, but classed as atmospheric, so non-landable :mad:.
There are also a few (single figure, but some prominent examples, like Earth's Moon) planets that are truly atmosphereless but, for lore or practical reasons, declared unlandable (currently requiring an unobtainable permit). Those have a red ring.

To add to the confusion - there is a class of planets ("yellow peas") with a 0.00 atmospheres Sulfur Dioxide atmosphere. Pressureless, but classed as atmospheric, so non-landable :mad:.
There are also a few (single figure, but some prominent examples, like Earth's Moon) planets that are truly atmosphereless but, for lore or practical reasons, declared unlandable (currently requiring an unobtainable permit). Those have a red ring.

Twinkle, twinkle Yellow Pea.
How I wonder what ye be?

New ship build!

The recommendation seems to be that I get a 6A fuel scoop, but a 6B costs almost 21 million less. I'm happy with the ship build right up until this point and have 33 mill in the bank so that 6A significantly alters the ship cost for me!

At this point, surely the 6B is workable for some long range exploration? I'm enjoying the view, not really sprinting from system to system.

Advice and suggestions gladly received...

The 6B should be good enough. The only real difference is in time spent refuelling. With an A class you have a better chance of not having to come to a dead stop as you refuel. You skim the star as close as is comfortable. Better take heat sinks they can come in handy

Guys, ok, so I wasn't expecting this - logged in on a planet I'd almost forgotten what I was doing on. Gathered some random bits from a bio site I'd landed on, took off and figured it was about time I headed back to cash in my little "few day trip" to see what monies I'd get for it. Realised I was actually quite close to a Nebula so might as well pop in to see what it's like and just to say I've been there. Looking at the galaxy map to find an interesting star, click on something low and on the far side and what do you know - it's only named after a famous Astronaut! I had no idea this was here until I clicked on "random star"! Anything else I can see around here?
Gordon Cooper.jpg

Oh, you're out in the Orion Nebula. There's tons of interesting things to see out that way!

There was an expedition that passed through there recently - you could check out some of the waypoints in the early legs for ideas. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/celebration-of-early-astronomy-expedition.515062/

You don't have to go far to turn in your exploration data, either. You're right next door to the Orion Nebula Science Center (a very scenic asteroid base, if you haven't seen it), or you could head over to the Witch Head Nebula and have your pick from lots of stations in those systems.

Any chance of a little pointer here please? I've just managed to poke a route into the Sanguineous Rim, but there are loads of routes blocked to me due to needing a permit. Is it possible to get a permit out here somewhere? Any idea where I'd get such a thing? Pretty sure selling my cartography will buy me some standing but not where I should be looking?
Screenshot_0060.jpg

Any chance of a little pointer here please? I've just managed to poke a route into the Sanguineous Rim, but there are loads of routes blocked to me due to needing a permit. Is it possible to get a permit out here somewhere? Any idea where I'd get such a thing? Pretty sure selling my cartography will buy me some standing but not where I should be looking?
View attachment 164382
The 'unknown permit'?
AFAIK is isn't obtainable. Yet. Hope the means will come available and will be discovered, eventually.

Top Bottom