I bit the bullet and ordered my Rift!

I'd heard so much from several friends about how 'mazin' it is to use an Oculus Rift to fly Elite that today, I looked at my bank balance and thought "Christmas prezzie for Commander Bog!"

I'm horribly, lunatically excited.

Imagine a six-foot five inch bearded redhead going "Squeeeee!" and doing squee-hands-clapping.

That's me, that is. :D

I used my friends rift and it literally left me speechless, it's unlike anything I've experienced. I would by on myself If it wasn't so blurry and It made me sick, especially the galaxy map! Made me feel like I was falling. I wonder if anyone else has the same experience or if they got use to it and pressed on.

You won't regret it and nothing really compares. Even having projectors and 3x60in screens cannot come close to the Rift. It's entirely a unique experience.

Re: motion sickness you can train yourself to adapt to motion sickness. Pilots both military and commercial have been doing it for decades. The same for sailors. And it's successful as there are very few discharges due to medical reasons for motion sickness.

The question is can you deal with that initial uncomfortableness when your body is trying to adapt?

Say goodbye to life as you know it! :D

One gets "used" to the DK2 in time. For me, I can't imagine playing any other way. I can read the text just fine and I got "used" to the lower resolution real quickly. The positives easily outweigh the negatives for me.

You won't regret it and nothing really compares. Even having projectors and 3x60in screens cannot come close to the Rift. It's entirely a unique experience.

Re: motion sickness you can train yourself to adapt to motion sickness. Pilots both military and commercial have been doing it for decades. The same for sailors. And it's successful as there are very few discharges due to medical reasons for motion sickness.

The question is can you deal with that initial uncomfortableness when your body is trying to adapt?

I thought that could be a possibility, but I don't own the rift myself so I wasn't able to adapt yet. Best experience with the rift is when my eyes stay locked onto the target even as he fly's feet above my ship. without the rift your forced to look dead ahead while maneuvering (when using a mouse that is).

Say goodbye to life as you know it! :D

One gets "used" to the DK2 in time. For me, I can't imagine playing any other way. I can read the text just fine and I got "used" to the lower resolution real quickly. The positives easily outweigh the negatives for me.

for the short time i used the rift I could barely read some of the on board texts. I had to look in a specific direction for it to clear up. Was this something I could fix? do you have a similar problem? because this is the only real reason I don't purchase the rift myself.

for the short time i used the rift I could barely read some of the on board texts. I had to look in a specific direction for it to clear up. Was this something I could fix? do you have a similar problem? because this is the only real reason I don't purchase the rift myself.

You were using a friend's Rift or trying one out?

The problem with the Rift is that it's very quirky to it's owner. It comes with 2 different lenses, A and B, B is for those with nearsightedness. Then the software also takes into account your height but the main factor is your IPD. Believe it or not but all those do contribute to a better Rift experience.

If eveything is blurry then you might need the B lens. If it's still unfocused you'll need to adjust the IPD to match yours.

You can't just strap on the Rift and expect it to work for you if it's been configured for somebody else.

You can configure the rift to your personal settings in game and out. It's never crystal clear but, it is readable. You can also lean towards the text to make it bigger. A "trick" I use sometimes is to lean back, reset center for the rift, then go back to my normal position. It essentially brings my normal position closer to the "screens" so text is bigger.

No matter what text in the DK2 with ED is only going to be "so good" as it is right now. On solution on FD's part may be making the screens slightly bigger in DK2, since there's a lot of room to do so in OR.

I'll be coming to the Rift from a 4K panel, so this is going to be... interesting....

It's a trade off IMO, super high resolution vs. total immerssion. I'm an "escapist" so I like the immersion, personally.

Once they have 4k VR screens or better and affordable hardware to run it, there'll be no going back for most of us I think.

I'd heard so much from several friends about how 'mazin' it is to use an Oculus Rift to fly Elite that today, I looked at my bank balance and thought "Christmas prezzie for Commander Bog!"

I'm horribly, lunatically excited.

Imagine a six-foot five inch bearded redhead going "Squeeeee!" and doing squee-hands-clapping.

That's me, that is. :D

I got to use one for 3 days and it was amazing. Not so much that I would get the Dev version (rez is way too low), but I will order the CV1 as soon as I can.

I really want to get one but.... cigarettes and ashtrays, glasses of wine (and refilling them), and cups of tea and biscuits. All the essential accoutrements of a successful Commander. Surely the Rift would play havoc with this?

I really want to get one but.... cigarettes and ashtrays, glasses of wine (and refilling them), and cups of tea and biscuits. All the essential accoutrements of a successful Commander. Surely the Rift would play havoc with this?

If you can't get your wine to your lips with your eyes closed, then what kind of Starship Commander are you? For shame! ;)

You can do all that while you look at your holiday photos, but its not like being on holiday, is it?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Must be pretty uncomfortable after a few hours or so.
Can't imagine ever playing ED with such a shoe box on my nose. Sry but this looks ridiculous.

The rift is well ventilated and very comfortable - much more so than a dive mask that needs an airtight seal. The experience is so full on that taking a break after a few hours is no bad thing.

Must be pretty uncomfortable after a few hours or so.
Can't imagine ever playing ED with such a shoe box on my nose. Sry but this looks ridiculous.

I can use the rift with ED for several hours on end. The weight isnt that much of a problem.
And because ED is a sitting experience you dont get nauseaus that much. It does sometimes happen in dogfights between asteroids.

Beware the rift dk2 is still to low resolution to satisfy the graphics over gameplay players.

As to your shoe box on the head: I dont know how the aesthetics of the rift (still developer vesion) influence the gameplay/rift experience.
Because in my opinion it doesnt really.

Top Bottom