I bit the bullet and ordered my Rift!

well CV1 will sport 1440p screen. That is barely 33% better res. Not enough a jump. Way things are, you would need to double the res to mitigate screendoor effect and general "I can see each an every single RGB diode" effect.

I am very happy with DK2 outside the res thing, if they would make 4k display, then update will be in order, but not before that. (that is unless optics would be changed so it would utilize more than (3cm)^2 in the middle of the screen :/)

AFAIK the pixel density of 1440P is double that of 1080p

this is huge.

Everyone I spoke to who tried crescent bay (if only i was one of them) said that the resolution was HUGELY better over the DK2. Sure a 4k screen would be nice (not to play at, very few would have a capable pc for 4k vr) but imo that will come in CV2 which is probably going to be 2 years or so away.

AFAIK the pixel density of 1440P is double that of 1080p
"1080p" for the DK2 is 1920x1080, and for the DK2 that means 960x1080 per eye, or 1,036,800 pixels.

If the consumer version is "1440p," then at the same aspect ratio as the DK2 its resolution will be 2560x1440, or 1280x1440 per eye, or 1,843,200 pixels.

It's a PPI increase of about 56%, which is non-trivial, but it's not double. Still, exactly as you point out, folks who have spent hands-on time with newer Oculus prototypes reports an amazing experience, and raw resolution isn't the only factor at play to determine how good a head-mounted display looks.

I couldn't possibly hold my beans long enough to wait for a consumer release of the Rift (and who knows how long that'll be)- I certainly play exclusively in the Rift now that I have a DK2. I knew I had to have one since Frontier demoed a DK1 with Alpha 3 last March that I tried out!

Even though I bought a 3D screen setup in the mean time waiting for my DK2 (which Frontier were also demoing ED on in March), the Rift is simply on another level of immersion (despite the resolution compromise that I can live with). I don't care that my DK2 will be obsolete once there is a consumer release, I'll just throw my money at OculusVR again- the experience is seriously that good.

The costs to support ED (new PSU to support 2 x new SLI'd GPUs), plus a Saitek X52 and of course being in the Alpha to started with has cost me a fortune, but so so worth it!

Sorry just double-checking, do you mean a 970 will easily be good enough with DK2? That's the part I'm worried about.

I tried out a DK2 at a friends, and his single GTX 980 never went below 75fps (that I noticed) either in E: D or any of the other stuff we ran. I'm intending to run a DK2 from a single GTX 760 (4GB) and see how it goes, if it starts to struggle I'll be setting money aside for a 980 (or whatever the equivalent is at the time).

From a resolution perspective, the DK2 runs at 960x1080 per eye (1920x1080 combined), so it will be running a little slower than your flat panel does at 1080p; it's the same number of pixels but a little more image processing is required. If you get a smooth 60+fps right now at 1080p, you should be pretty good for the DK2.

Regarding people having a blurry experience, I initially left my glasses off and could not read the text, having assumed that being shortsighted would be fine for a HMD sat a few inches from my eyes. Then I adjusted the set around to find a comfortable head position, and noticed that the lenses have a specific sweet spot; if you wear your glasses (or contacts) and move the set around until you get the sweet spot, everything swims into focus and the menus become perfectly readable.

Prior to discovering that I was not going to get one, because the visual fidelity wasn't good enough to justify the cost to me. After discovering that, I have one on order :)

I'll be coming to the Rift from a 4K panel, so this is going to be... interesting....

I alternate between 2560 x 1440 and the Rift. The former is useful when you really want to be able to read everything properly, which is especially useful to see what has been added in this release. The Rift is just awesome for the sheer sense of scale. I don't think I'll ever tire of docking and undocking with the Rift!

Last edited:
I just can't get my Rift to work, the image that is displayed when ED is launched are rotated at 90 degrees, so far no one has been able to explain why, if your really tech savvy then take the risk but mine's sat like a 472 dollar bit junk right now.

I just can't get my Rift to work, the image that is displayed when ED is launched are rotated at 90 degrees, so far no one has been able to explain why, if your really tech savvy then take the risk but mine's sat like a 472 dollar bit junk right now.

You need to change the orientation of the rift screen to portrait.

Holy crap. Mine literally arrived 5 seconds ago! As I said I got an email earlier in the week saying it was ready to ship, but nothing saying it HAD shipped...

And I was supposed to work this weekend.

This morning I spent like 700+$ for new hotas, Oculus + Elite.. I'm getting ready for 16th December. :D

Last edited:
I dunno... but then chances are if you get hooked its moot as you will be ordering CV1 asap

OT: Cheers for having FC20VT in your life. i'm still proud owner of one badass 16VT :p

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Easily. I only have a GTX 760 and I can run it at max settings 1920x1080.

Really? At 75+ fps you need for rift? I was told with GTX760 you need to set game for low/medium to ensure such fps.

OMG, i ordered my DK2 on tuesday and it just got delivered now, i STILL have hours to go before i finish work today, how am i going to survive.

HELLO Dk2 people.

Coolb2

Same here, although I did try the OR for a while. Can't fault its sense of immersion in the cockpit, but the loss of visual fidelity is too much for me. I went back to the trackIR and havent felt the need to get the OR out again. It will be getting ebay'd before Christmas.

Oh and I just received my MFG Crosswind which has been on order for 3 months, much better use of £250 for me! Although I may need to find an offline game to use them in when I move out late January... :(

Your got your MFGs!!!? Congrats. I'm on the waiting list with an expected delivery in Feb 2015. In the meantime, I'm using the Saitek pro combat rudders. The build quality of these are pathetic, but it's far better than using my Warthog thruster hat for yaw. When you get a chance, please do a "review" of the pedals and share.

I decided to go triple monitors instead of DK2. I have DK1 and not been using it at all because of the resolution, and res is still a big issue with DK2.

CV1 rumored release in 2016.. so yeah triple monitors for me now.

Crescent Bay is just a prototype. Hopefull CV1 will be even better.

Now the triple monitor setup is more of a compelling setup imho. I currently have a Catleap q270 and it's been amazing. And for around 300.00 each, I may endup buying 2 more. I'm just not sure if my dual 780TiSCs will be enough for the setup.

Hi guys! I could not stand it any longer, seeing/reading that all of you where having so much fun in the Rift. I actually planned on waiting for CV1 but reading on various forums, along with youtube clips.. Well, you know how it is. So.....

I ordered mine last sunday and it arrived last night !! Im amazed it got shipped to me that fast... I had just installed my new GTX 980 card so the timing was perfect. Anyhow, since this is my first post I might as well just say hello proper.

My system:

Intel Core I7-3770K OC 4.2ghz
Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling
MSI Z77A-GD65
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 16GB
Kingston HyperX SSD,
MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr

My first experience in the Rift is pretty much similar to the rest of you guys.... Pure amazement! Just sat there looking in awe, it really is an amazing experience. Just to echo most of you, its like Im really in the cockpit... Awesome ! Havent had much time to actually fly in ED yet, my Saitek X55 wont arrive until next week. But I have tried Alien Isolation along with some other games / demos and its been great so far.

Im an old school gamer, been active in "the scene" as far back as I can remember, atari spectrum amigas commodore , yeah.. Putting on the Rift and parking my ship in orbit around a star or planet is like a dream come true. How about walking around the sister ship of the Nostromo from the Alien movie, or flying the sukhoi su-27 up into the clouds and and and... Well, you know what I mean.

Have fun guys and thank you for "talking me into" buying a new GTX card and a DK2.

Your got your MFGs!!!? Congrats. I'm on the waiting list with an expected delivery in Feb 2015. In the meantime, I'm using the Saitek pro combat rudders. The build quality of these are pathetic, but it's far better than using my Warthog thruster hat for yaw. When you get a chance, please do a "review" of the pedals and share.

Now the triple monitor setup is more of a compelling setup imho. I currently have a Catleap q270 and it's been amazing. And for around 300.00 each, I may endup buying 2 more. I'm just not sure if my dual 780TiSCs will be enough for the setup.

Thanks dude, I certainly will once I have unpacked them, I didn't bother before as the last build killed pedal controls lol. (I secretly think FD hates me).

After reading a lot about how Rift will take immersion to another level (That's what Elite originally - and still - means to me. It's a way to escape to another universe):

I just ordered my OR DK2 today - and about 3 hours after placing the order I got email saying that it's about to ship!

Whoo! Now if only I knew how much time the delivery will take.. I just can't wait :)

Top Bottom