I bit the bullet and ordered my Rift!

Care to post the settings? Always curious to compare mine and see if there is something I missed to improve it.

cheers

I know a lot of players are saying, hold out buying the DK2 cos the consumer version will be out and it will be so much better.

This is my feelings on that..

I've just got hold of the DK2, for me I was thinking how much money would the consumer version cost over in the UK and how long you could be waiting for release, as at the moment cheeky sods on ebay are selling them for £400-500 each ,,,, I got mine direct from oculus for £220+P&P, and it took 6 days for delivery.

Some how when the consumer version does come out you won't be able to get them direct, and I have a funny feeling you will not be able to get it for less than £400 from any other retailer over in the UK.

So I'm not going to spend that kind of cash on VR when I can get it now for under £300.

It's still a great experience, and Elite is amazing :D

Arghhh..

UPS was supposed to deliver my DK2 today and their tracking shows that it's in the delivery vehicle. So a while ago I saw delivery van from my window as it parked in front of the door... Finally the wait would be over and I'd get to try VR.

Then I saw the driver rummage through the vehicle, shake his head, get into his van and drive away! I think my yell may have broken a window or two from nearby buildings. *sigh*

Guess the package wasn't in the van after all and it'll probably be delivered tomorrow then.. but this is going to feel like an eternity.

Mine arrived today. Set up took me about an hour, but man... i mean its like low res game but when you get into a fight you forget screen door effect, and all that shizzle, you just .. you are in and i dont know how to descibe it :D

yes! mine just arrived exactly 1 week after ordering :D
can't wait to get home and set it up! Long weekend too for testing...excitement ;)

I play for 3-4 hrs at a time, not uncomfortable at all, It doesn't look ridiculous from the inside of the rift ;)

Sometimes I catch myself immersed. Like parking a truck in Euro truck simulator, when I lean out of the window to the side and look behind me when reversing. I cought myself thinking: this must look ridiculous from the outside. But it's suprisingly easy to forget about your real room. Like when I'm reaching for bottle for drink suddely I'm confused its so much further than Im used to.

Just downloaded and ran through Titans of Space. It's a fantastic little demo. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. VY Canis Majoris... how big is that star?!

So Bog (OP), any buyer's remorse? I freakin love that thing and can't imagine waiting a year for the commercial version but if I was tight on money, I would wait I guess. I personally think it's an amazing product for the price. I'm looking forward to both the VR Drivers and the CV1.

I'd heard so much from several friends about how 'mazin' it is to use an Oculus Rift to fly Elite that today, I looked at my bank balance and thought "Christmas prezzie for Commander Bog!"

I'm horribly, lunatically excited.

Imagine a six-foot five inch bearded redhead going "Squeeeee!" and doing squee-hands-clapping.

That's me, that is. :D

Ur not the only one its my only crimbo pressie, i did the same and im dying to get it. I work in northern ireland and have my missus n kid in mainland uk, so i ordered before my last leave a few weeks back. Went home for the weekend hoping to get it and it turned up the day i bloody left. so on mon 8th Dec wen i fly for christmas leave, i have to wait four weeks to use it. excited and frustrated are understatement.

Anyone emnthusiastic on VR i made a thread today, done lot of research and foundd some amazing stuff like.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70283

Fish

Last edited:
So Bog (OP), any buyer's remorse? I freakin love that thing and can't imagine waiting a year for the commercial version but if I was tight on money, I would wait I guess. I personally think it's an amazing product for the price. I'm looking forward to both the VR Drivers and the CV1.

Don't you find that some demos make you sick? For me I'm fine in space scenes that aren't dense, so ED is Ok and Titans of Space is fantastic. But some others I've tried made me want to heave, like Ocean Rift for example.

/shakefist at this thread.

You lot have gone and done it. I finally succumbed and have just ordered the DK2.
Bring on the hours of setting up, tinkering, headscratching, reboots and all.

Oh yeah, and the super smug condescending sideglances from the wife. Not that I'll see them....

I think I'm on the precipice of my most amazing nerdgasm yet.

It speaks volumes about ED at just how much cash I've just throw at it. I now know what a HOTAS is. I also know what screen dooring is. And I dont care.

Bring on the OR based Stevie Wonder impressions.

it's suprisingly easy to forget about your real room. Like when I'm reaching for bottle for drink suddely I'm confused its so much further than Im used to.

I have moments of panic when I see my avatar stretching his hand and wiggling his fingers

/shakefist at this thread.

You lot have gone and done it. I finally succumbed and have just ordered the DK2.
Bring on the hours of setting up, tinkering, headscratching, reboots and all.

Oh yeah, and the super smug condescending sideglances from the wife. Not that I'll see them....

I think I'm on the precipice of my most amazing nerdgasm yet.

It speaks volumes about ED at just how much cash I've just throw at it. I now know what a HOTAS is. I also know what screen dooring is. And I dont care.

Bring on the OR based Stevie Wonder impressions.

Haha! Good for you!

Let us know what your hardware is GPU-wise and we can help you with settings. Because there are no proper drivers from nvidia (yet), you will need some serious graphics power. I don't think anything out there can run it at full settings yet. I tried it on a new machine at work with 2xTitans and still had to set some stuff down to Med or Low. Sounds like those 9xx cards are doing really well but honestly, when the drivers come out (which Nvidia says is going to be "soon") we will all be in much better shape I think.

I'm back to running supersampled. It's a personal preference because I have to trade shadow quality for this. I'll be so happy when that driver comes out! Regardless, I can't imagine you not loving it. I never heard back from the OP.. probably because he hasn't taken it off yet! :p

Top Bottom