I feel Elite's story is dry...

Hi everyone,

I come and go playing this game, I love it. I love the expanse of it all. I love the background. I love the universe. I love to explore. (I enjoy fighting the AI, not so much real people- but that's why they have solo play mode.)

But...

I hate the story.

It's so dry. I've heard many people lament at the story that there is no cohesion, nothing continues- nothing brings you back for MORE!

It feels like it's handled by two or three people, writing in a bubble. The same bits and pieces, over and over again, nothing is fluid and there is no dynamic content. Sure community goals, but to do what? change some minor economy struggles?

Here's the problem; you don't have personality behind the main characters. You don't have actors who play the game, or are a part of the game. There needs to be actors, and writers behind each character, and a director choreographing the entire story. The actors and writers for each galactic power, who come together and draw up political stories for each superpower. Have some creative dissonance and (in office) politics. The actors represent the character they portray, interacting with players in game, choose political missions and expansion efforts. Have real people drive the galaxy, instead of a few stuffy writers thinking they know how to make it feel better for the community.

There needs to be actors voicing the lead characters, bringing life to the story. Have these actors (and their writers) interacting with the players, talk about the efforts in the game, name players who've made big efforts in "news" events and speeches. Get the actors into the recording studio once a week and do a monologue, a speech, a state of the state address. Something!

It's dry. It's old. The technical aspects of the game is great, but the story is so dead and unappealing right now. Why have I chosen one power vs. the other, right now? because Aisling Duval is a pretty face. I'll choose another eventually so I can get ships I want. But that's no real reason to play this game, it's why I get bored and go play something else for a while. I want this game to be so much better! I want to come back to this and want to catch up on the story, I want to be able to have that feeling of not being able to put the book down... but right now, elite dangerous doesn't have that. Just go explore... go battle some griefer... money clearly isn't an objective.

Come on frontier. Get some good writers, and actors in there, make the story something I want to be a part of!

Also, we need a stock market exchange, and some form of gambling system to spend these crazy credits.... slot machines or something I can do while toting my goods or exploring the vast distances.

Last edited:
I feel it's not so much a game as an essay of man in society. Although the topic of free will vs determinism is fascinating, I would hardly call it entertainment. It lacks that certain je ne sais quoi that we've grown to expect with indie titles.

Wait... what are we talking about?

There’s a story!?
First time I hear "Story" and "Elite: in the same sentence.

A story would mean change, something moving forward. Elite doesn't move. It's static. Nothing ever changes. Hence no story.

The powers are a text wall which didn't really draw me in to care about any of them. Nothing to catch my attention saying "Wow, yep, I want to be part of this". Rather just flew as an independent and made money when opportunity arose.

Elite doesn't move. It's static. Nothing ever changes. Hence no story.

While OP has a point, you are just bring mindlessly negative. I am fairly confident this anarchy haven didn't exist in Colonia. Colonia itself didn't exist. The Pleiades expension didn't exist. The station highway didn't exist.

The game has changed massively since launch. The overarching story tends to be (too) dry and abstract, but even that changes. We may 'only have pretty faces and CGs', but when ED launched we had neither of those.

Claiming ED is static and never changes makes you sound like a bitter ex-boyfriend, and undermines the excellent and nuanced point OP makes.

Buys a sandbox that's famous for having no story. Complains about lack of story...

The galaxy could do with being more dynamic and alive but it does not need what you suggest. Better NPC's would do for a start. not more actual humans. Humans instead of NPC's are part of the problem

Last time they tried life actors in the game it turned into a disaster. Any time they may try to repeat it, it will turn into another disaster. Because it only needs a single dipwit to ruin it for everyone. With the numbers of players in Elite, you are certain to always have at least one dipwit around. So not using life actors in the game is the smart decision. It would just be a waste of time.

Last time they tried life actors in the game it turned into a disaster. Any time they may try to repeat it, it will turn into another disaster. Because it only needs a single dipwit to ruin it for everyone. With the numbers of players in Elite, you are certain to always have at least one dipwit around. So not using life actors in the game is the smart decision. It would just be a waste of time.

Excuse me but the FMV videos in FFE were beautiful. BEAUTIFUL.

Elite does have narrative, it does have a story. Things are happening in the galaxy and they lead to other things happening.

But, and here's the rub, as a player you're not a "main character" in any of those story arcs.

Think about this for a second. Of all the significant things happening in the world on the RL side of your screen, right now, are you even within spitting distance of being a main character in any of them? Your concerns are small by comparison, even though they are quite big enough to demand your attention. But you, personally, aren't going to "save the world" even though you can be a tiny part of a larger effort that might. In a game world you CAN be that significant and just about every other game gives you that central role. Powerful figures within the game world approach you for help while the game software tries to mask that they are simultaneously making the same plea to hundreds of other players - the queue of players gathering to "talk to" a main questline character on a busy FFXIV server sometimes looks like the ladies loo at a music festival!

Elite doesnt do that. You aren't the dragonborn, you aren't the warrior of light, the ringbearer or the last jedi. When folks gripe about Elite "not having a story" what they are really complaining about is that whatever story it has, they are an extra, a bit part.

Top Bottom