Horizons I finally understand why combat in the SRV is so terrible

With mouse and keyboard at least. When in turret mode, the turret does not follow the mouse movement 1:1. You make a slight adjustment, nothing happens; you make a slightly larger movement, at first the turret doesn't react, then slowly comes into action, then sways heavily in the direction of the mouse movement.
It seems to inherit power curve, sensitivity and deadzone from the ship controls. The thing is, steering a spaceship and controlling an SRV turret work not so well with mouse settings adjusted for either, and need seperate settings instead.

This also makes me very, very afraid of how it may turn out with multi-crew. If I go into a gunner position on a friend's ship, with my mouse sliders set just right for ship steering (absolute pitch+roll) and no separate mouse settings for turret mode, it'll be just as dreadful as the SRV turret. :(

FD, please give us separate sliders for mouse sensitivity, deadzone and power curve for each of these

* Ship steering
* SRV steering
* SRV turret mode
* 2.3 multi-crew turret gunner role

Edit: I have submitted this as a bug.

Upon further consideration and comparing how it works with mouse headlook, I think manual turret controls can be salvaged without replicating all 3 sliders:
* Ignore deadzone (deadzone = 0)
* Ignore power curve (mouse displacement happens in a 1:1 correlation to screen action)
* Seperate sensitivity slider
This is how it works for mouse headlook already and it works fine.

Last edited:
Oh, I gave up trying to control the SRV turrent with amouse, I have it follow my joystick instead..... so I do get your frustration with the mouse control of the turrent.

I'm fortunate to have a full HOTAS setup, so I try to use that as much as possible now. So this is what I came up with in the end.
Speed forward and reverse, throttle (same as when flying)
Sterring left/right, rudder pedals (same as YAW in when flying)
Pitch up/down, joystick (same as when flying)
Roll sideways, joystick (same as when flying)

When in turrent mode
Speed forward and reverse, throttle (same as when flying)
Sterring left/right, rudder pedals (same as YAW in when flying)
Turrent up/down, Left/right, joystick.

So I have made some spectacular escapes going sideways (in relation to where turrent is facing) and backwards. And then I have made quite a few not so gracedfully "escapes" where I lost which direction my SRV was facing so I ran in the wrong direction instead...

But you are defintelly are on to the need to have more custom settings between the different functions you can control, joyistick users have more those today than those using mouse.

I'm using the mouse to control the turret as well, besides having a full hotas setup. I don't experience the things you describe. The turret follows the mouse much more smooth than when I try to set it to something on my stick. I operate the srv with the trottle, using two buttons on the throttle to steer, while the mouse is in my right hand operating the turret. Try your mouse DPI setting, perhaps that helps.

In this video I engage and eventually kill a cobra with my SRV, see if that mouse behavior is different than yours.

[video=youtube;9-0yaSigwWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-0yaSigwWU[/video]

Last edited:
I'm using the mouse to control the turret as well, besides having a full hotas setup.

That's the thing. I don't. I have to set up my mouse as a sort of joystick-replacement for flying the ship. This is a screenshot of my mouse settings:

It feels perfect for flying, but horrible for the SRV turret.

Ah, my sleepy head yesterday confused the first two posts. :) But here's an idea: the default mouse powercurve I have set is all the way to the left. I have the mouse axis off, as I don't use them for flight, but perhaps the powercurve is also effective in driving the srv? Have you tried setting the powercurve to a lower setting and playing with the DPI setting on your mouse? Most gaming mice have a switch for lower/higher dpi. Perhaps a combination of this with the powercurve can solve your problem?

Top Bottom