I for one welcome "Maintentance Mode"

IF....

... Frontier fixes the bugs and minor design flaws in the current game.

I honestly believe most of the bugs and broken features in the game are due to Frontier rushing to meet deadlines that in hindsight were unrealistic for their development team. Sometimes the best thing for software is a "feature freeze", during which time the focus is on fixing the features we already have, and Elite Dangerous 3.3 has a LOT of features. I can be kept entertained by the current game for months to come if and when the bugs are fixed. Examples include:

I have yet to visit most of the in-game assets like generation ships and INRA bases because the graphics shaders on PS4 are terribly broken. Take the time to fix these shaders (they looked great when the game first released), and I will enjoy visiting these places, perhaps as part of a "tourist group" of other players.

I recently become more interested in the BGS and playing to both strengthen some factions while weakening others, but needless to say the BGS has been broken lately. Fix this (and perhaps enhance it and make it more accessible to noobs like me), and I will enjoy the deeper strategy game hidden in Elite Dangerous.

I absolutely love the new exploration tools, but there's lots of bugs with things like POI resolve time, statistics not showing, etc. There are also design flaws in the way the "error" messages cover up important details, etc. The various modes are still clunky and could use some attention, and the new lighting system really needs some adjustment. There are also some new QoL additions that would be easy-peasy to add, like the FSS spectrometer on our main HUD, and heck, give those poor souls who miss the ADS the ability to install one in their exploration ships as an optional, separate, module. Make it a Guardian Module that requires a little work if you think ADS is too overpowered for regular outfitting.​

I could go on and on about broken AI, stuttering framerate in supercruise, crashes that risk bricking PS4s, etc ad nauseam, but the point is simple -

Mr. Braben, tear down these bugs!

If Elite Dangerous 3.3 is the game you are going to be selling for the next two years, then you need to fix everything in the current game, otherwise your customers new and old won't trust whatever you try to sell us in 2020. Me personally, I think you have an amazing game already, buried under these bugs, and I think there is enough here to keep me busy until the "new era" (which I'm actually very excited about), but please Frontier, don't neglect the present by putting all your energies into the future, otherwise nobody will be around when the future gets here. Fix the bugs, tweak the glaring mistakes in design, add some very simple QoL improvements, and I think you'll find that most of us will still be here in 2020.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I'm shocked to find a post by yourself that does not include the word "elephant". :p

Though to be fair, I can't find much else wrong with it. :D

If they have an intention to sell us something in 2020. Has anybody heard something specific? I have seen a lot of promises for exciting things to come and I haven’t seen anything for last 4 years. Even when they say something specific, they reprioritize it.

Just my opionon of course, but the last thing they did before thie new era of mantainance mode was ruin exploration. The most long term persuit in the game. A galaxy that was able supply enjoyment for much longer than the wait till 2020 and they did what? Got to wonder whats going on tbh.

Last edited:
If they have an intention to sell us something in 2020. Has anybody heard something specific? I have seen a lot of promises for exciting things to come and I haven’t seen anything for last 4 years. Even when they say something specific, they reprioritize it.

Read the community update Will mentions what they plan on adding in between the time and that they will fix some stuff so he didnt say what. they said there will be a update every 3-4 months in between the wait.

Last edited:
Just my opionon of course, but the last thing they did before thie new era of mantainance mode was ruin exploration. The most long term persuit in the game. A galaxy that was able supply enjoyment for much longer than the wait till 2020 and they did what? Got to wonder whats going on tbh.

You'll notice that I advocated for the return of your ADS, even though I personally have no use for it. That said, please don't hijack this thread - you've got plenty of others going already :p

Read the community update Will mentions what they plan on adding in between the time and that they will fix some stuff so he didnt say what. they said there will be a update every 3-4 months in between the wait.

Updates which "will not take the same level of content or size that we have seen from our previous updates".

So, less impressive and interesting than fleets of identikit medium combat ships or 2D scanner minigames or shoot-the-pillars driving games or a minor reorganisation of the cockpit info panels.

Can't wait for those, they sounds awesome.

Updates which "will not take the same level of content or size that we have seen from our previous updates".

So, less impressive and interesting than fleets of identikit medium combat ships or 2D scanner minigames or shoot-the-pillars driving games or a minor reorganisation of the cockpit info panels.

The only 2 he mentioned were community goal changes and even more easy stuff for noobies.

I posted this response awhile ago in another thread and at the time thought I was being a bit dark. I said development is ending and the next announcement will be a skin mega bundle. Buy all skins for the low low price of 100$. The cash cow is being turned into a meatloaf for one final feast.

Last edited:
The only 2 he mentioned were community goal changes and even more easy stuff for noobies.

Well, I'm very "excited" about the incoming Gnosis-styley Hand of God update to community goals, there can't possibly be enough popcorn unless we can suddenly access a parallel universe made entirely of popcorn. I wonder what they will involve? Maybe - and this is a wild stab in the dark here but bear with me - fetching and carrying things from A to B, or possibly blowing up waves of ships? Who knows, the universe is exceedingly mysterious.

And I love noobs and am personally overjoyed that their hands will be held more tenderly, even though I have not been one myself for, let's see now, five years.

Last edited:
Well, time will tell, won't it.

Lots and lots of lovely time. Months of it.

Many, many, many months.

This doesn't bother me as it bothers some. If ED is bringing space legs, which is the only thing that truly qualifies as a "new era", that is going to take a considerable amount of effort to create functioning interiors for all the ships, stations, outposts, etc. FDev has said it's basically the same as building an entire new game, which takes time, lots and lots of lovely time. Good things come to those who wait!

The other reason it doesn't bother me is that I other cool new games to play this year, games like Rebel Galaxy Outlaws, The Outer Worlds, Subnautica, not to mention games in other genres. I guess if people only play ED and nothing else, then their disappointment is more understandable, but I usually have the opposite problem - too many awesome games and not enough time to play them all. So if anything, ED is doing me a favor by take a year off [haha].

All that said, ED is unique to me specifically because of the Stellar Forge and Flight Model, so I do desperately want the current game to be fixed. As for space legs and atmospheric worlds, there are other games I can play that give me this experience until 2020. No other game, however, lets me fly a spaceship to any star I can see in my IRL sky at night like ED does right now, and this is why I'm still happy with ED 3.3 - IF Frontier fixes all these bad bugs.

But that's just me :D

Last edited:

Lots of people enjoy the new minging tools, the Engineers overhaul, the changes to exploration, etc. That you don't like it is unfortunate but I don't really care about it.

And also updates every 3 months with content, bug fixing and QOL features.

Yes, updates which "will not take the same level of content or size that we have seen from our previous updates" and which will be pursued by a minority of the development team.

I'll certainly set up a special calendar to look out for those.

Last edited:
Well, I'm very "excited" about the incoming Gnosis-styley Hand of God update to community goals, there can't possibly be enough popcorn unless we can suddenly access a parallel universe made entirely of popcorn. I wonder what they will involve? Maybe - and this is a wild stab in the dark here but bear with me - fetching and carrying things from A to B, or possibly blowing up waves of ships? Who knows, the universe is exceedingly mysterious.

I think it will be more involved with galnet like salome styled events.

Top Bottom