I got a very fishy email

If there's been a thread about it for a couple hours at least, everyone who ever purchased the game should be aware of it.

Excuse me while I go read everything on the site a few times over.

I'd say the easiest way to make it look less questionable next time is to post a link to a blog post or thread on an official site rather than linking directly to an eBay auction.

latest

Even with the official statement, I still think the e-mail is fishy. Don't link directly to e-bay sites, link to your own website and promote the e-bay site.

These kinds of e-mails make me want to unsubscribe from Frontier. It's a shame, because I like the newsletter. I just don't want promotional garbage.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Just wanted to put your minds at ease and assure you this isn't a spam or hoax email! Jagex is the creator of Runescape and operates within Cambridge, same as us, so we've teamed up for Gameblast to help out Special Effect.

I can also confirm that the eBay auction is legitimate, and this has been mentioned on all our social channels as well.

Do let me know if there's anything further I can help you with :)

That's nice to know and thank you for setting this up, but you need to be aware that there are a lot of scammers out there in the internet, and some of us internet savvy types will bin anything that looks in the least bit dubious. As some have noted, this email had a number of red flags:

1. Does not look like the usual emails we get from Frontier
2. Email has hyperlinks - on mobile especially you don't want to click on those, since you don't have the hover-tip that warns you where the link is going
3. Email has a hook - act soon if you want to name a megaship!
4. One of the hyperlinks takes you to ebay (!) and to an account that's got nothing to do with Frontier (!!)
5. Typo - the email makes several references to "Mega Ships" when we all know that in Elite lore those are called "Megaships" (one word). This is the kind of mistake an outsider would easily make.

So yeah, I deleted mine as soon as I took one look at it. Sorry :p

Last edited:

sollisb

Banned
Hey guys!

Just wanted to put your minds at ease and assure you this isn't a spam or hoax email! Jagex is the creator of Runescape and operates within Cambridge, same as us, so we've teamed up for Gameblast to help out Special Effect.

I can also confirm that the eBay auction is legitimate, and this has been mentioned on all our social channels as well.

Do let me know if there's anything further I can help you with :)

Can you also assure us that our email addresses have not been passed onto a 3rd party without our permission?
<o

Top Bottom