I got a very fishy email

Hi everyone - I hope this is the right place to post this.

I just got an email that i consider highly suspicious, and it's supposed to come from FDev:
Jh3HbKI.png

I have to admit that after looking up a few things I am completely unsure whether or not this email is legitimately sent by FDev.
What I want to say with this thread is
  • If this is a scam attempt, please be warned
  • If this is legitimate, FDev, please put a little more effort into not creating mails that look like scam

So... here are the reasons this looks suspicious to me:
  • The sender is "newsletters@email-elitedangerous.com". Though this sender has been used in a few other emails, the sender usually is "newsletters@email-frontier.co.uk". Why are there varying senders?
  • A whois lookup of email-frontier.co.uk shows that the registrar is "Frontier Developments Ltd". email-elitedangerous.com, however, is registered by "1 API GmbH".
  • The youtube link in the email is not pointing to /elitedangerous, but /user/elitedangerous, which doesn't exist.
  • I could find no evidence for this whole thing outside of this email.
  • The image shown in the email has existed for some time, but unlike usual, there is no credit given. Maybe it's an official image I don't know though.
And, most importantly:
  • The link leads to an eBay (wth?) page where a seller named runescapeteam (wth?) is offering this obscure prize of naming a ship.

Since people are apparently actually bidding on the eBay item, it would be nice to see either a confirmation from FDev regarding this (and less suspicious emails in the future) or actions being taken against the scammers behind this.

Fly safe, CMDRs.

Edit: I have just received another very related email from the Planet Coaster newsletter, and it's from newsletters@email-frontier.co.uk, so I think it's now safe to assume this is legitimate. Seriously though, it still looks like a big scam.

Last edited:
It's fine, just give them your bank details - you know you want to :) Seriously though, I think this is legit; it's mentioned on the official twitter feed.

Hokier than hokey, I would have been suspicious as well.

Domains not registered to frontier, supporting an ebay auction, dodgy 8 bit graphics any hacker could have come up with, who the hell is Jagex?? This is not how to run a charity event boys and girls, this is how to look a bit unprofessional.

Last edited:
If it's not legit I'm not a Nigerian prince.
By the way...I got this HUGE inheritance coming to me but I'm a without a bank account to put it in. Think I could use yours? Send me your pin and I'll take care of the rest. Thanks.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hey guys!

Just wanted to put your minds at ease and assure you this isn't a spam or hoax email! Jagex is the creator of Runescape and operates within Cambridge, same as us, so we've teamed up for Gameblast to help out Special Effect.

I can also confirm that the eBay auction is legitimate, and this has been mentioned on all our social channels as well.

Do let me know if there's anything further I can help you with :)

Hey guys!

Just wanted to put your minds at ease and assure you this isn't a spam or hoax email! Jagex is the creator of Runescape and operates within Cambridge, same as us, so we've teamed up for Gameblast to help out Special Effect.

I can also confirm that the eBay auction is legitimate, and this has been mentioned on all our social channels as well.

Yeah but are you the "REAL PAIGE" though....Hmmm,,, bit suspicious to me... :)

Show us your tattoo and we might believe you

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Hi Paige,

Since you asked if there was anything else you can help with, please be sure your marketing team reads all of the bullet points in the original post and engage a professional to help them understand all the things they did wrong with this campaign.

Also let them know the following:

Javacript in email messages is a bad idea and will result in your message getting blocked by some spam filters.

Using links to images instead if including them in the email itself may seam like a way to track when your audience reads the email but often means your message gets sent right to the trash. Many people disable remote loading of images and other content in their email and simply delete any messages that are rendered unreadable as a result.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Hey guys!

You should post on the sites you actually own first.

Top Bottom