I got the cutter, and now I hate landing at stations

I only recently started playing Elite, maybe 2 months ago? But hearing interviews about the "Armstrong Moment" and the addition of on-foot... I was excited.

Teleporting in and out of the ship is, meh - but I could deal with that. I might even accept the "it's not very profitable to the game loop". Work vs. Product might be really out of balance on this issue.

But how in the world is taking the 5km run to the elevator at the back of a Cutter a worthwhile experience? So I teleport out of the front of my ship, then take the long trek through 14fps land (normally +60 fps in 85% of the game) because the cutter and the station just murder the graphics card, sprinting twice, to take an elevator into a tiny terminal area, and then make the trek back out to my ship again.

Could have just skipped the docking area and elevator altogether and that would have been a better experience.

I know it's a tired rant... But I just had to...

Skipping running around the hanger is akin to skipping the travel time to reach Sgr A*. An enormous hanger is the point - it conveys a sense of scale. Just remember that big ships usually means "more & slower". Plenty of people fly small/medium ships because they prefer "less & faster".

That being said... we need golf carts!

Last edited:
Skipping running around the hanger as akin to skipping the travel time to reach Sgr A*. An enormous hanger is the point - it conveys a sense of scale. Just remember that big ships usually means "more & slower". Plenty of people fly small/medium ships because they prefer "less & faster".

Golf carts? That's thinking too small.

We need motor cycles and hover bikes.

Also, landing the cutter at stations is hardly dignified

funny-pictures-dog-squeezing-through-trap-door-animated-gif.gif

I have a Cutter. I don't use it for on-foot missions because it's too big and unwieldy. Just use a smaller ship and you'll be happier doing those missions anyway.
I mean, I agree. The only thing I REALLY don't like is the frame rate drop, that's kinda janky.

My real point is, if I'm gonna walk that distance, it would be even more immersive to have to get out of my seat, unlock the door to the cockpit, make my way down a hallway, press some button to equalize pressure with the atmosphere, lower a staircase, and walk out of the ship.... THEN take a 5km walk to the starport.

THAT would be classy, and well worth it to show off my "status".

Also, landing the cutter at stations is hardly dignified

funny-pictures-dog-squeezing-through-trap-door-animated-gif.gif
Multiple configurations of the cutter, and at certain stations, the auto docking computer just.... can't.

On its way out the door - It will sometimes accelerate too much and be unable to stop, and them do anywhere between 30k and 200k worth of hull damage if I don't have a shield on. Sometimes it can't get out of the way for other ships either. Sometimes when docking, if I'm at the very first pad, it will start descending and clip the backend on something.

Actually pretty funny.

Skipping running around the hanger as akin to skipping the travel time to reach Sgr A*. An enormous hanger is the point - it conveys a sense of scale. Just remember that big ships usually means "more & slower". Plenty of people fly small/medium ships because they prefer "less & faster".

Oh yeah - don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Cutter for it's size. Walking out to the dock, it's just.... HUGE. And awesome! You walk up to it just knowing that you're about to fly something massive. Like your about to drive a luxury 18-wheeler

And then walking out to say the Courier or the DBX - totally different feeling. Like hopping into a sports car.

Having made the mistake of playing Star Citizen, I've dying inside a little.... It makes me long for a interactive internals in ships. Seeing Odyssey featuring on foot, and seeing the potential for stepping off a ship... It just makes sense. But I agree that the work required to make that possible might still be too much for FDEV to handle when the payoff isn't much for overall gameplay improvement.

try an autoland pilot:D
The advanced docking computer in a Cutter only proves that stations need to make room for me above all other peasants, regardless of the costs it requires them to incur. I demand special treatment!

If a station has to pay 500billion to have the port entry wider, and special landing pads for me - I could care less. How dare they discriminate against the Cutter like that.

If there is meaning and value to the travel time, it's fine. If it's just there to make players wait unnecessarily, then it's not.
For example Star Citizen. It's been announced how many years ago? we are all still waiting for it. Doesn't make it any more awesome. :p

Golf carts? We are just getting a new SRV!
Golf carts are future content dude, new "SRV" for 2026.

...right, today I started to read fun's "book" dated by original ED (no horizons yet). He wrote 1200 pages about farming of Anaconda :D
...now you got cutter in 2 months. Isn't it too fast already?

...right, today I started to read fun's "book" dated by original ED (no horizons yet). He wrote 1200 pages about farming of Anaconda :D
...now you got cutter in 2 months. Isn't it too fast already?
Well... I spent all my time investing in cargo space, running cargo using inara, found transport missions in nearby routes....

I went from sidewinder to hauler to type 6, 7, then 9....

Then I did the Empire and Federation routes.... Over and over and over and over....

At the time I was just using an Xbox controller and making jumps/docking from my kitchen whilst doing chores. So I definitely put a lot of hours into it.... But I wasn't constantly playing.

I don't know what it was like before, but.... It sure seemed like a lot of investment just to get a ship. I mean, that was a lot of hours poured into being a space trucker....

It wasn't "thrilling", but i liked it at the time. Now with different ships for different things, I'm branching out to explore different stuff.

Also, double checked. I've had it 71 days and spent 400 hours thus far. Idk but 400 hours seems reasonable to get the cutter if you're solely focused on getting the cutter...

Last edited:
sprinting twice
Any suit with sprint duration... it takes what, less than 30 sec from elevator to reach cutter front, and with that suit upgrade, stamina lasts long enough to cover that distance nicely.
But how in the world is taking the 5km run to the elevator at the back of a Cutter a worthwhile experience?
Its not 5km, its about 300m.... again its like that so you can enjoy and bask how majestic cutter is. And big.

If you dont like it, dont use concourses while using cutter at all or use smaller ship.

And again, started 2 months ago you say? Too early for cutter.

Last edited:
Any suit with sprint duration
Yeah... I spent my time getting the cutter, not a sprinty suit :p

Its not 5km, its about 300m.... again its like that so you can enjoy and bask how majestic cutter is. And big.
Yeah I touched on this previously, my big complaint is the 75 -> 14 fps drop when looking at the cutter in certain stations. And I'm mainly making a reference to the idea that adding interiors to the ships WOULD be incredibly awesome in the gameplay experience - which FDEV has kinda said "nah, not worth it". So running 5km 307.2m is enough to replace the idea of walking into your ship and instead just teleporting into it via... Magic. Im running a 2070 past its limits... And watching the frames go by doesn't make the Cutter much cooler.

And again, started 2 months ago you say? Too early for cutter.
Yes. How DARE I make it my goal to get a cutter and spend 400 hours doing so. Shame on me for not playing the game a different way.... Even though this is like the only offensive thing you've said, it sums your entire reply into "if only people played games the way I play them". Like damn, half of this post is just poking fun at weird stuff in the game while still enjoying it.

Top Bottom