I just combat logged :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Update
Support confirmed I refueled 11 minutes before ship went down, and that a significant chunk of that time was in hyperspace.

Fuel consumption in normal space is revealed to be not even remotely close to the required amount for this to have happened.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/1SBg5r3.png

At this consumption rate it is absolutely impossible to drain the filled aux tanks in a handful of minutes. This may be the return of a bug from 2017 where refuelling in stations didn't always actually refuel the tank. If anyone notices something similar, please do log it. Thanks to support (and the Fuel Rats).

edit: to clear any confusion, it was a menu-log. I know it doesnt count as a 'true combat log' but allow me a dramatic click-bait title for once. Heck, with the silly timer we have now using the menu is probably faster than mucking about with the task manager in VR anyway...

And I have no clue what is happening, what has happened, what will happen or what I am supposed to do. To say I am 'confused' is to put it mildly.

Lets start at the start. I just finished engineering an Alliance Crusader. Never done much with Alliance ships outside of beta. I vaguely remember being disappointed with how much the Crusader was less agile than the Chieftain. But as it is the most agile SLF-carrying ship and I wanted to get my favourite crewmember to Elite I figured I'd give it a shot. I've been dorking around with weird builds, and this one is designed to mostly annoy big ships with negative effects. Here is the exact build.

Most notably it isn't exactly power starved, and it has plenty of shields. It isn't the sanest build, but it has enough shields that my crew can keep it in one piece while I fly the SLF, a Guardian GX7 Trident. The setting is simple: I am in a Hi-res, in the SLF. I am +-15KM from the center, +-1km from the mothership. Both I and the mothership are at full health/shields, we're fighting a Deadly Cobra MK4 NPC. There are no other ships, human or otherwise, on the radar. I'm facing the Cobra head-on, and he fires on me. As I pass beneath him I instantly explode. I don't think I collided with him, but it was close so I won't rule it out. In any case, I am moved to the mothership, my SLF is rebuild and the NPC crewmember is watching netflix. So I am slightly puzzled but at that point I don't think too much of it. I mean, I only lost a SLF, who cares?

Then +-10 seconds later my shields, who are at full strength, collapse, my ship is dead in the water and I have a 'power exceeded' warning. That is weird because even when everything is powered and active I should still have 10% to spare even without using power management. I don't think you can snipe modules using phasing sequence (right?), and I am not quite sure how else one can disable my powerplant instantly through 3000+ MJ effective shielding. And we're not talking about a highly skilled cmdr, but just an NPC. In a Cobra MK IV.

So now I am getting... concerned. I consider rebooting to fix the pp and get the heck out of there. Then I notice this:
https://i.imgur.com/1C7O1yA.jpg

My powerplant is at 99%. Not directly relevant but noteworthy: my power management appears to be gone. But still, a 99% power plant should have no problems powering my ship. This screenshot is taken a solid minute after the ship went dead, so whatever temp effects were active (?) should have been removed by now. Changing power management does nothing. My powerplant is outputting [I]less than 50%[/I].

So here is the deal: I don't care about the insurance, I do care about about the NPC crewmember. If I messed up somehow and everything is as it should be I'll let the oxygen run out and that'll be that. But in that case I wouldn't mind some explanation, because I can't figure it out. If there is no explanation I'll contact our friendly support folks. :) Before I waste their time: what happened? Is this normal?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Last edited:
Grumble grumble I did for the first time the other day as well.

• Didn’t want my npc crew to die and the station wouldn’t let me dock.
  • The station didn’t have repair so for the first time ever tasted witch space.. I think I’m a different person. I can taste thargoid now. No idea you could do that.. not sure it makes sense.
  • Wouldnt have done it if the Meta community game didnt suggested it.
  • of course was all in solo.

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you ran out of fuel, which in turn shut your ship down.

Hey, that looks to be the case! :D That brings us to the next question: why is my ship out of fuel? This is the 2nd engagement, so I was there for approximate 5 minutes tops. That system is +-35LY from my home system, I should easily hang around for an hour and still have enough for the two jumps back.

I cant accidentally dump fuel, can I?

Hey, that looks to be the case! :D That brings us to the next question: why is my ship out of fuel? This is the 2nd engagement, so I was there for approximate 5 minutes tops. That system is +-35LY from my home system, I should easily hang around for an hour and still have enough for the two jumps back.

I cant accidentally dump fuel, can I?
Plasma Slug engineering? Or forgetting to refuel 🤔

Plasma Slug engineering? Or forgetting to refuel 🤔

Nothing to slug on the ship. I can't definitely rule out forgetting to refuel, but I had been jumping around to Coeus/Colonia/Engineers/Carcosia. I must have refueled at least a few times to even make it there. Draining the primary tank is possible, but then I should still have plenty in my aux (would have ended up in the same situation eventually, but after five minuts?)

The Replicated Man

T
And I have no clue what is happening, what has happened, what will happen or what I am supposed to do. To say I am 'confused' is to put it mildly.

Lets start at the start. I just finished engineering an Alliance Crusader. Never done much with Alliance ships outside of beta. I vaguely remember being disappointed with how much the Crusader was less agile than the Chieftain. But as it is the most agile SLF-carrying ship and I wanted to get my favourite crewmember to Elite I figured I'd give it a shot. I've been dorking around with weird builds, and this one is designed to mostly annoy big ships with negative effects. Here is the exact build.

Most notably it isn't exactly power starved, and it has plenty of shields. It isn't the sanest build, but it has enough shields that my crew can keep it in one piece while I fly the SLF, a Guardian GX7 Trident. The setting is simple: I am in a Hi-res, in the SLF. I am +-15KM from the center, +-1km from the mothership. Both I and the mothership are at full health/shields, we're fighting a Deadly Cobra MK4 NPC. There are no other ships, human or otherwise, on the radar. I'm facing the Cobra head-on, and he fires on me. As I pass beneath him I instantly explode. I don't think I collided with him, but it was close so I won't rule it out. In any case, I am moved to the mothership, my SLF is rebuild and the NPC crewmember is watching netflix. So I am slightly puzzled but at that point I don't think too much of it. I mean, I only lost a SLF, who cares?

Then +-10 seconds later my shields, who are at full strength, collapse, my ship is dead in the water and I have a 'power exceeded' warning. That is weird because even when everything is powered and active I should still have 10% to spare even without using power management. I don't think you can snipe modules using phasing sequence (right?), and I am not quite sure how else one can disable my powerplant instantly through 3000+ MJ effective shielding. And we're not talking about a highly skilled cmdr, but just an NPC. In a Cobra MK IV.

So now I am getting... concerned. I consider rebooting to fix the pp and get the heck out of there. Then I notice this:
1C7O1yA.jpg

My powerplant is at 99%. Not directly relevant but noteworthy: my power management appears to be gone. But still, a 99% power plant should have no problems powering my ship. This screenshot is taken a solid minute after the ship went dead, so whatever temp effects were active (?) should have been removed by now. Changing power management does nothing. My powerplant is outputting less than 50%.

So here is the deal: I don't care about the insurance, I do care about about the NPC crewmember. If I messed up somehow and everything is as it should be I'll let the oxygen run out and that'll be that. But in that case I wouldn't mind some explanation, because I can't figure it out. If there is no explanation I'll contact our friendly support folks. :) Before I waste their time: what happened? Is this normal?
Whats the deal with the chaff being cooked off? Were you in perma silent running and cooked your ship? Maybe your NPC Pilot did it to spite you.

Combat Logging is never the answer CMDR. While I believe there is a logical explanation and a conclusion we can come to, regardless logging is not something you want to become accustomed to doing.

EDIT: After looking at your ship You RAN OUT OF GAS and Logged XD! That hull is made out of wet cardboard. If you want an Actual viable build for the crusader, I can provide one for you.

Maybe check the logs?
I remember vaguely some time ago someone complaining about disappearing fuel. Maybe this is some bug?

Anyone know of an app that translates it into something a bit more easily digestible? What I can see that already makes little sense is (cut from the log, tons of stuff in between):

{ "timestamp":"2019-06-12T18:02:56Z", "event":"RefuelAll", "Cost":302, "Amount":6.029687 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-06-12T18:12:47Z", "event":"RefuelAll", "Cost":400, "Amount":7.970733 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-06-12T18:19:58Z", "event":"RefuelAll", "Cost":553, "Amount":11.030362 }
{ "timestamp":"2019-06-12T18:21:25Z", "event":"Shutdown" }

The first two lines make sense: I am in a station, refueling. But how on earth did I 'refuel' less than two minutes before closing the app? I spend more time than that re-logging into solo to take the screenshot. There is no way I refuel, make two jumps, fly to a RES, kill one NPC, engage another, get blown up in my SLF, enter my mothership, lose shields, check modules, exit game, relog in solo, take a screenshot and quit in 90 seconds.

And without that weird line there is no reason why my aux is drained. No matter how you jump, the aux shouldn't be emptied in less than ten minutes after re-fueling?

I must be missing something...

Last edited:
Journals have fuel levels in the FSDJump events, or use a front-end tool to check. The reserve tank only refills when it needs to, so quite possibly you had minimal reserves, jumped and depleted the main, then what was left in the reserve ran out and ... no power

Edit : I've certainly watched my reserve empty and refill from the main - it isn't kept full IMHO

Journals have fuel levels in the FSDJump events, or use a front-end tool to check. The reserve tank only refills when it needs to, so quite possibly you had minimal reserves, jumped and depleted the main, then what was left in the reserve ran out and ... no power

But the aux usually has 30-60 min, right, and re-fueling in a station always tops both main and aux tanks? I just don't see how I can have made the jumps I've made in an hour without refueling at any of the stations...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom