I just gave Odyssey a good go, here are my thoughts...

So after a little while, I decided to give odyssey a good try out .. (20 odd hours) ..

Here are the things I liked, Better graphics, that's always nice. Some nice changes to the hyperspace animation. I felt the overall experience was more polished (graphically) .. I haven't yet had the need to go "On Foot" (I did walk around a station a bit and it wasn't a game changer, it was ok)

Some things I am on the fence about, the menu changes, Is it me, or is it more cumbersome than before? It seems harder to find things ..maybe that is just something to get used to.

Things I do not like are the aforementioned menu changes. The changes to mining (not the profit) .. It's so much harder to spot a "Mother-lode" asteroid than before .. It seems you have to have multiple Hot-spots crossing over to get any real success and on top of that, it seems you make more for exploration than mining now. That seems a strange decision.

I am wondering (This may have already happened) if things like the "Robigo Run" will come back as you can make more money just doing the route than the mission, and that mission was fun.
and the "New additions" coming are irreverent to me. I was hoping for more gameplay additions, but again, more multiplayer stuff.

I did enjoy my time but things seem to be going in a funny/wrong way to me.

Happy Burger Day! (there is no burger day)

"Some things I am on the fence about, the menu changes, Is it me, or is it more cumbersome than before? It seems harder to find things ..maybe that is just something to get used to."

The latter. Get used to it, you'll find that is lightyears more comfortable and responsive than the old horizon version was. It's, objectively speaking, an upgrade.

"Some things I am on the fence about, the menu changes, Is it me, or is it more cumbersome than before? It seems harder to find things ..maybe that is just something to get used to."

The latter. Get used to it, you'll find that is lightyears more comfortable and responsive than the old horizon version was. It's, objectively speaking, an upgrade.
You can get used to even the worst UI in the world - and then confuse that with actually liking it. What the new UI does is an attempt at providing an answer to the same and new problems in a brand new way. Its a complete rework - and a trip back to school in getting to know it.

What I think FDEV should have done was a video or stream BEFORE launch about the new UI - and not 5 months down the road. That way people would have known what was going to happen - and early feedback could have been taken onboard.

Having been playing Odyssey since the alpha, I found that when going back to Horizons to play my 3rd account had me wasting time trying to work the old UI as muscle memory was already 'set' for EDO.

I sorted that issue very easily, despite the performance issues with EDO currently I bought a 3rd copy - now everything is uniform and easy!

You can get used to even the worst UI in the world - and then confuse that with actually liking it. What the new UI does is an attempt at providing an answer to the same and new problems in a brand new way. Its a complete rework - and a trip back to school in getting to know it.

What I think FDEV should have done was a video or stream BEFORE launch about the new UI - and not 5 months down the road. That way people would have known what was going to happen - and early feedback could have been taken onboard.
Haha, not arguing with the fact that they handled the release atrociously. It was pretty much a complete overhaul from the previous version, although thankfully it wasn't like the usual YouTube layout updates, which removed useful and well known features with some weird new one, that does the job in a different, less convenient way.

With EDO, i can finally search for systems accurately, thanks to the suggestion feature. Locking onto a system isn't an emotional meltdown for me every time, like in OG horizons galmap, where the search tab didn't even register your typing occasionally. Thankfully it was a step in the right direction. Let's hope they'll do the same with fps next...

I'm a bit on the fence about the new UI. After spending some time with it, i'm not saying its bad, nor good, just different.

I know the whole "being mad about EDO" thing is getting a bit old now but the thing I find most frustrating about it is simply that it doesn't really incorporate much that appeals to me.

It's kind of ironic because we're told that ship interiors isn't happening because there's little new gameplay linked to it but, for me, exactly the same thing applies to EDO.
The station interiors are kind of cool but I'm not especially interested in the missions or CZs, which also means there's no compelling reason to bother with the engineering either.

It's also doubly ironic because I'm actually okay with that.
I do value the added immersion of being able to wander around stations and see other (vaguely) humanoid lifeforms in the ED universe.
That added immersion, alone, is enough to make EDO worthwhile for me.
And yet it isn't enough, apparently, to compel FDev to develop ship interiors.

I know the whole "being mad about EDO" thing is getting a bit old now but the thing I find most frustrating about it is simply that it doesn't really incorporate much that appeals to me.

It's kind of ironic because we're told that ship interiors isn't happening because there's little new gameplay linked to it but, for me, exactly the same thing applies to EDO.
The station interiors are kind of cool but I'm not especially interested in the missions or CZs, which also means there's no compelling reason to bother with the engineering either.

It's also doubly ironic because I'm actually okay with that.
I do value the added immersion of being able to wander around stations and see other (vaguely) humanoid lifeforms in the ED universe.
That added immersion, alone, is enough to make EDO worthwhile for me.
And yet it isn't enough, apparently, to compel FDev to develop ship interiors.
Why are we writing ship interiors off? Especially now, that we have an fps element to the game?

Am I the only one thinking that some kind of Odyssey review is a bit premature when the OP has only barely touched on the major new feature, the on foot gameplay ?

I think it is relevant for two reasons - a) it covers their areas of interest and b) it presages the changes people will see when Horizons has the relevant Oddity features "rolled-in".

I for example only loaded Oddity again yesterday for the first time in weeks to check out the Dav's Hope situation iin order to update my thread about it. I shall not be back in Oddity again until after the next update as the stuttering in a SRV at 28(ish) fps was awful.

Am I the only one thinking that some kind of Odyssey review is a bit premature when the OP has only barely touched on the major new feature, the on foot gameplay ?
Think so.. Since he is not even mentioning things that are not in EDH (well the gfx...)
I’m loving the on foot stuff despite major reservations pre-release.
Odyssey in my opinion is a major thumbs up from me (an aging 1984 Cmdr)
The good news is it is only going to get better.
The on-foot play "doesn't appeal" to some as they believe it is just "a poor quality First Person Shooter" or something... these does appear to be many players occupying the "Dystopian Galaxy" who shun combat in any form, some even complain about NPCs 'interrupting' their game. 🤷‍♂️
EDO provides considerably more on-foot gameplay than some realise, and the AI today is considerably better than that in alpha. Some of the stealth missions are great fun to do, too!

Yes, Odyssey is in a bad place with its performance currently, and is only just seeing the 'missing' content from launch being introduced over a series of updates. It is going to get better for some of us, and, of course, much worse for others!

The on-foot play "doesn't appeal" to some as they believe it is just "a poor quality First Person Shooter" or something... these does appear to be many players occupying the "Dystopian Galaxy" who shun combat in any form, some even complain about NPCs 'interrupting' their game. 🤷‍♂️
EDO provides considerably more on-foot gameplay than some realise, and the AI today is considerably better than that in alpha. Some of the stealth missions are great fun to do, too!

Yes, Odyssey is in a bad place with its performance currently, and is only just seeing the 'missing' content from launch being introduced over a series of updates. It is going to get better for some of us, and, of course, much worse for others!
Pre release I was definitely in the im not interested in walking and shooting camp but since release I’ve given it a go and quite often find myself in a camp taking out pirates or enemy factions. In fact I suddenly remembered I had a FC and had better top upnher balance lol.

I have been one of the lucky ones with very little performance issues on either my old or new pc.

I have been one of the lucky ones with very little performance issues on either my old or new pc.
Likewise, Odyssey has been playable for me without too much complaining (bar 7.01 introducing some oddities on occasion) although I'd be much happier when optimisation brings good & consistent framerates everywhere!

I was 'sold' on the DLC after the first couple of trailers, once Odyssey released it has been 'excluding' Horizons for me apart from the times I use my laptop to move my FCs between bubble / Colonia as it is quieter with Horizons!

Likewise, Odyssey has been playable for me without too much complaining (bar 7.01 introducing some oddities on occasion) although I'd be much happier when optimisation brings good & consistent framerates everywhere!

I was 'sold' on the DLC after the first couple of trailers, once Odyssey released it has been 'excluding' Horizons for me apart from the times I use my laptop to move my FCs between bubble / Colonia as it is quieter with Horizons!
I’ve not even installed Horizons on the new PC!

Top Bottom