I just got blown up by my own carrier, while defending myself from the police that are meant to defend my carrier.

Interesting points of view on both sides in this thread. I see merit in both and, like many, I have never been shot at by my carrier (nor have I ever fired my weapon in real space surrounding it). Nevertheless, I'm still inclined to think that a literally-invulnerable carrier shouldn't fire on its owner under any circumstances. Accidents happen even when people are trying to do otherwise. Indeed, that's the very definition of an accident. I don't care whether a carrier is owned, leased, rented, borrowed or stolen. To be fired upon by your own carrier just seems immersion-breaking and suggests that in the codebase, carriers are just a station with a different skin. I'd bet they share 99% of the station logic for how players and NPCs are treated.

Personally, I find it unfortunate that the logic isn't more sophisticated for determining when to fire and upon whom. It's very "one strike and you're out". Not to go all CRAZY by attempting to translate real-world truths into this game world, but friendly fire accidents happen in combat zones ALL THE TIME. Less often these days, at least for super-powers, with smart weapons and vastly improved situational awareness. But I promise you many, many WW2 sailors died from friendly anti-aircraft fire from other ships. When former NFL player and US Army Ranger Pat Tillman was accidentally killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan in 2003, I'm quite certain that Army brass didn't call in an airstrike to take out the units that accidentally shot him (who were other members of his own squad, unfortunately).

Yeah, it is just a rebuy, and if the rebuy is going to bankrupt the player then the first unwritten rule (Don't fly without rebuy) has already been ignored...

Money being eaten very quickly by a FC... What all 38 million a week maximum? (plus any jumps * 100,000cr of course)

It must be so hard to admit making a mistake and deciding not to do it again...

I doubt that nobody here hasn't made a silly mistake, it happens.
Ur silly to think "its just a rebuy" Its not that we dont understand its that it shouldnt be a thing at all in the game....
The FC has a chance to almost wipe someones account clean, if someone to spend all there money getting a fleet carrier.... to then be blown up by it.... to then have to rebuy your ship with the money which may only be a small tiny bit left after buying a carrier.... 38 MILLION IS ALOT!

Put in respects we dont all have 2000 hours and "elite" rank in everything with god knows how much money to think a rebuy cost is simply... just a rebuy cost....
Its not a silly mistake either.... its a mechanic which shouldnt be in the game considering that THE OWNER is being KILLED by HIS OWN carrier!

If it was a mistake then yes it doesnt happen again but how can anyone stop a stray bullet from doing whatever and hitting a FC and causing up to 30Million in CR due to rebuy costs... from a bullet that costs... 30 CR

I don't remember what happens if you shoot your carrier, but it should be easy to check. Now regarding hostile police in a system, they do come after you around your carrier, and the carrier shoots at them. Many times i stay at the landing pad, immune from police fire, and the police - carrier battle will be raging on. Funny!

"just a rebuy" Someone whos money is being eaten very quickly from the FC just got blown up by it... has the chance to go broke... to then lose the carrier.... and the ship hes using if not able to rebuy.... yeah its just a rebuy
If you're in a situation where the operation costs of the fleet carrier can make you lose your ship because you can't afford a few rebuys, after paying the 5 billion down-payment for the fleet carrier, then maybe you shouldn't have the fleet carrier. That's on you, 100%.

Ur silly to think "its just a rebuy" Its not that we dont understand its that it shouldnt be a thing at all in the game....
The FC has a chance to almost wipe someones account clean, if someone to spend all there money getting a fleet carrier.... to then be blown up by it.... to then have to rebuy your ship with the money which may only be a small tiny bit left after buying a carrier.... 38 MILLION IS ALOT!

Put in respects we dont all have 2000 hours and "elite" rank in everything with god knows how much money to think a rebuy cost is simply... just a rebuy cost....
Its not a silly mistake either.... its a mechanic which shouldnt be in the game considering that THE OWNER is being KILLED by HIS OWN carrier!

If it was a mistake then yes it doesnt happen again but how can anyone stop a stray bullet from doing whatever and hitting a FC and causing up to 30Million in CR due to rebuy costs... from a bullet that costs... 30 CR
It is just a rebuy... Be it 100k or 60 million, and is still just a rebuy whichever error is made.
Looking at it any other way is a bit pointless if one wished to continue playing and not become 'risk averse'.
I've been back in the Freewinder several times in my play in this game, all the usual mistakes including flying with no rebuy... Shooting stuff we really shouldn't, silly crashes...

When I bought my first FC I had 12 million left, I didn't set out in my Corvette to 'earn a crust' until I could afford to rebuy it a couple of times...

If it really matters, I have around 800 million on one account and a little over a billion on another - both have FC's though. As for triple elite, so what? My attitude toward rebuy and credits was set when I was still a very new player, not last week as I have plenty...

I have 4000+ hours by the way...

snip
If you can't properly manage your assets to avoid bankruptcy, you don't deserve those assets.
but how can anyone stop a stray bullet from doing whatever and hitting a FC and causing up to 30Million in CR due to rebuy costs... from a bullet that costs... 30 CR
Two words.
Trigger discipline.

If you're in a situation where the operation costs of the fleet carrier can make you lose your ship because you can't afford a few rebuys, after paying the 5 billion down-payment for the fleet carrier, then maybe you shouldn't have the fleet carrier. That's on you, 100%.
i understand managing assets i was just saying it as an example as if i were to buy a FC and thats 5 billion.... i most likely wouldnt have very much money at all after it so i was saying thats where the issues could appear.

I don’t care if my FC returns fire on me, I just want them to stop saying welcome to our carrier when I get docking permission.

I‘m all for employees taking ownership of their job if it increases productivity, but I certainly don’t want them to verbalize it in my presence.
It is my carrier.

i understand managing assets i was just saying it as an example as if i were to buy a FC and thats 5 billion.... i most likely wouldnt have very much money at all after it so i was saying thats where the issues could appear.
Then, surely, you would ensure that something unforseen wouldn't force you back into a freewinder?
Credits can be earned even in flying 'cheap' ships, and even a couple of short play sessions can build a credit buffer enough to bring out the 'big earning' ships...

Approaching low funds in any other way is courting disaster and losing an engineered ship because the rebuy wasn't factored into flying it is annoying, particularly as it is self-inflicted.

To have bought a carrier, then lose your ship like this with no rebuy, and become insolvent would be hilarious.

Potentially winning the Moron of the Month award.

I take it this is the rub of the discussion?! If it ever happens, I ask politely to be first in line to kick said player in the chuff, out of muppet value.

I bought my fleet carrier with another 10 or so billion left over to cover outfitting and running costs for a while.
Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance.

@OP

All in all, yes it’s a pretty poor implementation of fleet carriers and there are many other issues with it as well, besides what you experienced. It is what it is though and you just have to adapt and learn to deal with the mechanics that were implemented. I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Well, when I bought my carrier I did so with only 100 million credits remaining. However the difference here is I own my decision on that. For a time, credits meant something and I had to think about what I was doing. If it had gone wrong, no-one made me buy it with so little in reserve.

Since I already knew carrier upkeep is trivial it didn't take long to have millions again. However I didn't shoot it, because maybe it would be similar enough to a megaship or capital ship that this would be a bad idea.

Top Bottom