I know it's been asked for before but please..........some form of storage!

I don't know the current rates after deep core mining became a thing. That may have crashed the market...
I already clearly explained how it benefits gold farmers. I will not respond again to this thread.

But your response was ridiculous and we have stated before that we would be fine with a limit of say, 100T in the station, that the cargo can not be sold at the same stations it's stored in and you could not store it in your ship then transfer the ship elsewhere.

So, in short, ALL of the arguments, including yours, have been addressed but some of you apparently refuse to read or acknowledge what we're saying, which further reinforces the claims that you're all acting like babies that just don't want any changes made.

100T of storage is less than a lot of the ships out there. It's not for hoarding, it's for convenience. Something like that will not break the markets, the BGS, PP or anything else and it sure doesn't make the lives easier on farmers. If you can't offer anything other than "we don't want it" or "It's an exploit", then just move on. We get it already, you don't want it but others do. I hope we get LOTS of movable storage in FCs so we can all LOL.

Sry I didn't read through all 17 pages of comments, I just don't have the time. Maybe a summary of the already discussed pros/cons could be added to the first post? If not, that's fine by me - just a suggestion.

From the perspective of a new player, lack of storage is really weird. I've played plenty of games in the past few decades and this seems rather odd to me - but that's also because I tend to hoard stuff in virtual worlds.

I think there are different ways to introduce some kind of storage system to the game as a quality of life feature, while making sure that it doesn't impact current game mechanics as some might fear.
____
A few ideas - numbers are just examples to illustrate the basic concept:

1) high cost for storage transfer between stations (e.g. double market value, thus transfer will never be profitable)

2) slow transfer (e.g. 24-48 hours or more)

3) limited transfer (e.g. once per week/month) or some sort of cap (e.g. 1000 tons per month)

4) risky transfer between stations (e.g. actual ships are transporting goods, can be attacked by NPCs and/or players)

In general, if storage transfer between stations would be implemented, one could design it to be not profitable (at all) and only appeal to those who really need to move things, but can not be bothered to haul everything themselves. That way, a player could try to avoid flying a cargo ship but either has to pay for an expensive service or take the same risk as regular hauling.

The main goal of this approach would be to make station transfer a solution that comes with drawbacks for those who are planning to exploit the mechanic. In theory, I could see any of these options (even a combination of them) work out well - the question is ofc how well it would translate into the game.

Another option would be something like EVE's contract system: if players want to transfer storage, they would have to wrap it all up and another player would have to accept it as a mission and haul it to the desired destination. This way, we could have new gameplay as well. The only question is how to make sure there are no scams (it's the least favorite of the options because of higher exploit potential). Also, depending on the system, it might take a while until a player picks something up. Paying for NPC haulers might be the better alternative.
____
Alternatively, as has been suggested by others: no transfer between stations at all - a solution I could live with, because most of the time, I really just need to dump some cargo where I'm docked for whatever reasons.

Some ideas how this could be implemented in particular:

A) daily/weekly/monthly fee (e.g. 50 MCr per week - or per ton) to rent local storage space

B) limited time local storage (e.g. 24 hours; hefty fine if cargo is not picked up after timer runs out)

C) upgradable local storage module (e.g. starts at 25 tons; each module's price increases exponentially)

D) local storage permit (e.g. deliver 5000 tons of resource to earn the privilege; could be temporary)

Any of these (or a combination) sounds also interesting to me. It would require some work, one way or another, so players would have to give it some thought if it is worth getting local storage - this kind of convenience should have a price imho.

If paying with credits is considered too easy, one could introduce special missions to earn a "storage permit" for a particular station - that permit could expire after a while or it would unlock only a limited amount of storage. If a player wants more storage, they would have to invest more time/resource to unlock it.

Again, the main goal is to create a situation where players are forced to make a decision. Someone who really needs local storage, will jump through the extra hoops because their individual need is worth the effort. Someone who just wants to make a quick profit probably will not really develop the incentive to grind local storage space, unless there is some sort of long-term profit - in which case I think that kind of dedication should be equally rewarded.

Ofc, I may be wrong about people's masochist tendencies, but I really doubt e.g. a gold seller would invest time into something like this - the reason why gold sellers exist is because there is quick profit. The longer and the more arduous a process, the less profitable it is overall (I might underestimate these kind of people though).
____
Just to make it clear once more: these are just examples. I'm trying to make the point that there are always different ways to implement a mechanic and that there are always different parameters one can make use of and adjust the experience accordingly, depending on what one wants to achieve/avoid.

I really think the game could use storage, at least non-transferable, local storage - upgradable, somewhat limited (e.g. max number of stations with local storage and/or max tonnage per station) and/or costly.

A feature like this shouldn't just come with benefits imho, but also with drawbacks, whatever those may be.

However, I also think while this would be a great quality of life feature, it is not that essential - I'd much rather see the current module storage improved by adding proper filters/categories so I don't have to waste time scrolling through the entire list - because that's a real pita.

Sry I didn't read through all 17 pages of comments, I just don't have the time.

It's Ok.
I will give you the tl:dr

There is no real Need for cargo storage.
Only a convenience for someone that once had a load of more or less precious cargo and could not switch asap to his combat ship to help his friend.
Or another minor inconvenience for someone else that forgot that limpets can actually be sold back to stations.
Or various other more or less (in)conveniences.

But all in all, there is no Need and it is really not worth the hassle to code, implement and after that, deal with the potential exploits.

Makes sense that your opinion would be shared by the vast majority, after all you seem to be one of the developers! Thanks for the summary!

Also thanks for this great game!

It's Ok.

Only a convenience for someone that once had a load of more or less precious cargo and could not switch asap to his combat ship to help his friend.
Or another minor inconvenience for someone else that forgot that limpets can actually be sold back to stations.

But all in all, there is no Need and it is really not worth the hassle to code, implement and after that, deal with the potential exploits.

This is a game. It has nothing to do with 'need'. Personally, being able to store the ship and it's cargo or just cargo so that I can:
1) Quickly change to my combat ship to help a mate.
2) Switch to a different ship simply because my current games goals have changed.
3) Just because I want to

Would be an excellent quality of life change that without doubt improves gamer experience.

We have all run into this issue, regardless of the cause or reason.

It's up to FDev how to design the feature so that it limits exploits. Using that as an excuse to not want an excellent feature seems odd to me.

Sry I didn't read through all 17 pages of comments, I just don't have the time. Maybe a summary of the already discussed pros/cons could be added to the first post? If not, that's fine by me - just a suggestion.

From the perspective of a new player, lack of storage is really weird. I've played plenty of games in the past few decades and this seems rather odd to me - but that's also because I tend to hoard stuff in virtual worlds.

I think there are different ways to introduce some kind of storage system to the game as a quality of life feature, while making sure that it doesn't impact current game mechanics as some might fear.
____

1) high cost for storage transfer between stations (e.g. double market value, thus transfer will never be profitable)

3) limited transfer (e.g. once per week/month) or some sort of cap (e.g. 1000 tons per month)

4) risky transfer between stations (e.g. actual ships are transporting goods, can be attacked by NPCs and/or players)

In general, if storage transfer between stations would be implemented, one could design it to be not profitable (at all) and only appeal to those who really need to move things, but can not be bothered to haul everything themselves. That way, a player could try to avoid flying a cargo ship but either has to pay for an expensive service or take the same risk as regular hauling.

The main goal of this approach would be to make station transfer a solution that comes with drawbacks for those who are planning to exploit the mechanic. In theory, I could see any of these options (even a combination of them) work out well - the question is ofc how well it would translate into the game.

Another option would be something like EVE's contract system: if players want to transfer storage, they would have to wrap it all up and another player would have to accept it as a mission and haul it to the desired destination. This way, we could have new gameplay as well. The only question is how to make sure there are no scams (it's the least favorite of the options because of higher exploit potential). Also, depending on the system, it might take a while until a player picks something up. Paying for NPC haulers might be the better alternative.
____
Alternatively, as has been suggested by others: no transfer between stations at all - a solution I could live with, because most of the time, I really just need to dump some cargo where I'm docked for whatever reasons.

A) daily/weekly/monthly fee (e.g. 50 MCr per week - or per ton) to rent local storage space

B) limited time local storage (e.g. 24 hours; hefty fine if cargo is not picked up after timer runs out)

C) upgradable local storage module (e.g. starts at 25 tons; each module's price increases exponentially)

D) local storage permit (e.g. deliver 5000 tons of resource to earn the privilege; could be temporary)

Any of these (or a combination) sounds also interesting to me. It would require some work, one way or another, so players would have to give it some thought if it is worth getting local storage - this kind of convenience should have a price imho.

If paying with credits is considered too easy, one could introduce special missions to earn a "storage permit" for a particular station - that permit could expire after a while or it would unlock only a limited amount of storage. If a player wants more storage, they would have to invest more time/resource to unlock it.

Again, the main goal is to create a situation where players are forced to make a decision. Someone who really needs local storage, will jump through the extra hoops because their individual need is worth the effort. Someone who just wants to make a quick profit probably will not really develop the incentive to grind local storage space, unless there is some sort of long-term profit - in which case I think that kind of dedication should be equally rewarded.

Ofc, I may be wrong about people's masochist tendencies, but I really doubt e.g. a gold seller would invest time into something like this - the reason why gold sellers exist is because there is quick profit. The longer and the more arduous a process, the less profitable it is overall (I might underestimate these kind of people though).
____
Just to make it clear once more: these are just examples. I'm trying to make the point that there are always different ways to implement a mechanic and that there are always different parameters one can make use of and adjust the experience accordingly, depending on what one wants to achieve/avoid.

I really think the game could use storage, at least non-transferable, local storage - upgradable, somewhat limited (e.g. max number of stations with local storage and/or max tonnage per station) and/or costly.

A feature like this shouldn't just come with benefits imho, but also with drawbacks, whatever those may be.

However, I also think while this would be a great quality of life feature, it is not that essential - I'd much rather see the current module storage improved by adding proper filters/categories so I don't have to waste time scrolling through the entire list - because that's a real pita.
Some really workable ideas in this.

I really like the 'mission' approach, but then if some idiot drives my ship into a sun..

Bonded transport carriers maybe?

This is a game. It has nothing to do with 'need'. Personally, being able to store the ship and it's cargo or just cargo so that I can:
1) Quickly change to my combat ship to help a mate.
2) Switch to a different ship simply because my current games goals have changed.
3) Just because I want to

Would be an excellent quality of life change that without doubt improves gamer experience.

We have all run into this issue, regardless of the cause or reason.

It's up to FDev how to design the feature so that it limits exploits. Using that as an excuse to not want an excellent feature seems odd to me.
To answer your three scenarios:
1) So what happens if you are out exploring, 1,000's LY away and your mate needs your help. Are you advocating instant travel now? Or due to your current circumstances you politely tell your mate you can't help him. Which of course you can tell him now or at least tell him to wait 5 minutes so you can finish your current mission.
2) FD should not build their game around players who can't make up their mind on what they want to do and then require instant change. If you decide you no longer want to trade, you do have a choice. Finish your mission or trade run then swap ships. Or abandon or jettison your cargo then swap ships. The choice as always, is yours and yours alone.
3) I want to be able to own all the ships in the game, all fully engineered and appropriately rated. Is that justification for asking FD to change the game?

I did read the entire thread this morning and still have not seen one legitimate reason for the need to store cargo. Until someone convinces me, there is no need for FD to change it's current policy.

____

____

____

It isn't about transfer between stations.
The big problem with storage is selling commodities out of storage. It at least doubles the amount of gold or void opals that can be sold at the last moment before a BGS tick.

This will have to be sorted out for personal fleet carriers. I could be ten thousand lightyears outside the bubble with my entire fleet of ships. It would be stupid to not be able to fly my vulture because my type 9 is full of mined ore. Putting storage (of some sort) in carriers and not stations would not break BGS and would give one more reason to buy a carrier.

It's Ok.

Funny how the typical response is something along the lines of an accusation/assumption that the players don't know how to play the game. It couldn't possibly be that the players would like to see a convenience added that is found in most game of this nature. It's a quality of life issue. One that many of us have no problem with accepting reasonable limitations, so as to satisfy the concerns of the unreasonable players.

So will many of you anti-storage players leave the game if we get storage capabilities with fleet carriers? ;)

\
Until someone convinces me, there is no need for FD to change it's current policy.
Lucky for all of us that we don't have to convince you of anything, as you are not employed at FDev.

It's a feature that should be implemented as a QOL. It's a simple time saving convenience for the players of this game that aren't quite as .... regimented in their game play.

\

Lucky for all of us that we don't have to convince you of anything, as you are not employed at FDev.

It's a feature that should be implemented as a QOL. It's a simple time saving convenience for the players of this game that aren't quite as .... regimented in their game play.

If you want the support of the community, yes you do have to convince not only me, but everyone else. As for FD, as it has been stated many times, they have already decided on the feasibility of this proposal and have rejected the concept.

I did read the entire thread this morning and still have not seen one legitimate reason for the need to store cargo. Until someone convinces me, there is no need for FD to change it's current policy.

Well, despite what you might believe:
  • There have been several legitimate suggestions, which others agree are also legitimate.
  • We fortunately do not need to convince YOU of anything, since what you believe has very little to do with FD's policy.
If you can't contribute anything but the usual "we don't want it" response, then you're not really contributing anything useful. There's people here from both sides of the aisle and some post valid concerns about cheating. From what I recall, all of those concerns have been addressed with numerous options to limit or prevent cheating so it seems that this could be implemented as a quality of life improvement while preventing abuse. If you still want to childishly scream "no no no" because you simply do not want it, then why should we listen? Adults typically ignore those kids and focus on the adult conversations taking place.

Last edited:
If you want the support of the community, yes you do have to convince not only me, but everyone else. As for FD, as it has been stated many times, they have already decided on the feasibility of this proposal and have rejected the concept.
Funny how life works sometimes.

People will re-look at an issue and choose to do things differently than they did in the past.

Companies do exactly the same thing.

See you in space commander.

Well, despite what you might believe:
  • There have been several legitimate suggestions, which others agree are also legitimate.
  • We fortunately do NOT need to convince YOU of anything, since what you believe has very little to do with FD's policy.
If you can't contribute anything but the usual "we don't want it" response, then you're not really contributing anything useful. There's people here from both sides of the aisle and some post valid concerns about cheating. From what I recall, all of those concerns have been addressed with numerous options to limit or prevent cheating so it seems that this could be implemented as a quality of life improvement while preventing abuse. If you still want to childishly scream "no no no" because you simply do not want it, then why should we listen? Adults typically ignore those kids and focus on the adult conversations taking place.

A civil response would have been preferred. If you would care to go back to my post you will see that I addressed a specific set of scenarios that another poster had submitted. At no time did I mention anything regarding cheating, and to pre-empt your next caustic response, I didn't mention anything about exploits either.

I did not scream 'no no no', you are the only one who is losing their sanity over this issue. I have very real legitimate counters to one person's justifications for storage.

To be frank, the only one being abusive is you!

A civil response would have been preferred. If you would care to go back to my post you will see that I addressed a specific set of scenarios that another poster had submitted. At no time did I mention anything regarding cheating, and to pre-empt your next caustic response, I didn't mention anything about exploits either.

I did not scream 'no no no', you are the only one who is losing their sanity over this issue. I have very real legitimate counters to one person's justifications for storage.

To be frank, the only one being abusive is you!

Funny. I thought my response was civilized. I could just as easily accuse you of trolling. I was also not caustic (clearly your opinion) and I'm definitely not losing my sanity over a video game. That appears to be exclusive to a portion of the players who have jumped in here screaming about cheating, exploits, gold sellers, etc while not giving any credit to those who who have addressed those concerns in previous postings. You'd think we were asking them to self destruct all their ships and forfeit all their credits.

Many of us play video games to escape the real world and have fun online yet it's amazing how many people want to restrict the game, despite all the concessions that the "storage" group is even willing to accept for a small convenience. It's mind-boggling that we've been storing things since we've had caves 1000s of years ago yet 1000+ years into the future, we don't store anything?

Many of us play video games to escape the real world and have fun online yet it's amazing how many people want to restrict the game,

And one of the interesting things about games we play to escape the real world is that they don't follow the rules that apply to the real world, they have rules of their own. For instance I really don't like games where I have to spend ages playing around with my inventory because I need to get this stored away and there's not enough room, so I have to decide what I want, what I don't want, where to sell what I don't want and etc.

Fortunately ED does away with that by simply not allowing us to store stuff, perfect solution.

It makes me wonder why people play games to "get away from the real world" then demand that the game be as much like the real world as possible.

Top Bottom