I know it's been asked for before but please..........some form of storage!

Original post is below but this thread is easily summed up by quoting CMDR Soron Silin,:
Innovator: I want a balcony on my penthouse suite
Mob: That's incredibly dangerous. You'll fall off.
Innovator: You may have a point. I shall put a railing around the balcony.
Mob: But small children may squeeze through the railing and fall off.
Innovator: I don't have any small children, but I shall make the uprights close enough together that not even a cat could squeeze through.
Mob: That's incredibly dangerous. You'll fall off.
:rolleyes::LOL:

Basically, many of us would like storage. Others complain we're idiots that do not know how to play because they're such amazing players, that they would never need storage, so nobody else should have it. Numerous examples have been given as to why storage would help and others have complained we'll just use that to cheat. So naturally, we've countered with numerous of concessions and restrictions that could be implemented but CMDRs who have attained the level of elite stubbornness, couldn't care less. They just keep arguing that we'll cheat. That's pretty much their entire argument. Even if it's configured so you can't cheat, somehow they claim we will but CAN NOT tell us exactly how.

======================================================================
Can we PLEASE finally have the ability to store inventory in stations instead of being forced to drag it around with us? There's few things more annoying than docking with a full transport and wanting to switch ships, such as something with more jump range, only to be told you can't because your cargo won't fit into the smaller ship.

How about leaving it in the ship or even the ability to transfer the cargo if we want, to another ship. Give us SOME options here. It's VERY unrealistic and it's probably the only drawback that kills this game for me. Being forced to sell or dump cargo is annoying or being forced to lug it around then getting killed is even more annoying.

Everyone talks about how storage could be exploited but there's solutions to the big concern of filling up ships and transferring them someplace else. Well, how about only store items in stations and prevent the transfer of any ship that has cargo in it.

Can we stop crying about market manipulation? It's just a game, for crying out loud. If it affects our little ED marketplace, then so be it. We're playing a video game. Not altering the New York Stock Exchange. The prices don't appeal to you? Fly someplace else or STORE IT until it's to your liking. SMH

Last edited:
If I can move items between two cars on my drive way then you should be able to move items to another of your ships at the same dock. Simple logic, yes in PP you could exploit it but if it can be done in 2019 it can be done in the year 3304.
Yeah, but you can't then remotely call your car to you and unload it somewhere else, can you? Though maybe in 2025 ;)

OTOH Limpets should stay with the ship

Space stations have regulations in place that require all ships in storage be empty of all forign materials.

*blink

I think storage would be a terrible idea.

As for the driveway analogy, it's more like a long term storage facility and most of those, last time I checked, require you to take everything out of a vehicle you are putting in storage.

Transfer between ships is exploitable because you can prepare multiple loads and call them to a single destination.

However, storage at the station itself I don't see any exploits for, as you can only load up the ship you're flying away in.

It could work similar to iCloud storage across multiple Apple devices, so if you have an (optional) subscription, then you have storage available at any station or port you dock at with any of your ships. Cancelling your subscription, or failing to pay your subscription fee will result in a forfeit of all cargo you have stored at all stations, after a short grace period.

Importantly, transferring cargo from one station to another remotely as you'd do with a ship should obviously not be an option.

I've never recalled a ship to where I am so didn't think of that.

But saying that I would like to be able to say swap from my cutter to a smaller ship if I've got cargo, like when you are in a large ship and a Mission to rank up is for a Medium ship.

I would want to be able to move ships, complete the mission and either have the ability to move any cargo I'm carrying to to the smaller ship upon moving to the small ship (IF) it has at least the same amount of space free, and move the missions I've already accepted to do to the new ship. Or be able to do the mission and pick up the larger ship again with its cargo and missions still intact.

I've never recalled a ship to where I am so didn't think of that.

But saying that I would like to be able to say swap from my cutter to a smaller ship if I've got cargo, like when you are in a large ship and a Mission to rank up is for a Medium ship.

I would want to be able to move ships, complete the mission and either have the ability to move any cargo I'm carrying to to the smaller ship upon moving to the small ship (IF) it has at least the same amount of space free, and move the missions I've already accepted to do to the new ship. Or be able to do the mission and pick up the larger ship again with its cargo and missions still intact.

Transferring cargo from the ship you docked with to the ship you're switching to (provided the cargo hold allows it), should be allowed. To make this more feasible, it should be made possible to change outfitting options for any of your stored ships at that station without switching to them first. That way you could install the required cargo racks before switching ships, and have your cargo moved across.

Transferring cargo from the ship you docked with to the ship you're switching to (provided the cargo hold allows it), should be allowed. To make this more feasible, it should be made possible to change outfitting options for any of your stored ships at that station without switching to them first. That way you could install the required cargo racks before switching ships, and have your cargo moved across.

Yes, being able to reconfigure a non active ship in order to give it cargo space would seem to be a sensible compromise here.

Yeah, but you can't then remotely call your car to you and unload it somewhere else, can you? Though maybe in 2025 ;)

Actually you can; there are sveral agencies, organizations and individuals who will pick up your car and take it to you, or wherever you want for a fee. If you're currently storing your car in a long term storage garage (a situation similar to the stations in ED), it's even easier as someone on premises will have a key.

If I can move items between two cars on my drive way then you should be able to move items to another of your ships at the same dock. Simple logic, yes in PP you could exploit it but if it can be done in 2019 it can be done in the year 3304.
You can, but only when you change vehicles... any excess cargo needs to be sold/dumped which is not that unreasonable.

I see no legitimacy to the OP's request - we do not need cargo storage, and in all likely hood it would be exploited in some way to work around other reasonable limitations or to try to game the system in some way.

Last edited:
In fact it appears twice in the first 5 posts on this page at the moment.

That wasn't meant the way you think, if there is a thread on the same subject 3 posts away from yours you shouldn't be starting a new thread. The number of identical threads doesn't indicate the popularity of an idea, just that a small subset of the community keep spamming the same subject endlessly.

Maybe when we get to build our own personal bases we may have a chance to do that as we won't be able to exploit the system that much if at all, if they are not attached to the BGS and commodities market that is.

You can, but only when you change vehicles... any excess cargo needs to be sold/dumped which is not that unreasonable.

I see no legitimacy to the OP's request - we do not need cargo storage, and in all likely hood it would be exploited in some way to work around other reasonable limitations or to try to game the system in some way.

You're entitled to your opinion but clearly many disagree with you. You say there's no legitimacy to our request, despite all the examples given. Maybe YOU have no use for it but I very much dislike that I cannot do something as simple as to stop mining to go help a friend, without being forced to sell all my minerals because switching to my vulture (which has 0 cargo space) is not allowed. So I'm be forced to dump or sell immediately and I'd most likely be somewhere with crappy sell prices.

Many of us see no legitimacy to NOT allowing us to do something so simple as to store items at a station. EVERYTHING can be exploited to varying extents but it's safe to say that just being able to store cargo at a station has very minimal risk. If we're going to "protect" us all from every possible exploit, then don't even bother playing. The game is Elite Dangerous, yet some want to play in some protective bubble where nothing bad can ever happen? ED is not supposed to be a "Safe Space".

Also, I would think there would be alternate ways of preventing exploits than to just restrict this entirely. Like perhaps you can't transport a ship that contains cargo. Or maybe it's a roll of the dice that if you do, your ship gets exploded by pirates along the way... lol.

Top Bottom