I like 2.4/The hate is sad.

I like 2.4,

It is a good update and many problems have been fixed. The improvements to the inbox are also very nice. And it is good to see that the story of the game developes although it does it a bit slow since it is in 'real-time'.

To be fair there is one thing I did not like about 2.4, it is that I have still to wait for the Type-10 [big grin]

Okay there is another thing I do not like about 2.4... and it is some whining -redacted- on the forums.

The people at Frontier worked/work most likely very hard on Elite: Dangerous and from what I can tell they do put a lot of passion and effort into what they are doing.
They even come to the forums from time to time to answer questions, a thing some other developers would not even consider doing.

And the sad part is that -as far as i know the developers wanted to visit the forums more after 2.4 being live- they are being greeted by being -redacted- on by some issue compensating wannabes* that write stuff like:

Incompetence!
Idiots!
Can't you develop a game?!
What is this !
That is easy!
You don't know what the hell you are doing!
How stupid are you devs?!
Even I could do better than that!

--

Reading all through the recent hate- I am somewhat glad that I don't work at Frontier because putting so much effort into a game just to visit a forum where the civilized feedback is being overshadowed by: U stupid!!!11!1. Is just sad.

Some people are either too stupid or dont want to think about why things are how they are instead they just let their anger out and then demand, after being hostile towards the developers, that they come here and answer them like some kids would an angry kindergarten teacher after they did something wrong.

For example:
FDev nerfed the AX Missiles.
Why?
Because they want the Thargoids to be a challenge that adapts to us players so we can have a challenge besides the ordinary PvE.
But why not buff the Thargoids?
Because buffing them would mean that at some point the missiles would need a buff too or a better stronger weapon would be released.
And then people would cry because 'them damn' AX weapons are better for PvP than the others.
But why don't they make special anti Thargoid damage that only works against Thargoids?
Because Lore-wise it would not be of much sense that the AX weapons do 0 damage against human ships and because somthing like isn't being programmed by two guys in one night.
-At least this is what I think the reason is.

Also if some of you are 'mad' because some things can only be done with other players... well then you shouldn't have bought an MMO.
SPOILER ALERT: One of the M's in MMO stands for Multiplayer.

I understand that some are angry but those who are adults should at least be civilized or diplomatic enough to say what they think with at least some manners.

If I got something wrong or did not see, tell me, thats why I posted it here.

---
Edit:

"some issue compensating wannabes" With that I mean the "I know how it is done!" and "That ain't too hard to do!" kind of people that seem to think that they know what is best for the game without even having entered a game development studio in their live and neither have ever programmed a game.

"issue compensating" With that I mean the people that seem to try to compensate personal problems a bit with -redacted- on the developers and other people using the forums in a negative way.

-redacted- I did not use words that would be worth redacting (In my opinion) but instead used "-redacted-" in their place because if I used swear words they would have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear in mind some are making good arguments hidden behind clumsy rhetoric.

Must be quite a challenge for FD to try and filter it all to find the really useful stuff underneath. But overall, imho, they do a top job. In the main they deliver well thought through and nuanced content.

We all have different expectations for the game and it can't be all things to all people. But FD have to find the best compromise in every circumstance. The true test is whether they earn a proportionate return. So far would seem they do.

Aps.

The way they implemented the AX change is stupid,it legit looks like they did it because people were too competent killing thargoids.They should probably have players who know the game test it, the devs I saw on livestreams all fly in cobra and t6,and are terrible at the game.

You realise that is intentional right? Like James May on top gear, the lovable one that is hopeless and all, not to dissuade casual players etc

The way they implemented the AX change is stupid,it legit looks like they did it because people were too competent killing thargoids.They should probably have players who know the game test it, the devs I saw on livestreams all fly in cobra and t6,and are terrible at the game.

Tomaslus is spot on, the way the change was implemented is amateur at best. Hire people to test this stuff properly, stop making it up as you go along. If it was always planned that the Thargoids will adapt, don't post changes like that in a patch log, keep it part of the story line.

Personally I couldn't give a damn, however the devs surely know that the forum has a large group of hardcore OCD players that will rip all the hard work to shreds if they keep slipping up like this.

For the bulk of the fan base and ED casual gamer it is a non issue, they won't visit the forums feverishly scanning every bit of text from the patch notes, they'll eventually found out the Thargoids adapted via Galnet or through their own experiences in-game.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what threads you read. I haven't read anywhere near as much bile as your OP outlines. On the whole I'd say people are interested in 2.4 so far with of course the usual handbag fights over making money in the new update. The busy bodies whining about how others should make money happens after every single update without fail.

2.4 has been good for me so far.

I must confess I've tended to skim over all the AX weapon complaints - so they re-balanced the AX weapons a bit, big fat hairy deal. Weapon re-balancing happens all the time in MMO's, are people seriously not willing to accept this yet? (hell, they even had the pizzazz to write a Galnet article that provided a lore explanation for it, how many other software companies would do that?).

Thanks FD, don't let the haters darken your hearts!

+1 OP.

The vast majority of gamers have no clue about the development process and even less about the planning that goes on before hand and yet they all try to sound like experts yet end up looking like the un-informed people they are - Harsh but true.

I've found a few others like myself that have proven via there posts content that they are in the industry, these are the people i listen to and take note of at times like these. Was 2.4 perfect? No. Will it be a great memory as we move into the future... Only time will tell and not enough of that has passed yet to give a fair and balanced judgement of the current state of the game. Yet every judge judy wannbe is here with their opinions - Which are of course valid points to raise but to then berate FD and call them names shows the level of maturity we are forced to deal with.

I guess it depends on what threads you read. I haven't read anywhere near as much bile as your OP outlines. On the whole I'd say people are interested in 2.4 so far with of course the usual handbag fights over making money in the new update. The busy bodies whining about how others should make money happens after every single update without fail.

Oh there's quite a bit of bile regarding the changes to the AX missles

I think it's a case of doing the right thing the wrong way

If they buffed the Goids ships, i bet no one would bat an eye. But decrease the weapon power,keep the enemy the same and give a reason of "they're adapting" and everyone loses their collective minds

But, mind you FDev prob didn't think about how players just don't play by THEIR rules, players make their own

I'm not fussed about these new changes, actually makes sense. The Thargoids were supposed to be tough, makes sense that a weapon can kill them, but would require effort and teamwork

+1 on OP. Though admitting the AX missile thing is a bit sad, 2.4 is a great update and FD clearly put a lot of work and passion into it. Just look at how complex the Thargoids were modelled with all their staged means of defenses, weapons and all. They look just gorgeous in VR, not to mention the sound. Now we're back to lets say last Thursday when Thargoids were unkillable yet, and that's about it. It's not the end of the world.

IMHO it was not the wisest of choices to nerf the AX missiles all in a sudden, reducing their effectiveness by factor 5 instead of 50 might well have sufficed, another nerf might have then been applied at a later time, and it should have previously announced in a Galnet article to inform the playerbase that the Goids get increasingly resilient now. Possibly, we were not meant to kill them in such masses right from the start, and there have been at least partly justified claims that they were too "easy". I personally stopped killing them after 2 days because I got an increasingly bad conscience about killing something that was obviously not aggressive.

That said, it's a learning curve for FD as well and they surely are not happy with how things turned out this far, but I didn't give up hope or trust in the future development of the game, and we all possibly should be a little more forgiving. ED still is the greatest space game there is so far, period. YMMV.

My 2 cents & O7,
[noob]

Last edited:
I believe the central issue is testing. As others noted, likely an NDA test phase should be implemented with specific invitees from the community. This would allow a holistic approach to reviewing the software before public or perhaps even beta release. Obviously, the community is interested, as they actually "paid" to access the betas; however, that access does not appear to tie to true test/resolution of defects.

Thus, the recommendation is for the Frontier QA team to devise a community NDA testing program which works closely with the DEV team to ensure clean software for paid "beta" testing and eventual public release. As noted, the community has the best game play experience and likely there would be many folks willing to participate if the invite was provided.

Overall I like it too. Some of the nerfs are too severe. Update 2.4 still needs something major like Thargoid capital ships, epic space battles, a bubble with Thargoid stations that would be cool.

I am reminded of the enormous forum storm around the delayed release. What was it... two or three days later than originally stated, and the delay properly communicated to everyone.

The forum reaction was much the same as now, overblown, nonsensical, hysterical and full of abuse and accusations.

I am all with you OP. I am enjoying this game a lot.

I think, nerfs and buffs should be communicated completely through GalNet and left out of the Patch Notes in the future to avoid situations like this. Numbers should be left out completely.
Since we all have a voice on the web, information is always part politics and has to delivered with a careful portion of rhetorics. A waste of precious resources in my opinion.

Top Bottom