I mean just come on PSVR! Or tell me no once and for all!

computer says "NO", much that I'd love it...

... especially galling, since No Man's Sky just announced full VR support in the next update

This excites me, and I don't even own PSVR anymore!

The Trailer is Awsome! Will sure dust off my PSVR and might have me grab a AIM controller if they support it ( with Hotas, AIM and Move support in combination this would endlessly rock the planet :) )

Just in Time to bridge the gap of DW2 ending Q2.19 and ED 2.0 releasing in late 2020! I hope they finally make up their and grab part of the sales 4.2 Million users might make! I well might rurn my back on NMS again like I did with release of ED on PS4 in the first place.

From all back the time of original Elite I did not wish more then really being immersed in the fiction and NMS is so close to that...

Who really cares about how „unrealistic“ and „unrealistic“ Flight Model is anyway...

We are flying WW2 grade Cockpit Systems in a 34 Centrury Spacecraft do we :)

Last edited:
Having seen the nms trailer for psvr, I am finding it extremely hard to believe that elite can't be done even on base ps4, let alone pro. We will see exactly in a few months how psvr nms performs, but I am damn glad I never traded it in...

Call me Mr Cynical, but I have doubts the base PS4 can run ED at 60fps (reprojected to 120) without dropping, hence it blocks PSVR for the Pro as well.

No Man's Sky will be interesting to see what they do, and do not do, in PSVR. And multiplayer as well.

Here's the announcements in case anyone missed it:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RpKmuRX0CM

Call me Mr Cynical, but I have doubts the base PS4 can run ED at 60fps (reprojected to 120) without dropping, hence it blocks PSVR for the Pro as well.

No Man's Sky will be interesting to see what they do, and do not do, in PSVR. And multiplayer as well.

Here's the announcements in case anyone missed it:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RpKmuRX0CM

According so Sean:
[B]Sean Murray[/B]‏Verified account @[B]NoMansSky[/B] Mar 25

"No Man's Sky Virtual Reality is not a separate mode. Anything that is possible in NEXT or any other update is ready and waiting in VR."

And the VR development was just a part of the all, it's not the sole reason of this another Free Huge Patch:

[B]Sean Murray[/B]‏Verified account @[B]NoMansSky[/B] Mar 26
"No Man’s Sky BEYOND, a major free chapter, coming Summer 2019.
With three updates in one:
1) No Man's Sky Online
2) No Man's Sky Virtual Reality
3) ?
We're working out butts off on something special More Info soon"

I still can't understand why Elite Dangerous is so heavy on the graphic processing.

To me the hardest asset to render is the planet when it fits entirely inside the screen at medium distance. Besides that there is no "hi poly count" to render.

The PS4 is capable to render the Horizon Zero Down far distances (you can see movement at huge far distances), the complexity of God of War and now now the fly through in Anthem.
No Man's Sky was a game I was hopeless on seeing it in VR due its mathematical complexity to generate terrains and still with full vegetation and animals (I won't even mention Texture Tesselation here, dam its beaultifull).

To solve the ED planet complexity to render can't it just the Dynamic LevelOfDetal be tweeked?

Seeing from outer space the TRUE planet terrain and landing on a cliff that you saw from there is really awesome, but its heavy.

To me, having VR in EDangerous would be biggest news I would like to hear in the future. So big as having Atmospheric Planets that is FAR more complex to develop than refactoring the code to allow VR.

Well I'll be waiting on that......I've been dissapointed with almost everything except Farpoint so far.

Really? I've enjoyed a bunch of PSVR games, some have been limited by control schemes (Moves not having sticks), or resolution, but some have worked around the limits of everything and have been fantastic experiences, IMO obviously.

• The Persistence (nailed FPS rogue-like)
  • Firewall Zero Hour (online only sometimes annoying, would have been great with Rainbow Six Vegas campaign and terrorist hunt)
  • Wipeout
  • DOOM VFR (moves were terrible though)
  • Superhot VR
  • Star Trek Bridgecrew (although needs a good team to really get the immersion)
  • Battlezone (great for a launch game, best solo)

I think when PSVR is done well, and you're in the mood it's fantastic. Like Ultrawings, which I liked in doses, but the game-structure was weird, and ultimately very repetitive mission loop.
If Hello Games can revamp the flight model, and have more to do in your ship, it may kill Elite for me.

The PS4 is capable to render the Horizon Zero Down far distances (you can see movement at huge far distances), the complexity of God of War and now now the fly through in Anthem.

Gameplay in God of War is tightly squeezed between a ton of invisible walls, it looks great from one angle, it would be garbage from another, but the player / camera never gets there so the end result looks amazing. It's quite easy to optimize for a very specific user flow. In Elite there's very little the engine can assume as to what it might end up having to render, so the solutions within must be very generic. I understand this is a hard position to be in from the point of view of the developer. Still, I do find the rendering performance on PS4 Pro rather unimpressive.

No Man's Sky was a game I was hopeless on seeing it in VR due its mathematical complexity to generate terrains and still with full vegetation and animals (I won't even mention Texture Tesselation here, dam its beaultifull).

Can't fully agree here. I agree on the part I also didn't expect to see NMS on VR because consumer VR is still mostly in the phase of cheap-to-develop minigames and low hanging fruit conversions of ageing titles (I love Skyrim, it's the game I've played the most in my life, but come on, in VR you can really tell the texture resolution is very much up to 2011 standards) .

I disagree on the part on mathematical complexity being a bottleneck for rendering. Generalizing a bit, 90% of rendering goes to

1) Moving data around, and
2) Shading pixels.

Procgen can actually help you there if you utilize shaders heavily, transfer fewer gigabytes of static data around per second, and generate details programmatically on the GPU instead. And the cost of shading pixels can be mitigated a lot if you don't commit to full photorealism, which NMS certainly doesn't (and I respect them for that! Photorealism is not the endgame for graphics IMO but that's another discussion altogether). NMS has chosen a specific style and apparently stereo rendering didn't turn out to be a problem for them.

Call me Mr Cynical, but I have doubts the base PS4 can run ED at 60fps (reprojected to 120) without dropping, hence it blocks PSVR for the Pro as well

Yes if the game ran unaltered but they could (as nearly all psvr games do) run at lower resolution/geometry levels.

If Frontier can't manage it and nms nails it, then I think that will be the final confirmation that the cobra engine is not the future for elite.

2020 would give time for a new engine to be in place if they've already started.... ;)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Guys, while I share your frustration, please keep the discussion to Elite Dangerous and wanting PSVR. This thread is starting to become a talking shop for PSVR and as much as I love PSVR and like you am excited for NMS VR please keep it on-topic.

/mod hat off

My gut feeling is that the Cobra Engine is very heavy on graphics architecture it struggles even in normal non VR on my PS4 Pro at times and its not 2160p like NMS is, its not fluid. NMS can deliver much more consistent frame rates, its a totally different graphics engine.

My gut feeling is that the Cobra Engine is very heavy on graphics architecture it struggles even in normal non VR on my PS4 Pro at times and its not 2160p like NMS is, its not fluid. NMS can deliver much more consistent frame rates, its a totally different graphics engine.

And those flickering shadows and moire patterns (EBL) in VR would probably kill me :p

I still can't understand why Elite Dangerous is so heavy on the graphic processing.

My guess is it's because ED is a very late port to PS4. Had Frontier started ED, specifically the Cobra engine, with the PS4 in mind, rather than take a PC / XBox game and adapt it years later, then I think it would be look and perform much better. Ironically it's not utilizing the full hardware capability of the PS4 - I've tested ED against other games, and it consumes noticeably less power than other AAA titles, which is a direct correlation to processor utilization. I've told Frontier more than once to flip the switch for higher-quality shadows on base PS4, because it can handle it.

NMS, on the other hand, was created for PS4 first, not last.

I'm glad even though there was early talk about ED working on PS4, they prioritized the PC (and Mac) versions from the start since the Elite franchise had been traditionally a pc oriented spacesim line rather than a port from a console catered version. The vision, complexity and scope of the game in it's particular bar-setting niche would probably be lost on a console oriented publisher. (HG's NMS would seem like a spacesim pioneer but their space background only pretends at best while ED maintains modeled systems and the galaxy. ) A worst case would have been Egosoft's X-Rebirth which was seen as a poorly converted pc port from an initial console failure effort(never released), where Egosoft gave up on console plans and returned to PC-only with X4 after a long delay. The PS4 port of ED seemed to be a challenge as Frontier was new to PS4 true, but it was still a major committed conversion effort which delayed the progress of Horizons imo, while FD worked on finishing the port a year or so later than generally expected. Sure, the PS4 and PS4 slim probably can handle an option flip for higher quality shadows, but maybe it could be the case where PS4-slim lines were not as streamlined and uniform as the regular PS4 and PS4Pro, where maybe PS4-slim makes could consist of different hardware(maybe even outsourced generics), where FD tried to fix the EBL for the PS4-slim but it only worked for a set of PS4-slim factory makes and not some others. Anyways, I think it's preferable Frontier continues as they'd done so tradionally where the PC is the primary dev protopying as consoles will always be restricted to a limited uniform hardware configuration. (And why should Frontier change their whole dev ethos and structure for one ps4-slim make? when the majority of ps4 cmdrs are fine with and enjoying the game as ported? :unsure:) That they were able to port the majesty of ED to Xbox1 and PS4 (and initially Mac) as well as they did is an achievement as a smaller rising independent publisher. (https://metro.co.uk/2017/07/07/elite-dangerous-ps4-review-everymans-sky-6761108/)

Last edited:
Rep to you sir, very cogent although I didn't miss that sly dig at consoles with the master race PC Slytherin jibe. Console publishers are not dim witted, and not without some skill and there are some fabulous titles out there that, in terms of depth and scope, are as good as any other title on any other desktop platform. Likewise over the years I have played some truly dreadful PC games. SO its isn't a generic PC / PS / XBOX issue here really; it is, as you say, first and foremost a PC game made to fit a console and not the other way around and yes, as a result, the PS and XBOX will always be the sloppy second cousins in the developers minds. I would say, if I were cynical by nature, that the consoles were tagged on as a great way to make a few extra click bucks on vanity products without having to do too much to accomodate them, other than a fast and dirty port - but then I don't know squat about either PC or console game development.

The rule is even more simpler than that... if the game uses a serious cross platform engine like e.g. Unity the developer can focus on the game design and all Version run close to optimum on any platform. If you chose to go with a native engine you face the hurdle of porting that as well and since that does not generate sales in the first place and it is not your main bussines these often get no love at all. I hoped it would get better with more „Cobra Engine“ Games on PS4 but still.... nothing...

Top Bottom