I miss Sandro and his engaging betas

I believe I've participated to varying degrees in every beta Elite Dangerous has has had.

People say that Frontier doesn't listen and learn from betas and looking back, this seems to me to be largely true.

BUT, Frontier has actually on one or maybe two of the betas which I view I view as the best the game has had. One of the betas which was very productive was the one which, among other things, overhauled engineering. During the beta we helped turned a monstrously bad redesign of engineering which would have been worse than the original engineering mess into something quite good.

During that beta, Frontier gave structure to the beta and listened better than they ever have. It was a low bar to beat, but I credit Sandro Sammarco for that. I often ask myself if he left Elite Dangerous because he listened too much?

Yes, yes I know that some people really didn't like Sandro at that time either, but I kind of wonder if some of them might want him back now!

Anyway, I hope Frontier will treat their unpaid testers with the respect and heed Sandro showed in these coming betas.

I, for one, miss Sandro compared with what we have now!

Last edited:
And Dav still needs more training for the space loach role.

He has not quite got the facial expression right as yet.

I look forward to seeing him move onto the next stage once he does master the look, and draping himself over Stephens neck.

I wasn't specifically disrespecting Dav. He's a very smart guy.

I don't really care about Sandro's loach gimmick or if Dav comes out in a clown outfit next.

I just liked that Sandro genuinely cared what the testers collectively thought and I believe he made the game somewhere better than it would have been because of it.

Last edited:
I miss Ed.
Yes, I miss Ed also. Ed was genuine too. I had a big laugh when this current crew over played there excitement about this release. It was a "wee bit" too "massive" to be believable!
When they all sat back and looked pleased at the ONE THING which moves in this release; the reheated three year old carrier (cap ship) jump sequence; I just lost it.

Last edited:
I wasn't specifically disrespecting Dav. He's a very smart guy.

I meant no disrepect to Dav.

It was merely a humourous comment, lampooning the past and applying it to the present.

I would hope he actually finds the thought of draping himself over Stephens neck funny.

I do not know the man, but I have the impression from listening to him that he has a very good sense of humour, alongside his other talents.

Pining for past team members and insulting the current really isn't constructive for anyone.

Frontier have made the decisions they have, whether that is how betas are run, skeletal feature team delivering the current releases or whatever. As consumers, we either vote with our wallets (and time) or we suck it up and deal with it.

I met him at LaveCon, he is a really nice guy... good fun
in fact all of the fdev people were, so normal and down to earth...

Dav was fine as always, the other guy though was way to cool for school, and stephen was making everything sound like it was way more unfathomable and complex than it actually was.. nothing personal, i mean measured in terms of the new stuff and what's in elite now.

Its actually quite basic.. the amazing expanses of gameplay depth that will flow like a waterfall from the carrier thrusters really doesn't seem that way.

Dav was fine as always, the other guy though was way to cool for school, and stephen was making everything sound like it was way more unfathomable and complex than it actually was.. nothing personal, i mean measured in terms of the new stuff and what's in elite now.

Its actually quite basic.. the amazing expanses of gameplay depth that will flow like a waterfall from the carrier thrusters really doesn't seem that way.
LOL! thought the same!
All I heard from Steven was basically this: .... massive ... wee bit ... massive ... wee bit ... massive ...
It was a wee bit annoying!

OP does sound a little as though it's a slight against the current crop of FD frontliners compared with the previous, but I think it's more a case of FD's priorities and methods having shifted over the years and those shifts corresponding with changes in personnel. Correlation rather than causation.

I too miss the interactions with some of the old guard, but I'm also willing to acknowledge that even if they were still around there's no guarantee that we'd have the same level of interaction and feedback that we once enjoyed. The nature of the beast has changed.

Having said that, if I had to single out an individual for having largely dropped off the radar -- and I like to think it's a puzzled observation rather than an actual criticism, although some will no doubt interpret it as such -- it would be David Braben himself. Given the passion he carried for Elite for nearly 40 years, and especially the enthusiasm with which he embraced the Elite: Dangerous project in the years immediately following 2012, I'm surprised by the low profile he keeps these days. While I understand that he's a busy man, possibly busier than he's been in his whole life, his almost complete absence from all things ED seems at odds with the former enthusiasm. Elite was his "baby", and to me it's odd for someone to ignore their firstborn for so long.

His is a presence I miss, not necessarily because of anything he did or said, but simply because he was here.

OP does sound a little as though it's a slight against the current crop of FD frontliners compared with the previous, but I think it's more a case of FD's priorities and methods having shifted over the years and those shifts corresponding with changes in personnel. Correlation rather than causation.

I too miss the interactions with some of the old guard, but I'm also willing to acknowledge that even if they were still around there's no guarantee that we'd have the same level of interaction and feedback that we once enjoyed. The nature of the beast has changed.

Having said that, if I had to single out an individual for having largely dropped off the radar -- and I like to think it's a puzzled observation rather than an actual criticism, although some will no doubt interpret it as such -- it would be David Braben himself. Given the passion he carried for Elite for nearly 40 years, and especially the enthusiasm with which he embraced the Elite: Dangerous project in the years immediately following 2012, I'm surprised by the low profile he keeps these days. While I understand that he's a busy man, possibly busier than he's been in his whole life, his almost complete absence from all things ED seems at odds with the former enthusiasm. Elite was his "baby", and to me it's odd for someone to ignore their firstborn for so long.

His is a presence I miss, not necessarily because of anything he did or said, but simply because he was here.
Nah, just being too salty because crap is king in this forum.
I do miss Braben too though.
Wakeup.. He has been gone for what? Three years

:KeepLookingForward: :DontLiveInThePast:
Who waved the wand an made you think your Tony Robbins! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom