I need some help/input/ideas regarding the throttle and thruster controls on the DS4

Hello everyone, I could use some help, ideas or input from all you fine people.

I am using the PS4 controller and I am quite happy with most of its controls and have no intention of buying the HOTAS. But one aspect irks me: The throttle and thrust controls in combat.

Just for comparison, these are the default PS4 controller mappings:

• L1/R1: Throttle down/up, continuously.
  • L2/R2: Fire hardpoints.
  • L3: Switch normal and alternative controls.
  • R3: Toggle headlook.
  • Right stick: Thrust up/down, yaw left/right.
  • Right stick (alternative controls): Thrust up/down, thrust left/right.

Now, while flying in combat, shooting and speeding up/down, I find it quite cumbersome to always switch fingers between L1, L2 and R1, R2.

Did you change your throttle controls? I tried the following changes, which actually work pretty well in combat, but once I need to do some more precise flying like a landing then the throttle controls are way too rough:

• R3: Set throttle to 50%.
  • L1/R1: Decrease/increase throttle in -/+25% intervals.

This means I only need to click R3 once to set throttle smack down in the blue center for maximum maneuverability and only need to tap R1 or L1 once or twice to fly a bit faster/slower or with maximum speed or come to a halt. And it works pretty nice in supercruise because you only need to tap L1 once to set the throttle down to 75%, which is right in the middle of the blue section in supercruise. But as I said, this works pretty good in combat, but not when for example trying to land or trying to fly really slow.

Next I will try to keep R3 as "set throttle to 50%" but return L1/R1 to its continuous default setting, but I don't think this is ideal.

As for the thrusters I usually click L3 in combat to switch to alternate controls, so that the right stick completely controls the up/down and left/right thrusts. Which is okay, but it irks me a little that I always have to switch between normal and alternative controls, because landing without yaw is a bit rubbish.

So, my question to all you who use the DS4 controller: Did you change your throttle or thrust settings? Do you have any ideas or tips? Ideally I would want to switch fingers in combat as little as possible.

Well I’m not into PvP combat so can’t tell you if my controls are good for that but I used to play a lot of Battlefield and so i changed my controls to similar to flying a chopper in that.

L1/R1 = Thrust Down/Up
L2/R2 = Fire 2/1
Left Stick Up/Down = Throttle Up/Down
Left Stick Left/Right = Turn Left/Right
Right Stick Up/Down = Pitch Down/Up
Right Stick Left/Right = Roll Left/Right

L3 is alternate control and R3 is headlook

I’m not saying these are good or anything they just work for me and I can control the speed in combat as well without using all the L and R buttons.

I've always found incremental 25% throttle control on L1 R1 works best for me on both xbox and ps4.

I think of it more like changing gear tbh :)

during the spoken frameshift countdown I knock it down three clicks to arrive at the star at perfect scoop speed, two clicks if I'm in a hurry and four clicks to to arrive at a dead stop to scan.

Two clicks from full throttle at seven seconds to get into the blue for stations etc etc.

Works for me o7 :)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I've always found incremental 25% throttle control on L1 R1 works best for me on both xbox and ps4.

I think of it more like changing gear tbh :)

during the spoken frameshift countdown I knock it down three clicks to arrive at the star at perfect scoop speed, two clicks if I'm in a hurry and four clicks to to arrive at a dead stop to scan.

Two clicks from full throttle at seven seconds to get into the blue for stations etc etc.

Works for me o7 :)

Concur with this, I always use 25% throttle, I also have the d-pad left and down (set to 0% throttle) and up and right (set to 75%). Yes it sometimes messes with your pips if it does not recognise the both pressed together but that's a small price to pay. :)

Concur with this, I always use 25% throttle, I also have the d-pad left and down (set to 0% throttle) and up and right (set to 75%). Yes it sometimes messes with your pips if it does not recognise the both pressed together but that's a small price to pay. :)

Interesting and I am glad to see that I am not the only crazy person who thought about using 25% interval throttle changes. ;)

How does this work out for you guys if you need to fly fairly slow, for example when landing? I tried it once with this setup and needed to always jump between 0% and 25% and sure, I landed safely, but it was kinda annoying.

Heya, I find that most ships have a sort of spongey lag before coming to a complete stop so if you know it takes say 5 meters in your ship before slowing to a stop from 25% then I just try to time it right wile factoring in my ships "Spongey lag"

But hey every landings different and I still boost into the back wall from time to time! 😆

Is there a %age value for the blue zone in Combat? I know 75% works in supercruise, but this doesn't work out in combat as far as I can tell, it's more variable.

Is there a %age value for the blue zone in Combat? I know 75% works in supercruise, but this doesn't work out in combat as far as I can tell, it's more variable.

Not sure what you mean exactly but the center of the blue zone in combat sits at 50%. This is why I was mapping R3 to "set throttle to 50%" to gain maximum maneuverability with just one click.

I grew up playing the X wing/tie fighter series of games on pc which used a similar method for the throttle although it only had three settings. It feels like second nature to me in elite :)

As for slowing down 25% keeps me under 100 in all my ships inside stations although I normally travel faster anyway lol ;) as mentioned above you can throttle up and down quickly to stay within a range and when I deploy landing gear that slows me as well.

As for the blue unless I'm in reverse I'm never more than two quick button presses away.

Did you change your throttle controls? I tried the following changes, which actually work pretty well in combat, but once I need to do some more precise flying like a landing then the throttle controls are way too rough:

• R3: Set throttle to 50%.
  • L1/R1: Decrease/increase throttle in -/+25% intervals.

This means I only need to click R3 once to set throttle smack down in the blue center for maximum maneuverability and only need to tap R1 or L1 once or twice to fly a bit faster/slower or with maximum speed or come to a halt. And it works pretty nice in supercruise because you only need to tap L1 once to set the throttle down to 75%, which is right in the middle of the blue section in supercruise. But as I said, this works pretty good in combat, but not when for example trying to land or trying to fly really slow.

Next I will try to keep R3 as "set throttle to 50%" but return L1/R1 to its continuous default setting, but I don't think this is ideal.

So, my question to all you who use the DS4 controller: Did you change your throttle or thrust settings? Do you have any ideas or tips? Ideally I would want to switch fingers in combat as little as possible.

For landing you can set up landing overrides. These kick in when you deploy landing gear. I map L2/R2 to thrust forward and back. Throttle to 0 when you approach the pad and apply thrust manually.

The only annoying thing is they're digital inputs so it can be a bit stop/full power but am used to it now. You could map to a stick though.

So you could find something that works differently and easier for landing without changing what you like about your combat controls.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
How does this work out for you guys if you need to fly fairly slow, for example when landing? I tried it once with this setup and needed to always jump between 0% and 25% and sure, I landed safely, but it was kinda annoying.

For landing you can set up landing overrides. These kick in when you deploy landing gear. I map L2/R2 to thrust forward and back. Throttle to 0 when you approach the pad and apply thrust manually.

The only annoying thing is they're digital inputs so it can be a bit stop/full power but am used to it now. You could map to a stick though.

So you could find something that works differently and easier for landing without changing what you like about your combat controls.

Yup, Landing Gear Overrides (with gear down) is definitely worth doing in the control config, with this when landing gear is deployed I have the following as I don't need weapon triggers.

L1 Thrust Left
R1 Thrust Right
L2 Thrust Reverse
R2 Thrust Forward

Right Stick Up/Down for Thrust up and Down.

Then I just set throttle to zero as I approach the pad as Herdy, and use full thrust control to land.

Now I wish I had L4 and R4 buttons for triggers with that config for combat.. :)

Makes landing a piece of cake with the DS4.

Last edited:
I moved thrust left / right to L3/R3 and I also have thrust reverse as L3+R3. With an extensive remap of a lot of default controls I now have no need of alternative flight controls and got a lot of the extra functions mapped.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I moved thrust left / right to L3/R3 and I also have thrust reverse as L3+R3. With an extensive remap of a lot of default controls I now have no need of alternative flight controls and got a lot of the extra functions mapped.

Hmm, I have tried a number of configs but have never managed to get everything I wanted in one config.

What do you mean by "thrust reverse as L3+R3"?

Problem I have is similar to the Op.

Getting Pitch / Yaw / Roll and Throttle + / - and Thrust Up / Down / Left / Right / Fwd / Reverse

I just could not find enough buttons on the DS4 so I have everything but forward and reverse thrust on one config. I would very much like to get those on one config but I could not find a way. So dropped thrust fwd / reverse.

Hmm, I have tried a number of configs but have never managed to get everything I wanted in one config.

What do you mean by "thrust reverse as L3+R3"?

Problem I have is similar to the Op.

Getting Pitch / Yaw / Roll and Throttle + / - and Thrust Up / Down / Left / Right / Fwd / Reverse

I just could not find enough buttons on the DS4 so I have everything but forward and reverse thrust on one config. I would very much like to get those on one config but I could not find a way. So dropped thrust fwd / reverse.

I haven't really thought much about the usefulness of thrust forward outside of landing. I guess it could have some usefulness in combat but I've not worked it out yet!

I use the sticks as per the default setup. So pitch and roll on LS and thrust up / down and yaw on RS. Left/ Right thrust becomes digital inputs on L3 and R3. Holding them down together (L3+R3) becomes reverse thrust. Its a little clunky hold pressing the sticks and moving them but it does work. For PVE at least!

I made a spreadsheet to memorise the controls. First time ever for a game! If you remove a function from the face button - my Sq. Tri. And O have no default function. Shift functions work better. At least to me!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tPGfZ6X7mvTsYuK3zLH0BWH5D80/edit?usp=drivesdk

My current landing override is L2/R2 for thrust left/right. It might be an idea to look into this a bit more.

Generally it's the cost which make it prohibited, but if and when you can afford it. The hotas t flight 4, which is presently the only flight stick that will work on a ps4. After switching from the ds4 controlers learning curve to the hotas learning curve is over. Will make you a very happy cmdr.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Generally it's the cost which make it prohibited, but if and when you can afford it. The hotas t flight 4, which is presently the only flight stick that will work on a ps4. After switching from the ds4 controlers learning curve to the hotas learning curve is over. Will make you a very happy cmdr.

The OP was clear he doesn't want to buy a HOTAS.

I use the sticks as per the default setup. So pitch and roll on LS and thrust up / down and yaw on RS. Left/ Right thrust becomes digital inputs on L3 and R3. Holding them down together (L3+R3) becomes reverse thrust. Its a little clunky hold pressing the sticks and moving them but it does work. For PVE at least!

I made a spreadsheet to memorise the controls. First time ever for a game! If you remove a function from the face button - my Sq. Tri. And O have no default function. Shift functions work better. At least to me!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tPGfZ6X7mvTsYuK3zLH0BWH5D80/edit?usp=drivesdk

Yeh I think I had both my sticks pressed to enable FA Off. I had not thought about just mapping reverse thrust. Hmmm

Last edited:
The OP was clear he doesn't want to buy a HOTAS.

Yeh I think I had both my sticks pressed to enable FA Off. I had not thought about just mapping reverse thrust. Hmmm

Forward thrust is perhaps not as critical due to being able to boost and throttle up. IMO anyhow ☺️

I'm still getting to grips with FA off. I struggle even to turn with it. I have it on the face buttons which means taking a thumb off the right stick.

Rear thrust works well for me. I can leave the throttle in a forward position and use rear thrust to 'brake'. Works when closing on a ship with overspeed to drop behind them. Or keep them in view when looping (though this loses distance to them). Then as the throttle is in a forward position releasing reverse returns you to forward motion.

I'm still getting to grips with it though I've only been flying a couple months so as opponents get more difficult it may all have to change!

My current landing override is L2/R2 for thrust left/right. It might be an idea to look into this a bit more.

Yes tweak. Then when you've finished tweaking. Tweak some more. ☺️ I couldn't decide which combo to use for stop and boost. Kept swapping them. That was an interesting week!

It's great how this game has allowed everyone to use their own solutions that work just for them.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Forward thrust is perhaps not as critical due to being able to boost and throttle up. IMO anyhow ☺️

I'm still getting to grips with FA off. I struggle even to turn with it. I have it on the face buttons which means taking a thumb off the right stick.

Rear thrust works well for me. I can leave the throttle in a forward position and use rear thrust to 'brake'. Works when closing on a ship with overspeed to drop behind them. Or keep them in view when looping (though this loses distance to them). Then as the throttle is in a forward position releasing reverse returns you to forward motion.

I'm still getting to grips with it though I've only been flying a couple months so as opponents get more difficult it may all have to change!

Yeh, its a really good tip to be honest as a breaking mechanism. I might give it a go, will need to find another bind for FA Off though, LOL.

FA Off depends a lot on ship for me, I find something like the FDL a real pain as it seems to stall and do all kinds of weird stuff with throttle/speed. I then tried it in a Corvette and FA Off worked fantastically for turning.

My only other issue as I mentioned earlier on the DS4 is maintaining throttle when flicking FA back on as usually my ship (FDL worse) has come to a complete stop or lost all momentum, I guess a couple of clicks of throttle up and boost might compensate. Practice I guess.

I have been trying to fight more Elite NPCs lately and I still pretty much get out turned by them, its very difficult to dog fight them, with anything upto Expert you can usually stick like glue to their rear engines but the higher rated NPCs it just becomes a face off, who has the strongest shields. Not as much fun for me.

I really need to go back to basics of the combat and watch some videos.

Adapting the DS4 to Elite ranked NPCs seems hard in 1v1 fights, I don't think it would actually become "easy" with the HOTAS tbh.

Has anyone ever tried the "Yaw into Roll" settings? I thought about having a play with them at some point to potentially release a stick but can't imagine its good enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom