I now require an Idiot's Guide to exploration

I signed up to Elite Dangerous as an explorer. I worked up to getting a DBX and have got bigger ships, but the DBX suits me fine regardless of the scoop limitations. I enjoyed dropping into a system, 'honking' and then choosing whether to explore.

But, I've not been exploring for a while and have also had a break from Elite. On my return the new exploration system baffles me, with different HUD's and the fact that individual planets, asteroid belts etc. just seem to trickle in as a discovery when I drop into a system,

Is there an idiots guide out there for the new exploration method?

I'll be exploring in my DBX, but i'll also be transporting explorers in an Orca. What modules/upgrades/engineers are recommended?

But basically, for a returning explorer, is there a guide on what I need to do?

Last edited:

Edit: Removed link to fdev's Exploration video as they have removed it ....

Last edited:
Lots of How-To videos out there as Factabulous has provided a good one.

Summary:
Discovery Scanner (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) are not purchaseable module anymore. An Advanced Discovery Scanner is installed on all ships now (aka, built-in). It automagically detects and scans objects within a certain range of your ship in SC. Thus, objects close to the spawn star will be identified for you.

The Full Spectrum Scanner (FSS) does what the Detailed Surface Scanner used to do and is built-in to all ships. It has a tutorial the 1st time you use it. The gist of it being you can get those detailed scans now from the spawn star. You just have to come to no accelleration in SC and bind a key to activate (and exit) it. In the FSS UI, adjust the frequency (bottom-middle) to the types of objects the Discovery Scanner found. Once the white circle appears while hovering on an unresolved blob and adjusting the frequency, zoom in to get the data. It may take more than one zoom-in to get to the object, though.

The Detailed Surface Scanner is now used to launch probes at an object to get a surface scan. Multiple probes required to get 100% (90% triggers 100% btw) and a bonus for efficiency (using fewer probes). First player to turn in surface mapped data to Universal Cartographics gets their name on the object as First Mapped By.

Just got in - and fdev seem to have removed both the 3.3 videos - exploration and mining (they were both there yesterday). Will try and get in touch with them tomorrow & find out why, as they were both good :(

Thanks for the replies and advice, especially SciTrekker and Factabulous.

It was the Full Spectrum Scanner that was confusing me, especially the prerequisite to be stationary. I think I've bound a key to activate it (and exit - I assume it's not just a toggle?).

We'll see when I try exploring with my Orca or DBX.

It's a shame they've made exploring so awkward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and advice, especially SciTrekker and Factabulous.

It was the Full Spectrum Scanner that was confusing me, especially the prerequisite to be stationary. I think I've bound a key to activate it (and exit - I assume it's not just a toggle?).

We'll see when I try exploring with my Orca or DBX.

It's a shame they've made exploring so awkward.
It would be interesting to hear your views once you have turned the data in....

I need to know, please, how do you report my life-forms that I actually discovered?
I am way out there...I don't have a rover. But I scanned the planet, set on drones to scan it in detail. I even flew over them to take a picture.
But my codex does not show it as discovered.

Using the composition scanner should work,but you have to be quite close fo long enogh to complete the scan.You don't need to land.
Yup - but you have a Composition Scanner (C/S) in both ship and SRV, though it probably needs mapping to a fire group. Most people map it in the same group as the Data Link scanner but be aware it takes longer to scan, so don't let the data link completion noise make you think it is finished!

So, just to confirm, the composition scanner comes standard in all ships?

All these scanners and key mappings are getting very confusing.

(Edit - and do I need to buy a composite scanner for my dune buggy, or whatever the thing is called?)

Last edited:
When they introduced Composition Scanners, they automagically retrofitted them onto all ships and SRVs. You do not need to go back to starport to buy them. But you do need to put it into a fire group for both your ship and your SRV if you want to use it. To use the scanner you "fire" it like a weapon while the entity is in the target sights.

Top Bottom