I present you a G5 Laser rifle

RF6ovlP.png
I don't get it? What's the punchline?

So where specifically do you look, once you get back to the base or on the ship, what's stolen or not?
In your inventory on your ship/systems menu. Go to the second tab down, you'll be looking at your "inventory", not your ship cargo. Above that is a "Transfer" button. Hit that, it allows you to transfer items into your backpack. There you can check your items, consumables, data, etc. That is where you can see what is and is not listed as stolen.

Just needs a data trader and a goods trader I'm getting lots of stuff, just not the right stuff.

Should be a straightforward fix that is consistent with the existing engineering system.

I don't get it? What's the punchline?
It's an Elder Scrolls joke where items marked stolen, even if they're as mundane as an apple, can be identified by merchants as stolen goods. That player character had to go out of their way to a black market fence to get rid of them!

It's an Elder Scrolls joke where items marked stolen, even if they're as mundane as an apple, can be identified by merchants as stolen goods. That player character had to go out of their way to a black market fence to get rid of them!
Oh! Gotcha.
Yes, I get it now.

So the RNG thing is what's most problematic. I wasn't doing speed runs, it's not my thing. What became obvious though is the way that very common\common\standard\etc plays into this. Absolutely fascinating.

The one thing I haven't seen is what happens to mat availability as mission rewards as you increase faction rep.

Has anyone paid attention to that?

It is odd that a judgement has been made on an incomplete alpha - and an excellent post made in the feedback section detailing the efforts made to get to G5 - which, understandably, is unlikely to be 'feature complete' today.

Phase 4 is where criticism should pour in if the mechanic remains the same as in Phase 1, as that should be the closest to the release we get. Certainly if the 'mat drops' are as poor then even I'll make a noise about it!

Me, I'll picj the stuff up, just like in the main game, as I play - it doesn't matter to me if it takes a year to get, you, of course will follow your own desire for upgrades.

Naturally, those who wish G5 everything "NOW!" are going to grind their rear-ends off regardless - tell me I'm wrong!

I'm not going to go over the old ground of explaining why "designers" are used to, and welcome constructive criticism all I can say is that as a designer it's both useful and expected so long as it's considered and conveyed in a clear fashion.

One of the oft ignored rebuttals of the "I'll just collect these as a byproduct of playing and I don't care how long it takes me" is that you can't. There are materials which require you to focus time on them because you won't just stumble accross them in any meaningful quantity.

With all due respect and take this as it's intended, if you are happy to take a year to upgrade a gun, youre not really much use to the Devs from a feedback point of view, you're (in the nicest possible way) a niche player and likely not that engaged in this mechanism. For example it's why my feedback on Power play would be useless because the only time I acknowledge it's existence is when I do a Merritt's drop on week 4 to get the special, then quit.

I'm not going to go over the old ground of explaining why "designers" are used to, and welcome constructive criticism all I can say is that as a designer it's both useful and expected so long as it's considered and conveyed in a clear fashion.

One of the oft ignored rebuttals of the "I'll just collect these as a byproduct of playing and I don't care how long it takes me" is that you can't. There are materials which require you to focus time on them because you won't just stumble accross them in any meaningful quantity.

With all due respect and take this as it's intended, if you are happy to take a year to upgrade a gun, youre not really much use to the Devs from a feedback point of view, you're (in the nicest possible way) a niche player and likely not that engaged in this mechanism. For example it's why my feedback on Power play would be useless because the only time I acknowledge it's existence is when I do a Merritt's drop on week 4 to get the special, then quit.
100 percent agree, if someone isnt actively engaging in a gameplay loop, i dont think they should sit there and gaslight people that have identified issues. All this does is re-enforces a devs questionable decision and immediately puts the player in the wrong over a mechanic that this passive player doesnt even fully understand. If it doesnt matter how long it takes you to get enough materials to do something, then what difference does it make to you if its easier for the people that actively seek them out? its that simple, if you dont care then at least dont get upset about it when others do care, and least of all dont make false instant gratification equivalencies and try to gaslight people. Its just not constructive.

Last edited:
100 percent agree, if someone isnt actively engaging in a gameplay loop, i dont think they should sit there and gaslight people that have identified issues. All this does is re-enforces a devs questionable decision and immediately puts the player in the wrong over a mechanic that this passive player doesnt even fully understand. If it doesnt matter how long it takes you to get enough materials to do something, then what difference does it make to you if its easier for the people that actively seek them out? its that simple, if you dont care then at least dont get upset about it when others do care, and least of all dont make false instant gratification equivalencies and try to gaslight people. Its just not constructive.
It's one thing that has never made sense to me about these forums.

⢀⡴⠑⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣤⣤⣤⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠸⡇⠀⠿⡀⠀⠀⠀⣀⡴⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠑⢄⣠⠾⠁⣀⣄⡈⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡀⠁⠀⠀⠈⠙⠛⠂⠈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⡿⢿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⣁⣀⠀⠴⠂⠙⣗⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⠭⢤⣴⣦⣤⣹⠀⠀⠀⢀⢴⣶⣆
⠀⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣷⣮⣽⣾⣿⣥⣴⣿⣿⡿⢂⠔⢚⡿⢿⣿⣦⣴⣾⠁⠸⣼⡿
⠀⢀⡞⠁⠙⠻⠿⠟⠉⠀⠛⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣌⢤⣼⣿⣾⣿⡟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣾⣷⣶⠇⠀⠀⣤⣄⣀⡀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠉⠈⠉⠀⠀⢦⡈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣶⣶⣶⣶⣤⣽⡹⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠲⣽⡻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣜⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣷⣶⣮⣭⣽⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠛⠻⠿⠿⠿⠿⠛⠉ Welcome to the internet

The one thing I haven't seen is what happens to mat availability as mission rewards as you increase faction rep.

Has anyone paid attention to that?
I have. I'm not seeing any significant difference between the factions I'm allied with or the raiders faction that hates me because I keep shooting their dudes. Half the time the raiders offer more credits and a material with higher trade value than the allies for the same mission and threat level.

I have. I'm not seeing any significant difference between the factions I'm allied with or the raiders faction that hates me because I keep shooting their dudes. Half the time the raiders offer more credits and a material with higher trade value than the allies for the same mission and threat level.
LOL! That just 'funny'. Thanks for letting us know.

If they want possible solutions to the terrible RNG drops for untradable materials, they could start by giving those out as mission rewards instead of one of the same doodads you'll find 30 of for free on the same mission.

Time +30 hours sounds ok to me, Elite is a game you play long term, and a G5 whatever is not the aim of the game more like a bonus you can achieve. With that in mind we should be able to "melt" down our rifles and use the materials to rebuild another version, buying a new rifle of course.

For a gun? that's a ridiculous considering we have to do stupid engineer crap as well for guns.... thats another 20hrs give or take

other thing is, i originally thought engineers would just have there own line of weapons thus making things interesting or have attachments like nade launcher, better scopes,
barrel attachments. So engineers sounds like it might really make people who are actually skilled at shooters practically useless?

Last edited:
For a gun? that's a ridiculous considering we have to do stupid engineer crap as well for guns.... thats another 20hrs give or take

other thing is, i originally thought engineers would just have there own line of weapons thus making things interesting or have attachments like nade launcher, better scopes,
barrel attachments. So engineers sounds like it might really make people who are actually skilled at shooters practically useless?
That’s why it should not be easy to get, it’s something you do as a bonus while you do missions, you don’t need it, it’s more an extra progression.

I'm pretty sure that 'engineering' of weapons is going to what you say, cuz we have 5 'engineering' slots. Current 'upgrading' is more like making E rated ship to A rated, but basically straight increasing DPS and while we have that TTK upgrading is mandatory.

That’s why it should not be easy to get, it’s something you do as a bonus while you do missions, you don’t need it, it’s more an extra progression.
…why not to put additional layer of grind then? Let's put those mats in thargoid bases, put dozens of guards with extremely high TTK and a couple of swarms guarding it? Also make it RNG with drop chances like 0,5% for 1 MI to drop and a cooldown timer of 1 week. Just to make sure that litterally nobody will ever do the upgrades.

I'm pretty sure that 'engineering' of weapons is going to what you say, cuz we have 5 'engineering' slots. Current 'upgrading' is more like making E rated ship to A rated, but basically straight increasing DPS and while we have that TTK upgrading is mandatory.

…why not to put additional layer of grind then? Let's put those mats in thargoid bases, put dozens of guards with extremely high TTK and a couple of swarms guarding it? Also make it RNG with drop chances like 0,5% for 1 MI to drop and a cooldown timer of 1 week. Just to make sure that litterally nobody will ever do the upgrades.
It's not a grind, instead of money, you get materials while you do the missions, and at some point you got enough materials to make your weapon upgrade.
The problem is the some people want the Uber gun now, without making an effort, so why have it? regarding the ships you can change a lot, so it's not just about the guns for them.

It's not a grind, instead of money, you get materials while you do the missions, and at some point you got enough materials to make your weapon upgrade.
The problem is the some people want the Uber gun now, without making an effort, so why have it? regarding the ships you can change a lot, so it's not just about the guns for them.
Doing missions for MI literally has the chance to give you one an hour if you can do 3 missions an hour to the places they spawn the most... if you play passively relying on these to fall out of the sky into your lap you wont ever actually get to G5 based on these values. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-chance-and-why-it-needs-to-be-buffed.570322/

IF YOU YOURSELF dont bother with actively engaging in these mechanics why are you gaslighting people that see issues and do ACTIVELY seek this content? you dont know what you are talking about in the slightest

Top Bottom