I present you a G5 Laser rifle

It's not a grind, instead of money, you get materials while you do the missions, and at some point you got enough materials to make your weapon upgrade.
The problem is the some people want the Uber gun now, without making an effort, so why have it? regarding the ships you can change a lot, so it's not just about the guns for them.
At the moment playing with current gameplay loop you get enough items and materials grade your equipment almost without any grind at all, just know what you need and where to find it. And with inventory limits you are pointed toward either trying out different guns or setting on two and collecting mats for it. However, you also need data, which with current rates is unobtainable. That is the problem.

It's not a grind, instead of money, you get materials while you do the missions, and at some point you got enough materials to make your weapon upgrade.
The problem is the some people want the Uber gun now, without making an effort, so why have it? regarding the ships you can change a lot, so it's not just about the guns for them.
When you have to take same missions over and over not to complete them but to get relatively easy access to a couple of spots where might be 1-2 mats it is a grind. That point when you would collect 'enough' materials might never arrive just because players don't have separated storages for items as we have for materials in EDH or just because of RNG.
And yes, G5 weapons is still meh, not even close to definition of 'uber gun'.

At the moment playing with current gameplay loop you get enough items and materials grade your equipment almost without any grind at all, just know what you need and where to find it. And with inventory limits you are pointed toward either trying out different guns or setting on two and collecting mats for it. However, you also need data, which with current rates is unobtainable. That is the problem.
no the gasses and schematics are also a grind, you can get more than you can manufacturing instructions, i just focus on manufacturing instructions because they are the worst offender. when i say it can take 60 hours of gathering to upgrade a gun in odyssey, that number ALONE is for maufacturing instructions.

Doing missions for MI literally has the chance to give you one an hour if you can do 3 missions an hour to the places they spawn the most... if you play passively relying on these to fall out of the sky into your lap you wont ever actually get to G5 based on these values. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-chance-and-why-it-needs-to-be-buffed.570322/

IF YOU YOURSELF dont bother with actively engaging in these mechanics why are you gaslighting people that see issues and do ACTIVELY seek this content? you dont know what you are talking about in the slightest
I just gave my opinion, because like always in this game everything need to be downgraded and made easy for all the it’s too hard crowd, but I digress good luck upgrading your weapon 😉

I just gave my opinion, because like always in this game everything need to be downgraded and made easy for all the it’s too hard crowd, but I digress good luck upgrading your weapon 😉
Why bother commenting if you arent really reading? The issue isnt its hard, because constantly putting out fires and reactivating generators and just looting data ports at settlements guarded on occasion by ty scavengers isnt hard. its that through normal gameplay with close settlements it can take 1 hours to do 3 of these missions, and possible to only get one manufacturing instruction per HOUR, if thats your luck with RNG it could take 56 hours ALONE to get ONE of the required materials to max out ONE weapon. None of this described is hard in the slightest, its TEDIOUS and takes too long to do if you WANT to go upgrade a weapon to participate in harder content.

None of this is about skill, its about artificially extending gameplay to such an extreme that its unreasonable to ask of players. Something you might understand instead of shrugging off peoples concerns and whining that they want things too easily. Except oh wait you wont even be engaging in this content actively so i really dont see why you even care how long it takes for the people that do plan on getting hands on with these systems.

Last edited:
That’s why it should not be easy to get, it’s something you do as a bonus while you do missions, you don’t need it, it’s more an extra progression.
Even so it's a Personal fire arm, not exactly a space ship. 30hrs seems Atrocious..

Even so it's a Personal fire arm, not exactly a space ship. 30hrs seems Atrocious..
we can compare it to a hardpoint, idk what game some of these people are playing but not elite if it takes them 30 hours to G5 a single hardpoint, and based on new math its not 30, could be easily 60 hours of normal gameplay for the equivalent of a single G5 hardpoint...

Killing NPCs is hard for me, but that's because I never been good at FPS.
That's understandable if you don't have much experience with FPS. After a week or two of noticing the NPC mechanics and the recoil patterns on the weapons you'll get the hang of it. I'm hoping phase 2 really ups the difficulty (and rewards) of combat.

That's understandable if you don't have much experience with FPS. After a week or two of noticing the NPC mechanics and the recoil patterns on the weapons you'll get the hang of it. I'm hoping phase 2 really ups the difficulty (and rewards) of combat.
I never been good at it. I did play Halo 1-3, ODST, but I had to go for sniper action mostly. I know I can get okay with it, but good. Nope. Not this 55+ year old with arthritis and bad eyesight. :)

agree, so why even want to make a G5 weapon?

Personally, I think the engineering of weapons purely on DPS increase is a bad idea. I like the idea of modding weapons for larger mag size, recoil pattern and optic magnification, etc and hope they get that part right. As far as FPS go, I like the Planetside 2 approach to weapon mods.

As long as the option to upgrade your weapon damage is in the game, you're putting yourself and your team at a major disadvantage by not utilizing it for PvP and "high-end" PvE. The problem, as it's been discussed many times in this thread and others, is that the process of engineering those weapons is not particularly hard or difficult, it's boring and RNG-based frustration-inducing tedium.

Last edited:
agree, so why even want to make a G5 weapon?
ok, so lets get rid of upgrading altogether at that point. CZs will probably be more difficult, PVP will be more difficult, oh and lets not forget we will be seeing mechanized warfare and players VS SRVs is a csae where you probably want maxxed out weapons, the tougher skimmers you need upgraded weapons to take down in a decent amount of time, plus any thargoid content we are likely to see in the future, they will probably be tough. hmmmm, maybe upgrades are actually going to be really useful.

ok, so lets get rid of upgrading altogether at that point. CZs will probably be more difficult, PVP will be more difficult, oh and lets not forget we will be seeing mechanized warfare and players VS SRVs is a csae where you probably want maxxed out weapons, the tougher skimmers you need upgraded weapons to take down in a decent amount of time, plus any thargoid content we are likely to see in the future, they will probably be tough. hmmmm, maybe upgrades are actually going to be really useful.
Locking higher weapon damage behind tedious grind is a lazy design decision. It feels home in number-based RPGs, but is totally wrong in a Space/Military Simulator.

Engineering for fire rate, accuracy, ammo capacity and attachment number should be totally OK, but locking realistic TTK of NPCs and in PvP behind material grind will turn off players.
See the (Very sad.) story behind Ghost Recon: Breakpoint flop as an example of introducing number-based progression in a MilSim shooter.

Top Bottom