I present you a G5 Laser rifle

Locking higher weapon damage behind tedious grind is a lazy design decision. It feels home in number-based RPGs, but is totally wrong in a Space/Military Simulator.

Engineering for fire rate, accuracy, ammo capacity and attachment number should be totally OK, but locking realistic TTK of NPCs and in PvP behind material grind will turn off players.
See the (Very sad.) story behind Ghost Recon: Breakpoint flop as an example of introducing number-based progression in a MilSim shooter.
yeah you are right, but what we are seeing at the moment is ALL aspects of weapon upgrading being extremely tedious grind, even moreso than ships are for engineering today. Cant say i agree with the DPS though, cause we see that in horizons, and we will be seeing suit upgrades that make shields better at the very least so makes sense at least in my opinion. I think its fine from what we see so far mechanically, the only issue i have is the artificial gameplay extension via EXCESSIVE grind if you wanna go and upgrade anyhting to G5

Locking higher weapon damage behind tedious grind is a lazy design decision. It feels home in number-based RPGs, but is totally wrong in a Space/Military Simulator.

Engineering for fire rate, accuracy, ammo capacity and attachment number should be totally OK, but locking realistic TTK of NPCs and in PvP behind material grind will turn off players.
See the (Very sad.) story behind Ghost Recon: Breakpoint flop as an example of introducing number-based progression in a MilSim shooter.
This is not a MilSim shooter and it has never even for a single second tried to advertise itself as one.

Personally, I think the engineering of weapons purely on DPS increase is a bad idea. I like the idea of modding weapons for larger mag size, recoil pattern and optic magnification, etc and hope they get that part right. As far as FPS go, I like the Planetside 2 approach to weapon mods.

As long as the option to upgrade your weapon damage is in the game, you're putting yourself and your team at a major disadvantage by not utilizing it for PvP and "high-end" PvE. The problem, as it's been discussed many times in this thread and others, is that the process of engineering those weapons is not particularly hard or difficult, it's boring and RNG-based frustration-inducing tedium.

What engineers should be is there to add in more weapons an attachments. the stupid buffs and rolls are honestly annoying an sorta lazy. Like a blaster energy rifle line, or something... Sorry, but fps's should be skill based.

This 100% what im saying. This is the way we should go, Engineers was already super unpopular, so now it takes 30 hours to modify a gun? No...

Cuz I don't want to spend a couple of magazines to kill 1 enemy.
You don't need to, a few well placed shot from a laser and a few from kinetic weapon job done, what we need is a skill based game not a game where you need special weapon upgrades to win. So if you ask me, remove the engineers and add some attachments.

You don't need to, a few well placed shot from a laser and a few from kinetic weapon job done, what we need is a skill based game not a game where you need special weapon upgrades to win. So if you ask me, remove the engineers and add some attachments.
Yes! He is right. The engineers already have their hands full, with the ships...

ah i see, so the whole time you have been saying upgrading a handheld firearm in game, was trolling because you dont even want it to be in the game, instead just having mod slots which are already implemented, well 10/10 you could have lead with that instead of wasting readers time

I actually like engineering in ED. I also like the variety of ways one gets the mats, which includes mission rewards. shrug I'd like that extennded to odyssey

ah i see, so the whole time you have been saying upgrading a handheld firearm in game, was trolling because you dont even want it to be in the game, instead just having mod slots which are already implemented, well 10/10 you could have lead with that instead of wasting readers time
you're really obsessed with this issue and not even trying to see eye to eye with other people here. You need some pepper with all that salt?

Yes! He is right. The engineers already have their hands full, with the ships...
Are you ok with current TTK of NPCs?

Higher level NPCs are annoying to fight with anything less than g3/4 weapons. The time it takes to kill them on top of this clunky weapon juggle mechanic FD is set upon means killing NPCs goes from a fun, wholesome blood sport to relying on cheese tactics (i like gathering them all up next to a red barrel and chucking a shield disruptor and shooting the barrel) to speed things up. Otherwise you just spend time roof hopping and hitting ammo depots over and over. Part of the disappointment comes from not being able to loot the NPCs atm. The credits from scavengers is nice but I'd like to see useful items drop from all NPCs with high-end loot coming from higher difficulty NPCs. As long as I get something out of slaughtering whole squads of full chevrons, I'll put in the time to do it.

I agree with your second point. I'd prefer if engineering was just weapon attachments and modifications to fire modes. That's one thing Mass Effect: Andromeda got right about their crafting. This would require rebalancing the NPCs and combat in general and I'm not sure how serious FD really is about changes to combat during the alpha beyond tweaking a few stats here and there.

Are you ok with current TTK of NPCs?
I don't see it as a problem. This is my proposal, of a normal progression:

Higher level NPCs are annoying to fight with anything less than g3/4 weapons. The time it takes to kill them on top of this clunky weapon juggle mechanic FD is set upon means killing NPCs goes from a fun, wholesome blood sport to relying on cheese tactics (i like gathering them all up next to a red barrel and chucking a shield disruptor and shooting the barrel) to speed things up. Otherwise you just spend time roof hopping and hitting ammo depots over and over. Part of the disappointment comes from not being able to loot the NPCs atm. The credits from scavengers is nice but I'd like to see useful items drop from all NPCs with high-end loot coming from higher difficulty NPCs. As long as I get something out of slaughtering whole squads of full chevrons, I'll put in the time to do it.

I agree with your second point. I'd prefer if engineering was just weapon attachments and modifications to fire modes. That's one thing Mass Effect: Andromeda got right about their crafting. This would require rebalancing the NPCs and combat in general and I'm not sure how serious FD really is about changes to combat during the alpha beyond tweaking a few stats here and there.
I really like the looting idea. Currently when we kill an NPC in space, we get their mats at the least.

I disagree with the engineering or lack there of, It should follow what happens in EDH.

But a thumbs up for them dropping loot that isn't bounty.

there should also be faction based weapons from the Feds, alliances and empire. Then Exotic weapons' from the engineers not buff, like idk...how about seaker mines from Liz Ryder? Or maybe a personal drone from Ram Tah, hell a Tod McQuinn Lightning gun, maybe a Gauss rifle or a Gatling rifle from Zacariah ? This is how i feel engineers should be

Come back when we know all the weapons available, I will tell you my opinion after phase 2

I don't see it as a problem. This is my proposal, of a normal progression:
Yes looting the corpse was also a point I made early on.

Look I understand people are passionate about this subject, I’m not going to take away (not that I can) engendering of weapons, however if you can easily make your weapon a G3 where is the skill? This is exactly what force people to grind, a lot or just a little depending on the requirements, it should not be needed to play the game at all, I would much rather have rare weapons in the game you can get by having a good rep, through a mission, found it somewhere, looter it from a notorious pirate anything that removes the grinding part of a game, to me that would be good game design, not the same old mechanic we all know is just a time sink no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom