I really like Elite Dangerous, and here's some of why... (please feel free to add your own)

Me? Well I guess you'll all think I'm a little nuts, but here's my absolute all time number one beats everything favourite thing about this game (which is not to say that I don't pretty much agree with everything positive that's been said so far)....

I love that it takes so damn long to get anywhere of real distance. I'm currently thousands of light years from the bubble. So somebody might ask "hey, you coming to look at <something>?" My reply? "Sure, I'll be there in about a week/month/whatever". Okay, so it's not real and the speeds are actually way too fast, but nothing, NOTHING makes me feel like I'm out in the vastness of space more than the sheer time involved in going anywhere at all.
Note to Devs: please don't ever put in fast-travel. At all.

Hear hear, far too many people calling for faster travel ... I pray to god Frontier never listen to them. I'll never forget Buckyballing to Sag A and then realising that, at my normal rate of play, it would be months before I got back home again. I found the prospect both horrifying and thrilling.

Me? Well I guess you'll all think I'm a little nuts, but here's my absolute all time number one beats everything favourite thing about this game (which is not to say that I don't pretty much agree with everything positive that's been said so far)....

I love that it takes so damn long to get anywhere of real distance. I'm currently thousands of light years from the bubble. So somebody might ask "hey, you coming to look at <something>?" My reply? "Sure, I'll be there in about a week/month/whatever". Okay, so it's not real and the speeds are actually way too fast, but nothing, NOTHING makes me feel like I'm out in the vastness of space more than the sheer time involved in going anywhere at all.
Note to Devs: please don't ever put in fast-travel. At all.

I agree, having something truly vast and being able to just travel for day and weeks is really awesome.

I like how players can create their own concepts of fun. See fuel rats, speed racers, canyon racers, pvpers scheduling events. You really do have freedom to do whatever with your ship and even if we need some meaningful interactions with the game, players can always create content for other players.

The basic game is quite good. It just needs to be developed properly. Everything added since 1.6 has been pretty "Meh".

Last edited:
Just 'having' the option to try my hand at many different futuristic occupations. Been playing for IDK for how long and am back in the cockpit of my first ship purchased a MkII Eagle ''Starling'', When flying with my IRL twin Brother, Wingman callsign ''Tango 2'' .

The ability of the game to act as a way for people to play together, to create places and stories for themselves, equally, across gaming platforms and personal desire for interaction with others...

- special moments visually. i was doing ship logistics yesterday, returning to the same "boring" station 8 times. on returning the 6th time, the sun came up behind the planet station was orbiting, and the station turned into a golden glowing shiny.

This is what I was going to say. It is when you're going about your business and all of a sudden things conspire to make an amazing view you just weren't expecting :)

I love getting myself good and lost out there someplace, off the beaten track, and just flying into new systems and having a look.

At the current rate of expansion we're many thousands of years away from exploring the entire simulation, which means that the odds are good that many of the systems I've visited, or will visit, will never be seen by another player.

Sure, some of them seem a bit "samey" from time to time, and Im sure im anthropomorphising a simulated system far more than is probably sane, but I like to spend a bit of time just experiencing each system a little, spending some time in a space that in all likelihood will only ever have existed for me.

I love all the scientists, cryptologists, puzzle people and players who figure out the mysteries and fly off into the Black at the drop of a hat to investigate, catalog, and publish the immense amounts of data in this game.

o7 Commanders!

Top Bottom