Horizons I started my journey to Colonia.

Which will be my first real trip since the paid beta.

So far I've been able to travel, in what time I have to play, about 1500ly towards the "New World'. At this rate, which is what my usual playing time is, it'll take about two weeks.

Highlights tonight:

A. Accidentally dropped too close to a star.

B. Realised just how long of a trip it'll be.

[Update] Day 3

I'm about 3000ish ly out. I wasn't aware there are outposts (6) enroute to Colonia, so I made a course correction to connect. I've went from initial excitement for the adventure to "OMG what did I do?" thought's of self destruct, to get back to the bubble and now I have to make myself jump to the next waypoint without exploring planets.

I took my SLF and SRV and I'm glad I did. It sure helps to break the monotony of the jump/align/jump madness. The problem now is that I'm stopping to look at planets (looking for mountains, canyons, etc.) so my forward progress has slowed way down. I literally have to make myself jump without scanning or exploring.

I've tried to discipline myself to; jump in, honk, check system map for anomalies/POIs and (if none are found) jump to the next point. I do allow myself the occasional planetside excursion or SLF run.

I hope to be at the Lagoon nebula later today, if I get the game time, to dock with an outpost and offload some exploration data and touch humanity again before I set out again.

[End of day 3] I didn't get to play much at all and what little I did was mainly planet sight seeing. Funny, everything is tan......weird.

I've been thinking of exploration all day and into the night. If only I would have brought a detailed surface scanner........please let one of the outposts have an outfitter......

[Update] Day 4

After some delays I made it to the Lagoon nebula and an outpost. Hurray!

I'm hooked. I turned in about 3m in exploration data, got a few dozen first discovered bonuses and visited a nearby RES to keep my pew pew chops alive. When I started I was just going to get to Colonia as fast as I could, now I regret that choice. I wish I would have brought a DSS. I also wish I had no destination in particular and was just exploring for exploration sake. I suppose I could wander off anytime I liked, but I need to outfit better for that.

Anyway, it's onward to Colonia now that I'm "on the path" with at least a handful of outposts to hit every few days. BTW, FD feel free to give the outposts outfitters.

[Update] Day 7

Getting close to the Eagle Sector, about 500ly out. Disappointed with the way the planets are looking, beige and purple seem to be the most prevalent. Looking forward to offloading some exploration data. A bit apprehensive about the distance I still have to travel due to the fact I didn't outfit the way I should have. My build isn't really suited to exploration and long distance travel.

Next time I'll do things differently.

There is a weird feeling I get going so far. Something I've never experienced in a game. And that is that I've never spent days, probably weeks by the time I get to my destination, traveling in a game. I get the sense of time, more than distance, separates me from the other players. That's to say at a certain point the distant is overshadowed by the time where time becomes the quantifying factor and distance becomes secondary. If that makes sense.

I'm also worried when I get there I'll be disappointed. However, the journey itself has been enlightening to say the least. If only there was just a wee bit more to discover out in deep space. I've ran across some crashed ships on random planet surfaces and the thrill of the scanner tones was almost immediately scuttled by the disappointment of just a wreckage. It would be nice if there was some more depth to it. Like a life pod I could return or some data that would end the mystery of the deceased pilot.

Made it to the Eagle Outpost. What a relief. Was able to offload my explorer data safely. It's very weird being in deep space for a while then hitting an outpost. Tomorrow or possibly later this evening I'll head out to the closest outpost towards Colonia.

[Update] Day 8

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming......Oh, hello. Who are you?

Well, I'm almost a third of the way......

[Update] Day 10

Found my first landable ringed body. Unfortunately in my excitement to land I didn't scan it. Yah, that was bad. High G moon, no shields and some damage to the hull and modules lol.

I'm 2k out from the next outpost. It's been snowing here (in Michigan) for 24hrs and looks like it'll continue into tomorrow. So, hopefully, I'll get some decent travel time tonight.

[Update] Day 11

Made it to Sacagawea (SP) outpost. Half way there......

Last edited:
I am about 2500 Ly away from Colonia. It took me 9 days, 4-5 hours a day. Imho it does not matter how long it takes, after all 'The journey is the destination'

Best,
Styx

Safe travels, Commander !

Remember to scan at least the star you arrive at. And use the Advanced Scanner (if you have one) to scan the whole system while you are doing that.

Throttle back to 0 in Witch Space.

Fuel scoop at the outer edges until you get a feel for it

Never point your nose directly at any planet or moon.

Find a decent pod cast or music collection.

Safe trip.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I went from Sol to SAG A* to Colonia.

It took most of the time between 2.1 and 2.2 :)

Sound like you are taking the quick way round!

Don't fly into a planet or star by changing over to watch tv when waiting for the ship to get in range to scan it.
Hutton Orbital Radio is a nice music station to listen to
FSD Boost is a waste of time. Collecting all the material took over a week. using the stuff well
100% boost or 50% boost. by the time I plotted the course on the galaxy map I could of jumped a lot further.
I have a 6C fuel scoop. prob the best for my ship an ASPX. 650 scoop rate max.

Don't fly into a star or planet by reading the forums during the jump between stars.
There's a CG there now? great I was just there 3 days ago.
Have a good one cmdrs

I recently got the audio books "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" (read the books a long long time ago) and am so glad I did. I only hope they last long enough to get to Colonia.

I'm the laziest man on earth and this was my way. Jump, check fuel, scoop and nothing else. Set a schedule, and you can go look around some system ONLY WHEN you're done jumping for the day. Otherwise take frequent pauses but dont do anything else in-game. Start jumps as early as possible, every second counts. Insert honk in the process only if you're able to do it while turning+scooping without delaying the jump, but it's not obligatory and best avoided when you're tired so to not waste time. Quick look at system map during jump charge, just to look, but dont stop unless there is a planet-sized thargoid in it. Turn off all repeating ship voices, only 'woooshes' must be normally heard. Dont scan anything, never point at star. Scooping is best by doing it only every few jumps, reaching at the star's side where the scoop works at max, already preparing the turn for the next jump, and eventually 'parking' at zero throttle until the tank is nearing full. It's safe this way, and profound thoughts can occasionally arise in the brief moment of stillness :)

Last edited:
Good luck to the OP and everyone who makes the trip.

I got there after about 15hrs some surface scanning (not much), honk almost every jump, there is a lot of undiscovered stuff on the way. Slightly less than 500 jumps for me.

Not a lot to be made on the guides, but the data was worth over 6mil :D going to be scanning a lot more on the way back for sure.

Some good advice here esp the throttle to zero in witch space, I arrived almost in the middle of 3 stars in one system, had that been at full tilt it most likely would have been very very ugly, not to mention a tad toasty.

J

Last edited:
...Funny, everything is tan......weird.

I've been thinking of exploration all day and into the night. If only I would have brought a detailed surface scanner........please let one of the outposts have an outfitter......

Didn't take long for space madness to start in this case :D

Welcome to the club.

As for the outfitters - AFAIK only at Jaques. Ok, there's another one in the Colonia nebula, but that's it (check https://eddb.io/station).

Which will be my first real trip since the paid beta.

There are five of those outposts all the way to Colonia. Here is a link to a map

https://www.edsm.net/galactic-mapping#4/2440/0/12280|deepSpaceOutpost

Unfortunately there is no outfitting until you arrive at Jaques Station in Colonia.

If I would be in your position and not be to far away from the bubble, I would hit back and get myself a Detailed Surface Scanner. IMO a Detailed Surface Scanner and Advanced Discovery Scanner is imperative for exploring.

Here is what I did :

• I always throttle down in hyper jump
  • When I arrive at the star I turn my ship so that the star is above me and I can see it. Like 1/4 of the upper window
  • I then accelerate to 50% and scoop. While I do that I scan the system.
  • After scooping I push the ship down and move away from the star
  • Then I start the system map to see if there is something interesting and point my ship at the next system.
  • When there is something interesting I throttle down and start to explore. There are a lot of undiscovered systems out there.

Of course this all depends on the ship/outfitting you use.

Here is my outfitting:

http://beta.coriolis.edcd.io/outfit.../38GLAAAjIbmdlAAAAA=&bn=TheStyx-Nina-Explorer

The only thing I would have changed is not taking the 16T extra fuel tank with me. But in the beginning I did not FbS (Fly-by-scoop). I always waited until the tank was half empty, stopped at the star, moved slowly forward until the Fuel Scoop came in and scooped. After some time I learned a faster way. When I do a FbS my tank is always full at the next jump.

Last edited:
I started to go there when there was a CG for data, but day 1 of the trip and CG was done, too many Cmdrs already dropped their data and it was over, and here I was bout 2000 lys from the bubble, oh well, went to Traikaae instead and named a bunch of Neutron stars and White Dwarfs. Now am returning from a 7500 lys passenger mission, keep my eyes open for neutrons or white dwarfs, get super jumps with them. Was able in my 32 lys Beluga to jump 240 lys in 2 jumps by chaining a couple neutrons together. Great fun, but realized that those super jumps damage the fsd, good thing I have an AFM on board.

Made it safely to the outpost in the Lagoon nebula. What fun. Made about 3m in simple jump in and honk and several dozen first discoveries. I like exploration a lot more than I thought I would to be honest.

Top Bottom