Ships I want to hear your thoughts on the subject.

OK, so here's my situation, I already have an A-Rated Anaconda, for doing different activities, an A-Rated Federal Assault Ship set up solely for combat, a low end Type 9 solely for Cargo (working on its upgrades), and an A-Rated Dolphin to get around and take long trips (I absolutely love this ship). I bought the Python mainly because I have heard amazing things about it, everyone seems to love it. It appears to be as useful as the anaconda, it can land at outposts and it has better handling. When flying the Anaconda I feel like I am wrestling a real anaconda trying to turn and fly around in that thing, it drifts too much and it just feels waaaaaaaaay slow, so I figured the Python would be better. Now, I bought my python and I feel the handling is not as good as I thought it would be, add that to the fact that I feel it is way too squishy (maybe I am just spoiled because the Anaconda feels indestructible) and I really struggle to see why I bought it. I want to like it as much as everyone else seems to love it, but I am having a hard time justifying owning it with its limited jump range. I almost feel like everything it could do I already have a ship that can do it better. I am not mocking the ship in any way I think it does look amazing, I just want to hear your thoughts.

My python is Fully A-Rated with 3 Large Beam Lasers Gimbaled (I want to change the top two for turreted ones to counter its low turning rate but they are not cheap)
and 2 Medium Cannons
2 A- Shield Boosters a Chaff Launcher and a kill warrant scanner

I just want to hear your thoughts in the subject and different loadouts, what do you use it for mainly, why do you love, why do you hate it?

An A-rated Python is a wonderful ship. A fully engineered Python is an absolute monster of mayhem.

So much this... :D

A FAS is a good combat ship. But so is my armed trader Python. And she's not even rigged completely for combat (unnecessary for PvE). She eats anything stupid enough to interdict her.

It's all personal preference, so fly what you want. I burned through three condas and can't stand that thing. But that's just me. Isn't it great that we're not all alike? ;)

I run two engineered PVE Pythons one as an armed trader (outpost missions) and one as a HICZ ship, I think the problem most players have with the Python is that its really good at just about everything but doesn't excel at any single thing (like the Vultures agility for example) that sometimes makes it feel a bit average.

Try these builds

Armed trader

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...EYCcoCmBDA5gG2SEcIFA==&bn=Python ERC-E (EDMC)

HICZ ship, I reckon its just the right size not to be really high threat but packs enough firepower for the heavies (not so good with small fighters though)

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...=.EweloBhBmVZApgQwOYBsEhARgnoA&bn=Python PAx5

I love my Python. I think it is perfect for doing transport missions because it can land at outposts. I really enjoy fighting off the pirates generated by those missions. The Python's combat capability is good enough for self-defense but I wouldn't use it for offensive combat missions because it lacks the agility (maybe with G5 Dirty Drives it is OK)). I can destroy Elite Anacondas in it but those fights are really really close (that's the fun of it). If I make a mistake or the Anaconda has too many engineered modules (esp. high-grade thruster mods) or launches an SLF I have to run unless the System Authority ships arrive in time.

Initially I had it fully A-rated but with each game release the NPCs got stronger (my combat rank is Elite so I get Elite pirates after me) and I went to lightly engineered (G1 Overcharged Powerplant, G3 Dirty Drives (410 m/s), G5 FSD Long Range (26ly)) and recently to moderately engineered (added G5 Thermal Resistant Shield Gen and Boosters and G3 Efficient Weapons).

My A-rated configuration: 6A Shield Gen. + 4xOA Shield Boosters + 1 4A Shield Cell Bank, 3xC3 Fixed Pulse Lasers, 2xC2 Dumbfire Missiles, 1 SRV hangar, 200 ton cargo space.

After engineering I changed armament to: 1xC3 Fixed Beam, 2x C2 Fixed Beam (all G3 Efficient Weapon), 2xC3 Fixed Cannon.

I bought my Python about 18 months ago and I have earned literally billions with it doing missions and I had a lot of fun with it.

So much this... :D

A FAS is a good combat ship. But so is my armed trader Python. And she's not even rigged completely for combat (unnecessary for PvE). She eats anything stupid enough to interdict her.

It's all personal preference, so fly what you want. I burned through three condas and can't stand that thing. But that's just me. Isn't it great that we're not all alike? ;)

This is exactly my issue, the conda is a monster, incredibly useful, but I hate it. I hate the way it looks and handles it is just a powerhouse and difficult to find a job it cant do.

I run two engineered PVE Pythons one as an armed trader (outpost missions) and one as a HICZ ship, I think the problem most players have with the Python is that its really good at just about everything but doesn't excel at any single thing (like the Vultures agility for example) that sometimes makes it feel a bit average.

Try these builds

Armed trader

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...EYCcoCmBDA5gG2SEcIFA==&bn=Python ERC-E (EDMC)

HICZ ship, I reckon its just the right size not to be really high threat but packs enough firepower for the heavies (not so good with small fighters though)

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/pyt...=.EweloBhBmVZApgQwOYBsEhARgnoA&bn=Python PAx5

I really like your combat trader set up. I gotta give it a go.

OK, so here's my situation, I already have an A-Rated Anaconda, for doing different activities, an A-Rated Federal Assault Ship set up solely for combat, a low end Type 9 solely for Cargo (working on its upgrades), and an A-Rated Dolphin to get around and take long trips (I absolutely love this ship). I bought the Python mainly because I have heard amazing things about it, everyone seems to love it. It appears to be as useful as the anaconda, it can land at outposts and it has better handling. When flying the Anaconda I feel like I am wrestling a real anaconda trying to turn and fly around in that thing, it drifts too much and it just feels waaaaaaaaay slow, so I figured the Python would be better. Now, I bought my python and I feel the handling is not as good as I thought it would be, add that to the fact that I feel it is way too squishy (maybe I am just spoiled because the Anaconda feels indestructible) and I really struggle to see why I bought it. I want to like it as much as everyone else seems to love it, but I am having a hard time justifying owning it with its limited jump range. I almost feel like everything it could do I already have a ship that can do it better. I am not mocking the ship in any way I think it does look amazing, I just want to hear your thoughts.

My python is Fully A-Rated with 3 Large Beam Lasers Gimbaled (I want to change the top two for turreted ones to counter its low turning rate but they are not cheap)
and 2 Medium Cannons
2 A- Shield Boosters a Chaff Launcher and a kill warrant scanner

I just want to hear your thoughts in the subject and different loadouts, what do you use it for mainly, why do you love, why do you hate it?

Easily the most over-rated ship in the game. Unfortunately, many players discover this the hard way due to the ships cult like following. It's take a mint to make it viable and it doesn't do anything great. I owned one for a month, then sold it. i don't miss it. If it ever got a buff, I'd reconsider, but it's a jack of all trades - master of none and for me, that's a deal breaker. I like ships that do something very well. I give 2 craps it can land on outposts. I avoid outposts like I avoid bad neighborhoods late at night. If I could only fly one ship instead of having a fleet of multiple ships, I still wouldn't pick the python, i'd go Anaconda. But fortunately, I don't have to have either one of those ships, and instead have several ships. Most of which out perform the Python at everything.

I really like your combat trader set up. I gotta give it a go.

The PA could be replaced by an OC cannon + high yield shell but I wouldn't put turrets in the upper class 3 HP, a pair of class 2 turrets are fine for small targets, if you've got a full cargo hold that will impact noticeably on the Pythons average agility so bear that in mind if you get interdicted by something agile like a FAS/FDL NPC.

The Python is the go-to for BGS work for me, and its earned its weight back many more times than I can count.
Heck, its part of the reason I've got so much credits laying about.

For general Multipurpose my favorite Spectre; https://eddp.co/u/vUSKvo7Y
Turreted mediums and larges allow me to fly this thing on the rails and circle targets - taking advantage of its good cover for optimal damage and minimum risk until I get the chance to use the Burst for output.
SCB for security and its great for almost everything, and I often use it in the occasional CZ or Rez run for variety. Module sniping is key and getting used to powerplanting targets.

For Passengers the Pack Runner; https://eddp.co/u/VVBxRr1v
My first combat setup makes good use of heavy damage output from the Beams then utilize the Pack Hounds to rip hulls apart.
Thanks to ammo constraints it actually meshes well with the station-to-station transport runs to restock while handling pirates on the route.

Last edited:
I love the Python for its versatility. I love it because I have spent so much time in it. But do I love flying it? That's a bit of a stretch. It always feels lovely to get in a Vulture/FAS after flying the Python. Like pulling on a comfy pair of slippers after wearing workboots all day long. Does that mean I want to wear my slippers out to work all day? No. I love being in the Python but I don't love flying it.... If that makes sense?!?

Bought a Python on a whim because I was tired of the Asp X poking me in the eye. Ground my way through the Road to Riches in that D-rater to get myself into a Conda. Died twice almost immediately in the Conda (mostly for PEBCAK reasons), sold it, hopped back into a Python. Ground a much much longer way to the end of the slavery trail and bought a Cutter. Took some pretty pictures, ran some truly boring passenger missions, threw a tarp over the Cutter and hopped back into a Python. Used that Python to climb the Federal ladder, got a Corvette, remembered I'm rubbish at and don't like combat, sold it, back to snakey snakey. Still not having learned my lesson, I sold the Python for the fourth ruddy time to get into a T10. Like the T10, still have it, but I've got enough bricks in the yard that need attention; I'm not too chuffed about flying one.

Now, after buying a Chieftain and bouncing its smoking wreck off a Medusa, which ship do you think I'm flying again? Happily?

Top Ten rule in E|D: Never sell a Python.

I am a combat focused Commander. I don't seek to many Hauling missions, but at times I need to. An Armed Trader Python is the E|D Galaxy's 'Swiss Army Knife'.

I stick with a combination of Pulse Lasers, and Cannon. This is what I run when I run a Python.

Heh. Yeah, I agree. Problem comes from me being juuuust RP enough to want the 'one man, one ship, one galaxy' experience. I feel off-base when there's anything in the hangar other than my active ride. I can attest that if one worries about credits, this is a lousy way to go.

Last edited:
I like the Python for it's versatility...my armoured trader/transporter one, fully A rated and customized (only armour at B) is simply a devil, and you can do all type of mission wherever you want. ;)

I am a combat focused Commander. I don't seek to many Hauling missions, but at times I need to. An Armed Trader Python is the E|D Galaxy's 'Swiss Army Knife'.

I stick with a combination of Pulse Lasers, and Cannon. This is what I run when I run a Python.

Why the biweaves and not just the regular ones? I'm just curious.

Top Bottom