I would KILL for a Carrier jumping/traveling animation!

It just boggles my mind they didn't add an external camera to watch the animation through. Its a gorgeous animation and yet we can't appreciate it.

Hope they change this soon.
It's even weirder though - the Carrier Services do give an external view, so could have done what people want - but you get ejected from the carrier services view when the jump starts ... deeply bizarre.

It's even weirder though - the Carrier Services do give an external view, so could have done what people want - but you get ejected from the carrier services view when the jump starts ... deeply bizarre.
My hope is that's an "oh, aaaaaah" effect which will be in the live build but not in the beta.
My fear is that it will break the live build :LOL:

My guess is, neither and we keep what we see in the beta 😂

the answer is minimal viable effort - carriers are turning out to be the least possible work they could have done
That doesn't make any sense. The minimal viable effort would have been to give us what I wanted, a Fleet Carrier, without any of this trading module guff and wihtout any sort of offline costs or loss mechanic. There was no need for any of that crew business either.

If it is minimum viable effort then they confused what minimum means.

Also, they did the external view anyway, so all it would be is just leaving it enabled when jumping, rather than disabling it, again, a case of putting in more effort.

That doesn't make any sense. The minimal viable effort would have been to give us what I wanted, a Fleet Carrier, without any of this trading module guff and wihtout any sort of offline costs or loss mechanic. There was no need for any of that crew business either.

If it is minimum viable effort then they confused what minimum means.

Also, they did the external view anyway, so all it would be is just leaving it enabled when jumping, rather than disabling it, again, a case of putting in more effort.
The only really new thing in carriers is the art asset. Everything else is cobbled together from existing pieces. Stations for the persistence, Megaships for the docking and services, Capital ships for the jump animations.. which turns out it isnt lol, how they messed that up is a wonder.

Then look at the systems they offer - how many of them fit the view of it being a squadron asset not a player asset, how much has no business being part of a player asset? Upkeep? perfect for a squadron. High fuel amounts? great for a squadron with many people. Trying to mine fuel for those amounts when outside the bubble? same as the fuel amounts - geared towards squadrons. No universal cartographics? perfect for a squadron doing BGS stuff.

Carriers are the minimum that could have been done for squadrons and is a joke when they changed them to player carriers.

Porting new code to smelly old branches is often hard or plain impossible. That's the hope I will cling to until Delayed Era hits.

Impossible in business speak means "takes an uproportional amount of effort" which is simply not viable cost wise.

Porting new code to smelly old branches is often hard or plain impossible. That's the hope I will cling to until Delayed Era hits.

Impossible in business speak means "takes an uproportional amount of effort" which is simply not viable cost wise.
There is quite probably a lot of that in carriers as well, but Fdev painted themselves into a corner by announcing features and then repeatedly delaying them, putting the work onto a maintenance staff while diverting the great majority of the team to New Era. In the meantime players have been getting stonewalled over when things were coming, things that went missing entirely (like the ice planet update) and things removed (CG, II and Galnet) and stalled like thargoids.

So after 2 years of that kind of response from Fdev, to get this joke of a update for carriers has earnt them a lot of disfavor from a lot of players.

The only really new thing in carriers is the art asset. Everything else is cobbled together from existing pieces. Stations for the persistence, Megaships for the docking and services, Capital ships for the jump animations.. which turns out it isnt lol, how they messed that up is a wonder.

Then look at the systems they offer - how many of them fit the view of it being a squadron asset not a player asset, how much has no business being part of a player asset? Upkeep? perfect for a squadron. High fuel amounts? great for a squadron with many people. Trying to mine fuel for those amounts when outside the bubble? same as the fuel amounts - geared towards squadrons. No universal cartographics? perfect for a squadron doing BGS stuff.

Carriers are the minimum that could have been done for squadrons and is a joke when they changed them to player carriers.
If you see it that way, ok. But its still not minimum viable effort, they could have done a lot less (and in my opinion, produced a better product).

If you see it that way, ok. But its still not minimum viable effort, they could have done a lot less (and in my opinion, produced a better product).
Thats what I find so incredibly ridiculous about this. They could have just made the ships, put UC and RRR services on it, ship and module storage and the jump range - get rid of the fuel requirement and people would have been pretty happy with it.

But no, they put a market place which is pretty useless in terms of gameplay, outfitting with "packages" which is the same, punishing fuel requirements for a solo player and upkeep/decommissioning which has set the forums on fire.

First jump: Here I am in the hanger and I hear all the AMAZING sounds of the Carrier jumping (Seriously, do you have the best audio team?!) and I think to myself "Damn, I would love to see this happen!"

Second jump:
"Right, here I am ON the pad, and not in the hanger! Let's see this thing!"
"Carrier services are temporarily unavailable"
"YES! Here we go!"
Auto inserts into the hanger
"Oh what? AWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwww"

Tim, Dav, David, Please... let us witness the glory of Fleet Carrier hyperspace! At basic, show the Carrier flying through hyperspace... at best: Show your HoloMe with other HoloMe's (or NPC's) on an observation deck watching the journey. It would be AMAZING, like the first time jumping in the game.

I beg you, please make this happen!
This and the rest about FCs show how minimal they decided to get to develop this bone thrown to the players to make them wait for the New Era.

Thats what I find so incredibly ridiculous about this. They could have just made the ships, put UC and RRR services on it, ship and module storage and the jump range - get rid of the fuel requirement and people would have been pretty happy with it.

But no, they put a market place which is pretty useless in terms of gameplay, outfitting with "packages" which is the same, punishing fuel requirements for a solo player and upkeep/decommissioning which has set the forums on fire.
I don't mind a fuel requirement, but as it stands i find it on the excessive side. I'd have been happier if they could be set to scoop from gas giants or stars that you park around.

Considering the time they have allegedly been working on this it comes across as a pretty shoddy effort.

Going back to the carrier reveal stream, they made a big thing of the jump animation and run it twice. When we finally get to beta, where is it?
Even their stream was misleading.

That's simple to explain, giving people something and then introducing constrains afterwards makes people fetch pitchforks and torches. Just look what happened to ADS. Tons of salt spilled over "gimme back god honk", "I want to play it my way" etc.

Like said I still hope it was a case of XYZ will be much easier to implement on the Delayed Engine, let's just cobble things together here so reuse station code, reuse assets etc and push an MVP, while all the glory will happen on the new branch. Or it was just simply impossible to do in current cobra version constraints? We can only speculate - we will see when Delayed Era hits. And maybe the jump animation will be in live, who knows. It might be simply "in production" still ;-) If they showed it on stream, it was from a dev build probably so it exists, but maybe it crashes most of the time ;-)

Considering the time they have allegedly been working on this it comes across as a pretty shoddy effort.

Going back to the carrier reveal stream, they made a big thing of the jump animation and run it twice. When we finally get to beta, where is it?
Even their stream was misleading.
No disagreement from me.

Top Bottom