I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to swit

The problem is, of course, where do you sensibly stop with automation when considering the way things are going in reality it's hard to see anyone even being on a spaceship unless they're a passenger in over a thousand years' time. We'll all just be the humans in Wall-E. So you've got to draw an arbitrary line in the sand to give players stuff to do and pretend that we won't be the useless lumps of flesh that we'll really be.
I dunno what else would you automate? Seems like A->B takeoff, navigation, and docking would cover it. So long as it comes at a cost in time and loadout efficiency I don't see anything wrong with that.

I don't think the slope is as slippery as you're making it out to be. Or it's just a very shallow hill.

dxm55

Banned
Flying without it in the old games took a lot longer (in real time, was probably quite a bit faster in game time since the autopilot just used the reverse thrusters from a long way out instead of turning around and using the mains).

The problem is, of course, where do you sensibly stop with automation when considering the way things are going in reality it's hard to see anyone even being on a spaceship unless they're a passenger in over a thousand years' time. We'll all just be the humans in Wall-E. So you've got to draw an arbitrary line in the sand to give players stuff to do and pretend that we won't be the useless lumps of flesh that we'll really be.

Choices once again. If you don't like autopilot, you can choose not to buy it.
I don't even use the Supercruise assist because I think it's garbage and a waste of space.

I do like and have the ADC though. I can dock well on my own. Have done that since 2015.
But I like the option of setting the ADC on while getting off my computer seat to get a drink or snack and coming back to see my ship docked.

Some ppl like the stuff I find mundane. Eg: Flying thru SC, docking the ship.
Some ppl don't like the stuff I find interesting. Eg: Blowing up other ships.

The point is that these modules will be there for those who want to use them. For the rest, they'll just use that module slot for something else.

I concur. Automation is fine as long as it takes up a slot and doesn’t give an advantage over manual (I don’t mean the advantage of not having to endure manual)

I dunno what else would you automate? Seems like A->B takeoff, navigation, and docking would cover it. So long as it comes at a cost in time and loadout efficiency I don't see anything wrong with that.

I don't think the slope is as slippery as you're making it out to be. Or it's just a very shallow hill.
Lots you could potentially automate. I take your point from the gameplay perspective - hence it all being about a decision about where to draw the line. Where you put it seems OK, but from the realism perspective, which is what some were arguing for, you wouldn't be doing much if anything beyond selecting a final destination.

Choices once again. If you don't like autopilot, you can choose not to buy it.
The point is that these modules will be there for those who want to use them. For the rest, they'll just use that module slot for something else.
From the gameplay perspective that's good - can have it but have to do without something else. But it doesn't make much sense from the realism perspective which some are arguing for - a bit of software which should take up a completely negligable amount of a 33rd century computer.

Another “lazy button isn’t lazy enough” post.

Anyone remember the days where people flew their own spaceships in this spaceship flying game?

dxm55

Banned
From the gameplay perspective that's good - can have it but have to do without something else. But it doesn't make much sense from the realism perspective which some are arguing for - a bit of software which should take up a completely negligable amount of a 33rd century computer.

Well logically, an autopilot would simply be software integrated into the fly-by-wire hardware of the ship. Yes.
Likewise Automated/Standard docking comp, and the supercruise assist.

But well, you have to put a compromise I guess?

Already you can see some of the time-sink, grindcore crowd around these parts mocking the idea of an autopilot because it makes the game "easy mode".

It's a flight sim, so fly it, they say. Some people just want everyone else to play a game they way they like it to be played.
Although some of these guys also might also contradict themselves when they argue elsewhere (especially in BGS/PP matters) this game isn't just a flight sim, or centered around a flight sim. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

Anyway, having it as an optional module allows players a choice, and a cost.
U get the convenience of an autopilot (which does not give you any gameplay advantage, only an RL advantage which allows you to grab a beer while unimportant stuff is being done for you.

And if you are a Sierra Hotel elitist creme de la creme pilot, you can always use that module slot for something else. 🤣🤣🤣

Lots you could potentially automate. I take your point from the gameplay perspective - hence it all being about a decision about where to draw the line. Where you put it seems OK, but from the realism perspective, which is what some were arguing for, you wouldn't be doing much if anything beyond selecting a final destination.
Who is seriously arguing from the realism perspective, though? Are you? I think the realism perspective is something that can and should be completely discounted. Elite barely intersects with realism and even then only in the area of the Stellar Forge. There's not a single plausible reality-based thing about the spaceships; the way they look or move or behave; nothing. We can definitely argue internal consistency and coherence within the fiction of the game; and I'd definitely like to see more emphasis on that; but autopilot is going to be the least of our problems if we start tugging on that thread.

Who is seriously arguing from the realism perspective, though? Are you? I think the realism perspective is something that can and should be completely discounted. Elite barely intersects with realism and even then only in the area of the Stellar Forge. There's not a single plausible reality-based thing about the spaceships; the way they look or move or behave; nothing. We can definitely argue internal consistency and coherence within the fiction of the game; and I'd definitely like to see more emphasis on that; but autopilot is going to be the least of our problems if we start tugging on that thread.
That seemed to be one of the arguments earlier in the thread, e.g. the OP.

Realism, plausibility, call it what you like. That's why Elite: Dangerous looks rather better than the original 1984 Elite. If not in graphics why not in other areas? Sure, for gameplay reasons any game will have breaks from it (which you can separate out into purely gameplay mechanic ones and the introduction of fictional ideas such as FTL to explore) but a decent effort tries to keep some level of realism, or perhaps verismilitude.

I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to switch on as supercruise assistant and then be asked to take the ship to the correct speed and point it in the general direction, what you would expect is to select the target, switch on supercruise, and the ship would automatically taxi around to point towards the target and adopt the right speed, that's what would happen realistically and ditto when you switch on a docking computer it would adopt the right speed, the right direction and taxi in to within 7 1/2 km and before commencing docking procedure, I would just like to be a spectator during all of the above automation
would you like a "play the game" button for me too.. select how many credits you want and what rank you would like and leave the game run in the back ground...

Lane Assist in a modern car wont stop you from running off the road into a hedge.. come on.. its an assist..

oh please..

o7

I don’t like automation enthusiasts.

I don’t like their friends, I don’t like the people who benefit from their work.

And I sure don’t want it made easier by stupid AFK mode autopilot.

I don’t like their friends, I don’t like the people who benefit from their work.

im sure you would feel a little bit different if the Boing 747 you were flying on was hurtling towards the ground because the pilot went for a pee and forgot to switch it on..

the assists are for me a must have.. I use the supercruise assist for it give me time to look other things up while im on my way to dock.. the docking computer is also a must because I just prefer it now.. of course I don't use it when it comes to stealth.. etc..

would you like a "play the game" button for me too.. select how many credits you want and what rank you would like and leave the game run in the back ground...

Lane Assist in a modern car wont stop you from running off the road into a hedge.. come on.. its an assist..

oh please..

o7

Why not take it all the way in the name of 'realism'?
Customer gives Fdev money and receives an e-mail -
"Thankyou valued customer, the game is now running autonomously on our systems....move along - nothing more for you here!"
....Kinda reminds me of those "Adopt and African Lion" adverts - "Adopt an Elite Dangerous Commander - give us money and we'll send you pictures!" ......fun

On a more serious(ish) note - i'd be okay with more automation as long at it was locked to Open (and required slots to be sacrificed)....more 'content' for pirates and all that (ehehe) But you have to keep an eye on the botters, and, really, you should have to keep atleast one eye on the game your supposed to be playing .......imho 😘

im sure you would feel a little bit different if the Boing 747 you were flying on was hurtling towards the ground because the pilot went for a pee and forgot to switch it on..

the assists are for me a must have.. I use the supercruise assist for it give me time to look other things up while im on my way to dock.. the docking computer is also a must because I just prefer it now.. of course I don't use it when it comes to stealth.. etc..

I believe they were talking about the issue of bots, and how fully automated flying would make them even more difficult to detect and deal with. Bots are used to mess with the BGS, which lotsa players devote their time to and care about.

I believe they were talking about the issue of bots, and how fully automated flying would make them even more difficult to detect and deal with. Bots are used to mess with the BGS, which lotsa players devote their time to and care about.
I have never actually heard of this before, bots in games.. especially like elite dangerous.. further research by ones self is required to understand this.. I retract any comments made.

ive just a good read about it and It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to create an NPC that plays the game.. the mind doth boggle at the lengths people will go to to avoid having to do work themselves..

dxm55

Banned

He's just one of those grind-core elitists who would go around spewing "git gud" every 10 secs. LOL.
They're funny when they get edgy.

dxm55

Banned

Bots are only practical in some RTS style games that run on a single plane. Bots know the map.
It's very difficult to code a bot to read telemetry from the client and then have it be self aware, especially in a procedurally generated universe.

Most of the NPCs in the game are also spawned in instances of local or SC space. I very much doubt they are persistent beyond their instances. So no.... a bot wouldn't work well in ED.

Autopilot isn't a bot. It's basically the SC Assist, ADC, plus a waypoint following script that points the player's ship towards the destination. Maybe with a bit more coding for obstacle avoidance.

Top Bottom