I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to swit

I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to switch on as supercruise assistant and then be asked to take the ship to the correct speed and point it in the general direction, what you would expect is to select the target, switch on supercruise, and the ship would automatically taxi around to point towards the target and adopt the right speed, that's what would happen realistically and ditto when you switch on a docking computer it would adopt the right speed, the right direction and taxi in to within 7 1/2 km and before commencing docking procedure, I would just like to be a spectator during all of the above automation

Erm, you can only dock from 7.5km away. It has to do with the station using its systems to dock you remotely. Autodock also ignores speeding rules when active.

Supercruise assist: you can aim for your arrival station, put throttle to 75% and wait till you are there...

If you want to be a spectator, you need another game.

Ditto with hyperspace in you wouldn't realisticly expect to engage hyperspace and build up enough power to destroy your ship and everything within the vicinity for the computer to then ask you to manually turn around and face the direction and manually throttle up it's just not realistic

Nope you switch on supercruise and THEN you have to manually start fishing for the target and adopt manually 3/4 throttle and that's not just unrealistic it's absurd because that simply would not happen.what would definitely happen is either you would not be able to engage automation otherwise once you do it would taxi round to point to the target and adopt the correct speed any fool would know that let alone a rocket scientist

Erm, you can only dock from 7.5km away. It has to do with the station using its systems to dock you remotely. Autodock also ignores speeding rules when active.

Supercruise assist: you can aim for your arrival station, put throttle to 75% and wait till you are there...

If you want to be a spectator, you need another game.

Ditto with hyperspace in you wouldn't realisticly expect to engage hyperspace and build up enough power to destroy your ship and everything within the vicinity for the computer to then ask you to manually turn around and face the direction and manually throttle up it's just not realistic

You being in the spaceship at all isn't realistic to begin with, so let's stop using that faux-argument. Fwiw: I wouldn't be opposed. Walking around a ship in x4 as it goes about its business can be fun.

I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to switch on as supercruise assistant and then be asked to take the ship to the correct speed and point it in the general direction, what you would expect is to select the target, switch on supercruise, and the ship would automatically taxi around to point towards the target and adopt the right speed, that's what would happen realistically and ditto when you switch on a docking computer it would adopt the right speed, the right direction and taxi in to within 7 1/2 km and before commencing docking procedure, I would just like to be a spectator during all of the above automation

But that isn't what would happen. When I put autocruise on in my car, it only stays on until I touch some other control (brake or accelerator). Manual controls should always override automation, which is what we have here. I can only put autocruise on in my car once I've reached the speed it needs to maintain.

But... It is what it is. Enjoy it or don't. :) I like flying ships, and wouldn't be bothered if all the auto stuff disappeared completely. Though I do like supercruise assist, I must admit.

Last edited:
Considering how successful the current automation has been received it’s probably only a matter of time for full automation.
I could see it working well if we get roles and activities that meen we need to be away from the pilots seat.
Personally it would sit better with me if we had a proper crew that would take over as required.
How cool would it be to command you own fleet. Owning all those ships would have more of a purpose.
My imagination is probably pushing the engine passed what’s possible and changing the game into something quite different and I’m now completely off topic!

Considering how successful the current automation has been received it’s probably only a matter of time for full automation.
I could see it working well if we get roles and activities that meen we need to be away from the pilots seat.
Personally it would sit better with me if we had a proper crew that would take over as required.
How cool would it be to command you own fleet. Owning all those ships would have more of a purpose.
My imagination is probably pushing the engine passed what’s possible and changing the game into something quite different and I’m now completely off topic!
I think you're describing X4 ;)

More stuff to do while in SC would be good - I think someone suggested adding slot machines for when we have space legs (CR and time sink!) - that may be going too far ....

Nope you switch on supercruise and THEN you have to manually start fishing for the target and adopt manually 3/4 throttle and that's not just unrealistic it's absurd because that simply would not happen.what would definitely happen is either you would not be able to engage automation otherwise once you do it would taxi round to point to the target and adopt the correct speed any fool would know that let alone a rocket scientist

"what would happen"...oh, so you have a working spaceship with supercruise and autodock?

That is weird, I usually line up, charge and jump. Fishing is something we do not do in E.D, what are you on about?
Manual 75% throttle, you mean push a button you can map, how are we going to survive that...

I think you need to develop a space taxi game, with all those great ideas.

More stuff to do while in SC would be good - I think someone suggested adding slot machines for when we have space legs (CR and time sink!) - that may be going too far ....

I have more than 1 screen, so "there is" something to do while cruising.

Last edited:

All that work put in for the RNG display of the 'old' engineers would not go to waste after all !

I think that the game should automatically create threads on the forum every time you load the game, really it would save you from having to type in the stuff yourself and it must be even more appropriate for people that can't be bothered to think of a title for their thread but just type in the whole maximum character count..... :rolleyes:

(Just one more and the ignore function will be utilised so I don't have to see that nonsense ever again.)

Better a descriptive title than a vague one that doesn't let you know what the thread is actually about.

What an excellent source of revenue that could be. Arcade classics you can play on your ship while waiting for something. They've just become publishers, could charge 2e per game in the store. I'd probably buy quite a few.

Top Bottom