I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to swit

It's that 75% throttle that makes it useless for me. It should be able to decelerate the ship from full throttle at the correct time

At least it would be nice to have a key binding for "enable supercruise assist" when you have already selected the target, instead of fiddling around in the nav menu. Some of us use X52 and those buttons are prone to die when used too much.

Edit: In support for the OP: I love both the DC and SC and use both. It's not that I can't dock. I got my Corvette rescuing and rebuilding, so I think I've proven myself worthy of a little cruise control...

... Autodock also ignores speeding rules when active ...
This is a thing I can't stand. I don't use a docking computer, it's more fun and challenging manually; But I'm tired of being run over and pushed out of the way by other ships, most always NPCs, coming through the mail slot. All should have to obey speed and queue rules or pay consequences. :mad:

I'd like to see an end to run-on sentences.
I was out of breath just reading that post.

At least it would be nice to have a key binding for "enable supercruise assist" when you have already selected the target, instead of fiddling around in the nav menu. Some of us use X52 and those buttons are prone to die when used too much.

After having used a 52 till I got tired of the buttons not working/being wonky, I got me a 16000m joy+thr combo. Worth it all the way.

This is a thing I can't stand. I don't use a docking computer, it's more fun and challenging manually; But I'm tired of being run over and pushed out of the way by other ships, most always NPCs, coming through the mail slot. All should have to obey speed and queue rules or pay consequences. :mad:
Just shoot them :)

I would like to see proper full automation of the docking computer and supercruise assist and by that I mean you wouldn't realistically expect to switch on as supercruise assistant and then be asked to take the ship to the correct speed and point it in the general direction, what you would expect is to select the target, switch on supercruise, and the ship would automatically taxi around to point towards the target and adopt the right speed, that's what would happen realistically and ditto when you switch on a docking computer it would adopt the right speed, the right direction and taxi in to within 7 1/2 km and before commencing docking procedure, I would just like to be a spectator during all of the above automation
Here's a present for you: ...............
You seem to be missing a whole bunch :)

Let me get this straight once and for all:

Some of you enjoy the hard work of flying a spaceship. It's like manually shifting an old Kenworth through every 18 speed. Fair enough. I get that fascination. I really do. I like vintage mechanics.

You also think that because that's our very personal preference, that it should apply to everybody?

Just give in and relax. Get a DC. It's nice and it will make you happy. While you're in the shop, get a SCA as well. That's also nice ;) Then you can just turn them off manually in the panel to your right, making the process even more manual.

I think you're describing X4 ;)

More stuff to do while in SC would be good - I think someone suggested adding slot machines for when we have space legs (CR and time sink!) - that may be going too far ....
Remember back in the good old MS-DOS days how it seemed like every game had vending machines where you could buy random powerups and weapons?

I'm hoping we get vending machines, would be super fun.

dxm55

Banned
Standard docking computer, advanced docking computer, supercruise assist....

Frack all of that. They just need to replace it with an autopilot.
They had it in the old Frontier series. I dunno why in the heck they left it out in ED, especially seeing as this game is held in the future, after the timeline of the previous two.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But that isn't what would happen. When I put autocruise on in my car, it only stays on until I touch some other control (brake or accelerator). Manual controls should always override automation, which is what we have here. I can only put autocruise on in my car once I've reached the speed it needs to maintain.

But... It is what it is. Enjoy it or don't. :) I like flying ships, and wouldn't be bothered if all the auto stuff disappeared completely. Though I do like supercruise assist, I must admit.
Unless you're in a Boeing, amirite? eh? eh?

Docking assist is great but I don't see the need for SA, particularly. The only feature I would like to see is that your ultimate destination is locked in so on arrival in the home system it appears on the HUD without all the Shift-A, D, S Spacebar etc. If the station is < 500 from the arrival point I tend to cruise there at 75% power anyway, which avoids the need to whack the throttle shut at 7 secs out then hit the 75% key again. However it would be useful if the deceleration from top speed actually worked from 100% throttle to put you at the correct arrival point and speed.

Well, I suppose flight is automated once you have line of sight to the station you're aiming at, then docking is automated after you've put in the request. Seems like the only manual task is fly forward 1.5km on exiting SC, request docking and zero the throttle. Doesn't seem like we'd be missing much if the whole thing was automated. More time for planning my trade routes on eddb.

Standard docking computer, advanced docking computer, supercruise assist....

Frack all of that. They just need to replace it with an autopilot.
They had it in the old Frontier series. I dunno why in the heck they left it out in ED, especially seeing as this game is held in the future, after the timeline of the previous two.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Flying without it in the old games took a lot longer (in real time, was probably quite a bit faster in game time since the autopilot just used the reverse thrusters from a long way out instead of turning around and using the mains).

The problem is, of course, where do you sensibly stop with automation when considering the way things are going in reality it's hard to see anyone even being on a spaceship unless they're a passenger in over a thousand years' time. We'll all just be the humans in Wall-E. So you've got to draw an arbitrary line in the sand to give players stuff to do and pretend that we won't be the useless lumps of flesh that we'll really be.

I just want a toggle button for enable/disable Supercruise Assist. (And for docking computer too, though it's less of an issue )

Top Bottom