I would like to try some piracy in an Anarchy system

Hey all,

So, a buddy of mine has just gotten back into the game shortly after I myself have returned. We teamed up this evening - for the first time in over a year - to do a little HighRes Bounty Hunting to get him back used to the game. He was in his iEagle, me in my Asp Explorer - so, not serious combat builds, just playing around.

We were discussing other activities to do, he wants to do a little Painite mining at some point, but that's a solo activity really. What we did talk about was the possibility of going to an Anarchy system and "playing pirate" for a bit. We both largely role-play as "good guys" bar the odd bit of smuggling and have never once interdicted and NPC to Pirate them and thought it might be fun.

To be clear, we don't want to get a "Wanted" status or raise our notoriety - well, not yet at least - but we'd quite like to experience the piracy side of the game.

So, any tips? It's not really about purely making money, but rather about trying an aspect of the game we haven't before. However, our plan (well, my plan) is that we'll try pirating "properly" i.e. the goal isn't the destruction of the target ship - we just want some of their cargo.

I get that we'd need an FSD Interdictor, Hatch Breakers and Collector limpets along with a Manifest Scanner equipment-wise. We'll also likely use larger ships such as the Corvettes, Anaconda or Cutter as we have these. We even discussed splitting roles, i.e. one of us would be in a Combat-focused build while the other would be in a ship (Cutter or Anaconda) configured to collect and carry any loot, while also able to help out in a fight, though not the primary damage dealer. Basically a fun activity to team up on for the odd hour or so here and there.

I'd be interested to hear about others experiences with this type of game-play, from initially identifying Systems to pirate in (Anarchy please) through to how to target appropriate NPC's and how to shift the loot - one assume Black Market of course. Also, if one of us is collecting and the other shooting, can we split the profits from the sale if just one of us has the cargo but we're in a wing?

Just trying to mix up our gameplay a little and do more teamed up stuff, and make a few credits.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Try to find an Agricultural Anarchy.

For whatever strange reason, these appear to be places that transport ships may have a refinery, and if they do, they tend to carry Low Temp Diamonds, which you only need a couple of to make a decent wad. So scan any transport ships in SC, then check their modules, if they have a refinery, probably a good target.

Frankly though, a lot of ships in Anarchies have half decent cargo, as they tend to be carrying "dodgy goods"

Last edited:
Not that credits are the fun part, it's just that it's a lot nicer to make a bit more credits when testing out how to do the piracy thing in a way you enjoy, or find effective.

For instance, I like to just knock out the drives and rob what I can as the ship spins off.

Other people snipe the powerplant, then take out the drives to make them stop fully.

Some people knock out drives them nudge them to a near halt.

I've also just fired hatch breakers at taken what I could (though mostly when the cops are on me, so in Anarchy, no worries)

As for splitting the loot, well, you will be able to get a 15% credit if your wing-mate sells the loot...

Maybe take it in turns to grab the loot?

Or split the loot physically using those collector limpets after the heist?

But, no you can't directly split the profits, whoever sells it, gets the credits.

Thanks for the information - I guess we'll likely take turns collecting any loot then. I'll let him know that LTD's and Void Opals are pretty worthless and he should add them to his ignore list lol.

It is a shame that there's not a way to split profits 50/50 - or by any other agreed amount for that matter - as it would allow for interesting role-lay within the Wing, with each player having a defined role.

Scoob.

Testing this quickly before bed...seems FUN :)

Note: I collect some loot then head to a station with a Black Market - still in the Anarchy system - and I take the usual precaution of going silent to thwart scans. Is that strictly necessary, this is an Anarchy after all?

Scoob.

There will be no "authorities" that will scan you at an Anarchy station nor can you be speeding or be fined for damages.

Be careful though, as an Anarchy system can still have stations owned by non anarchy factions that will impose their anti liberty drool or laws etc p

None the less, I would just to keep entrainment of good pirating habits, run your silent running routine

There will be no "authorities" that will scan you at an Anarchy station nor can you be speeding or be fined for damages.

Be careful though, as an Anarchy system can still have stations owned by non anarchy factions that will impose their anti liberty drool or laws etc p

None the less, I would just to keep entrainment of good pirating habits, run your silent running routine

Well, even though the Port I'm at is showing as an Anarchy, I do still get scanned regularly. I just go cold and nip through the hatch and it's fine though. Perhaps there would be no response from their scans though, as it is Anarchy?

When I did a lot of LTD piracy I was based out of kurughnaye. It is an excellent system for piracy and pretty central to the bubble.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out that system when I'm on next. In my current system, where I did find some ships with Void Opals - thanks @Drelthar for the tips - the local Black Market wasn't paying so well for them, so I found another system - also Anarchy but Industrial - to sell them for double the amount. Only four jumps away.

Oh, I've decided that the Manifest Scanner is pointless as it just costs time. I found a ship full of Void Opals, but the time it took to scan allowed him to boost away - he was faster than me - so he jumped away before any cargo was released. What I should have done - as I knew he had Mining Lasers and a Refinery on board - was just to shoot off a hatch breaker the second we dropped out of super cruise. If he dropped good stuff, fire off some collectors and perhaps another hatch breaker, otherwise just move on.

I actually don't mind if the target doesn't drop really valuable stuff, I just like that it's his stuff I'm taking lol. This is quite fun.

Scoob.

If you were going to stick at it you can engineer the manifest scanner for a faster result. Mines G4 I think and returns a result under 6 seconds or something like that.

You can so follow the target with a wake scanner if you wanted.

If you were going to stick at it you can engineer the manifest scanner for a faster result. Mines G4 I think and returns a result under 6 seconds or something like that.

You can so follow the target with a wake scanner if you wanted.

This is very true. I think my manifest scanner scans in about 2 seconds or something ridiculous, it's ace.

But, yeah, if you find a ship in anarchy agriculture, with a refinery, it's very likely to have Low Temperature Diamonds (which you may have mixed up with void opals?)

Oh, yeah, sorry I typed Void Opals when I of course meant LTD's - it was a bit late.

As it was late, I didn't even think of Engineering the Manifest Scanner - I've never actually even fitted one to a ship before last night lol.

Wake scanner isn't fitted to my ship currently, so following wasn't an option sadly.

What I will say is that the experience is very variable when Pirating. The first few ships I pirated saw other ships pop into the instance to pirate me moments after my hatch breaker had done its thing. Despite being in a "Lawless" Anarchy system, I got paid rather decent bounties for taking out my attackers - I didn't expect that - which just added to my haul.

After heading elsewhere to sell the LTD's and returning, the system seemed a lot more quiet. I'll try again this evening.

Scoob.

So, having practised some more I realise that I need to slow down my targets sometimes. My first encounter was easy, as the target stuck around, however, other targets are already 3+km away when we exit Super Cruise, so I have to chase them. I assume targetting Drives would be the best way to slow them down? Perhaps take out their FSD? I've not really got the best weapons for those roles, though I'd assume bring down shields, missiles to the desired Modules would work.

Also, perhaps I'm just not understanding properly, but I'll send a hatch breaker to a ship with cargo, it'll do its thing and I'll get the "Cargo Released" message yet no cargo ever appears. I've had this a number of times now. I'm aware there's a slight delay from when this message occurs to when cargo is actually released, but to get nothing after a minute seems a bit broken. Am I missing something?

After my initial luck with that first Type 6 Carrying LTD's I've not had much luck since really - it's still fun though!

Scoob.

For instance, I like to just knock out the drives and rob what I can as the ship spins off.

Other people snipe the powerplant, then take out the drives to make them stop fully.

On that note, you'd better be prepared for bounties and notoriety while you practice gitting gud at taking out sub-systems without destroying ships completely. ;)

Course, it's not such an issue in anarchies but, y'know....

I don't know if they have been nerfed or not, but some times ago I used a couple of remote release flechette launchers to 'stop' my targets. These weapons deal damages mainly to modules, less to hull, and... throught the shield ! Perfect for disabling thrusters without damaging too much the target...

I don't know if they have been nerfed or not, but some times ago I used a couple of remote release flechette launchers to 'stop' my targets. These weapons deal damages mainly to modules, less to hull, and... throught the shield ! Perfect for disabling thrusters without damaging too much the target...

Are they a normal or Power Play weapon? Can't recall seeing them in Outfitting.

Scoob.

Ag systems with icy rings. You should be able to find some LTDs. I have made almost 2 billion in the black market doing this. I have found ships with 250 units, and was doing well with it after taking out the drives until my stupid PD decided the mines it dropped needed to go.. boom to my diamonds. I ditched the PD.

Top Bottom