Ice only rings

I have been only playing for a couple of days now but something odd has been happening and I want to know if maybe I am doing something wrong or if this might be a bug. I have been mining rings and asteroids since I started. I now go and check to see if a ring is rocky, ice or metal(rich) and do my scan, find the hotspots, and go to them...yet whenever I go to this hotspot (Alexandrite in this case) all I find are rocks with ice materials in them. No rocky minerals, no metallic materials only stuff you would mine from Ice areas!

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated please.

Planets can have multiple rings of different types (icy, rocky, metallic). Are you perhaps dropping into an adjacent ring?

Planets can have multiple rings of different types (icy, rocky, metallic). Are you perhaps dropping into an adjacent ring?

I dont think so. The ring is listed as rocky (it does have multiple rings yes) but I am dropping into the center of the rocky hot spot but still surrounded by only ice "rocks".

Dear op, are you looking for specific minerals? You got to use prospector limpets to scan the 'roid's composition. When you get a decent amount, the 'roid is worth mining, depends on what you're after.
This might help:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htdpct-6Mg8

Fly save!

I am looking for rocky or metallic minerals inside rocky and metallic rings. I know I have to use the limpets to scan the roid's but again a ROCKY ring "should" have ROCKY type minerals. I am saying that all the rings I have been in have been nothing but ice no matter what the ring type says it is.

Take a screen grab of the system with the planet name and the metal/rocky ring on system map,..
Then take a screen grab of the planet with your target locked on it to confirm your in the right ring... Upload to twitter then post..
Its likely the only way to confirm what you doing wrong or upload a VIDEO to youtube from the PS SHARE button function with record timer set to 2 mins...
Text only is likely not going to work out for you getting a solution to your issue...

Alexandrite272,130Metal Rich, Icy, Rocky
This item is available in all 3 ring types not just 1..

Last edited:
Okay, apparently that can be in all three I never saw it in an ice ring though which kinda had me worried. I went to another system and it had a metal ring and looks like it was good for it. Thanks everyone for your input!

Top Bottom